Dining in Shanghai

MalibuCA

We are cruising on the Crystal Symphony, and we will be overnight in Shanghai. We wanted to have dinner on the Bund at a restaurant with great food and ambience. We are considering M On the Bund and Laris. Does anyone have experience with either of these restaurants? Which should we choose? We will be dressed casually and having dinner directly after sightseeing (i.e., nice slacks/jeans and sweaters). Who votes for M On the Bund? Who votes for Laris? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Shelley

We are cruising on the Crystal Symphony, and we will be overnight in Shanghai. We wanted to have dinner on the Bund at a restaurant with great food and ambience. We are considering M On the Bund and Laris. Does anyone have experience with either of these restaurants? Which should we choose? We will be dressed casually and having dinner directly after sightseeing (i.e., nice slacks/jeans and sweaters). Who votes for M On the Bund? Who votes for Laris? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Shelley

Hi Shelley,

M on the Bund,Laris and Jean George are great restaurants made more so because they are housed in two of the most famous buildings on the Bund. They offer fusion food which is unusual if that is what you are looking for added to that the views across the river are very impressive at night with Pudong all lit up but as for the view of the Bund and buildings it is limited.

For an impressive evening I much prefer the Grill on the 56th. floor of the Grand Hyatt on the other side of the river where you get an unbelievable view of the Bund and Shanghai. The food is excellent and added to that you can have before or after dinner drinks in the highest Bar in the world at Cloud 9 on the 87th floor.

Casual wear is acceptable in most restaurants but you will find that the first three are frequented by business people in suits and ties. The Grill is a more informal place.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Thanks, Steve.

Our plan is that we will have our private guide deliver us to the restaurant at the end of the day, and we will return to the ship by taxi. My understanding is that Crystal docks close to the city. Have you any idea how long the taxi ride is from Pudong to the ship? I know that traffic in Shanghai is horrendous, and I'm just trying to get some general idea of distances and time for travel. Thanks.

Shelley

Hi Shelley,

Pudong will be right across from where the ship docks. What I would do is have the guide take me to the hotel, have dinner and then walk to the tourist tunnel about 15 minutes away, cross the river and the wlak back to the ship is about 30 minutes or 10 minutes by cab. M on the Bund is about 2 miles from the ship terminal but on the right side of the river. A cab from the Hyatt will take about 25 minutes as there are bridges to cross. The walk along the river with all the lights at night is a must.

Steve

Archived