Just off Vision of the Seas - Caribbean

IBAcruisin

:) We had a great cruise out of Santo Domingo to St. Kitts, Martinique, Barbados and St Lucia.

Thanks to all of you that answered some of my Royal Caribbean questions... Here is some info that might be helpful to someone planning this trip.

The plan in Santo Domingo was to stay the night before the cruise in the colonial district and do some looking around (and not have to stress about a delayed flight on the day of the cruise). We were not looking for a brand name type hotel but one that had some local flavor. We stayed at the Sofitel Frances and were very pleased. The hotel was right in the colonial area within easy walking distance of the cathedral, fort, Alcazar de colon, had a great bar and romantic candle lit courtyard for dinner. Breakfast was included and best of all the staff was very friendly. We picked up a map at the front desk and walked to the main sites (Alcazar de Colon, catedral, fort and had a "Presidente" beer at the Calle El Conde and people watched... I can highly recommend this hotel (except for families with children that would rather have a pool, activities) As you all have tought me, it is all in your expecations so keep that in mind.

Airport stuff:

- Fee is 10.00 us, you pay before immigration. They check your passport stamp at the pier so you don't have to pay twice.

- airport to town was about 40.00 us for two of us

Pier stuff:

- town to the pier was about 15.00 with tip

- I did the edocs and didn't have bag tags but like you all told me it was no problem. They wrote the cabin on the bags, sent the bags through the xray machine and off we went

- the building was newly renovated and was nice and not congested

- we checked in around noon

Ship stuff:

- I've been on 22 cruises and this ship has a wonderful crew. Everyone was very friendly and it is obvious from the moment you step on it will be a treat. I noticed from reading reviews that this has been the case with Vision of the Seas from the Mexican rivera cruises from this summer so I think the management on the ship should take a bow.

- the ship started the My Time dining the cruise before and we had heard it was a mess. We did not hear of any problems on our cruise. It seemed like the my time dining was used on the "upstairs" part of the dining room.

- the passengers were mainly Latin and British so the second seating was moved to 8:45 to accomadate. That is kind of late for us so we went with main dining at 6:15.

- The food was very good. We have cruised on Princess mainly and there were good and bad differences. We loved the lemonade and ice cream cones but missed the pizza and hamburgers on Princess..

- the waiter and assistant were second to none

Itinerary:

- Guadalupe was still on strike so the port stop was changed to St. Kitts. We enjoyed St. Kitts so it was no problem for us. We rode the train and saw the countryside and had a good time.

- went to caves in Barbadoes

- went to coco plantation and botanical garden/water fall in St. Lucia

- went to rum distillary in Martinique

To those going on this trip you will have a great trip... to Royal Caribbean, thanks....

IBAcruisin,

Thanks for the review, we will be leaving this Saturday and staying at the Hilton. I keep checking the boards regarding the vision since it has arrive in Santo Domingo. Thanks for all the information. A few questions: What time did your arrive to the pier? How was the airport leaving this past Sunday? was it busy? did you have a late flight? How much was the taxi from port to airport? Did you have your taxi set up ahead of time?

thanks,

CASP

Hi Casp,

We arrived at the pier around 12 noon. We stopped to fill out immigration forms but there were no lines. We knew from the board that the cabin would be ready around 1pm so we just had lunch at the windjammer until then.

We had a 3:45pm flight out so decided to take the excursion of Santo Domingo that drops you off at the airport (I think it was around 39.00). There were plenty of taxis though so I don't think that will be a problem. The airport was ok but since we arrived about noon I'm not sure what it was like earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

We just booked a cruise and would like as much help as possible. I don't believe it is permitted to leave personal email addresses on a post so I hope I can figure out how to get back here - it's been a few years since I have cruised or used this site.

I am trying to find out the distance from the airport to the port.

A good hotel, resonable cost (cheaper better).

Transport from hotel to port.

We arrive the night before, March 14. So we have time on Sunday to get to the port. However on the return we get back on Sunday early. Probably off ship by 10am-ish and then we don't leave until 2am from the airport ....... so what to do and where to be to get transportation to the airport is our situation. Any advice and/or help that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Names and number of excursions would be helpful also, the ships are usually a bit more expensive.

Thanks so much for any help offered!

Thanks for all the information and tips, having read your comments I'm even more excited about getting on Vision on 1st March. This will be my 14th RCI cruise and I was a bit apprehensive about Vision being an older ship so pleased to hear that the crew were great. We are flying down from NYC on Friday 27th so have some time to explore Santo Domingo.

I've just checked my booking on the RCI website and see that our itinerary has officially been changed, Guadeloupe and Martinique being replaced by Antigua and St Kitts. Glad that we are steering clear of the unrest in the French West Indies. One of the things I like about RCI is that the safety of the passengers, crew and ship is always paramount.

IBACruisin Thank you so much for your post. My husband and I are going to be on the March 29th Sailing. I have been a little apprehensive about Santo Domingo, but your post truly helped. Thank you for the review of the hotel. We have been looking for a place to stay, and I think the Sofitel Frances is right up our alley. Thank you again.

• 4 weeks later...

Picket Fence have you thought of registering to attend a Meet & Mingle Party - it is free and you get to meet some of your fellow passengers.

There is a thread started for March 29th in the Royal Caribbean ROLL CALL for the vison of the Seas.

Thanks for your review. We do a back to back end of march. What happens at sail away? Is there a deck party? and what happens if you are on 2nd seating, do you miss it? thanks:)

When we did this cruise in Feb, the ship did not sail til 9pm so did not see any deck party.

It made a bit of a mockery of Life boat drill as people were still boarding.

Great cruise, the ship did not seem to be showing her age,best crew ever and Captain Ingar is dishy,youngest captain with RCL at the moment.

He walked every deck every day and always stopped to talk to the passengers, a lovely presence.

Archived