NCL Fanning Island problems

Umbarger

Am going on NCL Wind in December. Have been reading how alot of the sailings never make it to Fanning Island. I can understand medical emergencies, however I have been reading how numerous times they have engine troubles. Now if the Wind has known engine problems........why dont they fix the problem instead of disappointing passengers. It makes me wonder if there were really medical emergencies or just say that because they dont want to say engine problems again. Seems like the excuses are always alternating.

Of all the ports of call, I am looking forward to Fanning the most. I hope the Wind gets its act together and makes it to Fanning on my sailing. Thanks for letting me vent. :-) Linda

Any of the problems I have heard in the winter are due to the weather. It is highly changable then and youre out in the middle of the pacific. I have heard of them not being able to go out, or them not being able to let people tender off because of the waves.

My in laws went on the wind in the summer and they had no problems getting to fanning then.

Stay Positive!

Read your cruise contract carefully, they do not have to make it to port, they do not owe you anything if a port is missed. Always have a plan "B" in mind, so you will not be disappointed if "A" doesn't work out. NCL does not want to miss Fanning Island either, it costs them a lot in fines for missing that port. I'm sure they are working on the engine problems even as they sail. NCL does not want to anger its customers, they are not creating these problems on purpose. Would you be more disappointed if you got to the ship and were turned away, only to scramble to either find a hotel, or a way back home?

We were on NCL Star a couple years ago, Fanning Island was missed quite a few times because of various problems, including medical emergencies, sea conditions, engine problems, rescues at sea etc... We did make it to Fanning Island and it was lovely and we consider ourselves fortunate for the experience. We did, however, go with the attitude that it might not be a reality, something could have happened. Back then, the complaint was the sea days it took to get back and forth to Fanning Island, so I guess there is no perfect world.

So, like Suebee says, stay positive and go with the flow, find some of the Aloha spirit and remember, you will be on "Hawaii" time. Don't book yourself so tight with activities that you never get time to really relax and enjoy Hawaii and the ocean. Remember to be thankful for your opportunities.

The fines are quite steep for violating the PSA (missing a foreign port, Fanning Island). I just hope NCL is not deterred from this itinerary. Always thought the trip to Fanning made that cruise the most attractive. And I still hope to make it there.

NCL originally went to Christmas Island on the leased 20K GWT Dynasty and I tried to book that in 1998. But I was taking 2 Cruising Newbies and concerned it might be a tad too much for them. Too many aborted landings and a bumpy ride. Shortly after that, the stretched Windward (Wind) replaced her and began going to Fanning.

It would still be wonderful days at sea, if worse came to worst and Fanning had to be missed. Good luck!

Sammy

We went to Fanning Island in June and it was one of the highlights of our cruise. I really hope you get to go.....but, when I was in Maui signing up for surfing lessons, I mentioned to the lady behind the counter that we had been there; she said she was surprised because people tell her a lot that they missed Fanning Island. I read on these boards about the engine problems before I sailed, so I was not at all surprise when we got a letter under our door stating the ship was having "unforseen engine problems" (gotta love that!) and that we would be off schedule returning to Hawaii. It was not a problem as we got to go to all the islands, they just changed the order in which we visited the islands. No matter what happens, you should have a wonderful cruise.

Archived