Coral Princess Juneau Pilot's Choice Helicopter Tour or Temsco's?

acecards

:confused:I am traveling with my husband and sister (2 scaredy-cats) on the Coral Princess n/b Vancouver to Whittier 7/27/09. I am very interested in the Pilot's Choice helicopter tours as they do 2 separate landings on glaciers with walks. I was leaning towards booking with the ship as they have contracted with these companies and have looked into insurance, reliability, etc. Of course, the ship is a little more expensive but I'm more concerned with a good reputation/history of the company & pilots as we have never flown in a helicopter before. Are Temsco's 'copters smaller holding less people or are they the same as the one the ship would contract with? Has anyone taken this tour and can offer advise?

Also, is it necessary to go to the Mendanhall Glacier when in Juneau or will be flying over it on the tour as described above?

If you are intent on only Mendenhall Glacier then you have to book with TEMSCO since they are the only ones with permits. Your operator concern is unfounded, all the 4 Juneau helicopter operators are long standing well established companies. You will have an excellent tour with any of them. However, your "walks" reference with the double landing is only about 15- 20 minutes each. If you want something more extended then look at a trek.

Seeing glaciers from the ground at the face and from above are 2 completely different experiences. If you have a big glacier interest then visiting Mendenhall via the shuttle bus etc would be worthwhile.

Archived