Back to Grenada?

llarosa

A few have. Sun Princess and one of the NCL ships to name two.

There are apparently some group excursions available through both local tour agencies and the cruise lines. You can look into those. I can't tell you specifics as it all depends on the individual ships and I honestly don't know what tours are being offered by the companies here in Grenada.

The beach is there and available. A bit rough as is usual around this time of year though.

You can walk around the capital, which is more or less okay or hire a taxi to tour the island.

There is a nice restaurant/guesthouse in the north of the island that you can go to for lunch if you're interested. It's called Bel Air Plantation and as the name suggests, is an old plantation house. The north pretty much untouched, but you will have to hire a taxi to take you there (you dock/tender in the south) and will have to drive through some of the more damaged areas. Hey, it's an adventure :)

Lunch is also available at other, closer venues in the town itself - Tout Bagay and the Nutmeg - are a couple of popular choices close to the pier.

If you dive, there are a couple operational dive shops.

We were in Grenada in 1999. We walked down the water side and poked around then walked back to the line of taxi's. Most of the passengers had departed and we were able to get a full island tour in a van for $40 or $50 US total (plus tip). We went to Annandale Falls, the Grand Etang National Park at the top of the mountain, 2 Forts and stopped at a roadside spice stand where we received a great education on the spices of the island (as well as purchasing gift packs for those at home).I don't know if the taxi driver is still in the business but he was very nice. David (Boss) Cobb Taxi # HB 468 Phone: (473) 440-3320

It was my favorite stop on that cruise.

I am glad to see that tourism is being restored to Grenada. We enjoyed this port and were saddened by the damage done.

We had visited the Belmont Estate and it was very nice. Hoping that it has been spared and is back up and running.

We also visited Laura's Spice Farm and Grand Etang

Spoke with Mandoo from Mandoo Tours today.

He recommends the Spice Plantation Route as a half-day tour for cruise passengers (his exacts words were "They love it!") http://www.grenadatours.com/tours2.htm and says it's in good shape.

After I talked with him, he sent me the following e-mail:

"The spice plantation route is perfect - Concord falls, Douglaston Spice Depot, nutmeg processing station, Grand Etang crater lake. The rain forest is coming back quickly.

P.S. If the ship is in port for the day, the rum distillery to the north of the island worth visiting."

Spoke with Mandoo from Mandoo Tours today.

He recommends the Spice Plantation Route as a half-day tour for cruise passengers (his exacts words were "They love it!") http://www.grenadatours.com/tours2.htm and says it's in good shape.

After I talked with him, he sent me the following e-mail:

"The spice plantation route is perfect - Concord falls, Douglaston Spice Depot, nutmeg processing station, Grand Etang crater lake. The rain forest is coming back quickly.

P.S. If the ship is in port for the day, the rum distillery to the north of the island worth visiting."

Thanks for the information from Mandoo. We are cautiously optimistic that we will still be able to visit Grenada in late February.

We just got home yesterday after two 10-day back-to-back cruises aboard the Sun Princess. We did not know until we boarded in Ft. Lauderdale on 11/12/04 that we were indeed going to Grenada. We imediately re-contacted Mandoo via cell phone (we had cancelled our tour with him before we left because our itinerary had shown that we would NOT be going to Grenada). Lucky for us and our 2 firends travelling with us that Mandoo was still available. We were excited about going to Grenada, not only to see the devastation first hand, but to be able to offer some help to their economy in the way of tourist dollars. The tour with Mandoo was WONDERFUL!! Would recommend it to everyone going to Grenada. We did a full day tour with him including the spice plantation, rum distillery and ate a a local restaurant (not one for tourists). The restaurant was unable to serve us any soft drinks as they are still not getting many supplies from other parts of the island. Mandoo's house is still without electricity (he said he hopes he gets it by December). But the general attitude of everyone we encountered on the island was EXTREMELY upbeat. Please visit the island if you can and do whatever you feel possible to help them get on their feet again.

Archived