Questions about how to see sled dogs

bocaj

Hi,

We (2 adults, 1 senior and a toddler) will be in Alaska at the end of May on NCL Pearl. We stop in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan & Victoria. My MIL is interested in seeing the sled dogs, but she doesn't want to take the helicopter ride. I've looked at the ship's shore excursions list and they have a couple that require no helicopter ride (no snow), but they have a "2" symbol in the description, meaning that it requires longer/more strenuous walk, which would be a problem for my MIL. Is there a short tour that we can book for her where she can see the dogs? Anything nearby in any of these towns that we could shuttle to to see the dogs?

As always, CC boards have always been helpful for us in planning our cruises, and thank you in advance for your insights.

we took the summer dog mushers camp through the ship ( Princess ) I use a cane when walking, so the shuttle van driver, took me all the way to the camp, after he had dropped the others off to walk the rest of the way. That might be a possibilty, guess you'd have to call & ask. Have fun :)

Thank you so much for the quick replies. Renting a car seems out of the question because my DS is only 2 and long drives can be trying with him along. :-(

I think our only option at this point is the summer dog musher camp and I will present that to my MIL and see if she's up for it. Again, thanks for your replies.

Thank you so much for the quick replies. Renting a car seems out of the question because my DS is only 2 and long drives can be trying with him along. :-(

I think our only option at this point is the summer dog musher camp and I will present that to my MIL and see if she's up for it. Again, thanks for your replies.

We really enjoyed the drive to Caribou Crossing. However you are right that for a 2 y o it might be overlong.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/alaskaZ.html

We have also done the Dog Musher's Camp in Skagway. There was a moderate walk up to the trail they use for the run, but at the particular camp we went to they had a golf cart for anybody who did not want to make the scenic walk.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/sapphire2.html

Sadly the shore excursion staff is really NOT all that knowledgable about exact conditions. You can try asking them onboard, but I would not rely entirely on their answers. This is the kind of question that this board is best for. If you can specify exactly what tour you are taking and which dog camp, you can probably find somebody who has been on that exact tour.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived