Denali Heli-Hike adventure

Sox Fan Cruiser

Has anyone done the Heli-Hike adventure in Denali?

We really want to do it and are even thinking of skipping the Denali Bus Tour options. The thought of sitting on a bus for 7-8 hours just doesn't seem appealing to us. This adventure gets us more with nature.

And please, no discussions about the bus tours. We have already decided to skip it.

The first thing you should know is that you won't be landing in or anywhere near Denali National Park. These tours go to an area east of the park. Not that it isn't pretty or nice scenery, but you are unlikely to see a lot of wildlife, except at a distance.

It looks like you are coming in early June, so be prepared for cold and snow in the mountains at that time of year. We have had a lot of snow this year, so the hike may be moved to a lower elevation. This trip is heavily marketed by the cruise companies and you will be going with a group of up to 10 other people, so be prepared to hike as slow as the slowest member of the group. The minimum level of fitness is the ability to walk a mile. I doubt this would apply to you, but if you are over 250 lbs you have to pay a 150% surcharge for this excursion.

Make sure you have good rain gear that can withstand windy conditions. The weather in early June is usually pretty nice, but we get frequent thunderstorms/rain squalls, especially in the mountains. That time of year, you should have a warm hat and gloves as well as plenty of insect repellent (June is prime time for Alaskan mosquitoes).

You do realize you can do a ranger-led discovery hike in the park that is longer than the heli-hike with fewer people for approximately $850 less than the heli hike for two? You would have to take a bus out to where the hike starts, though.

The ranger led discovery hike sounds great. How do I set that up? If can't post on the board, let me know and I will give you my e-mail address.

Basically we are looking for something that gives us the Denali "experience" but doesn't mean we have to sit on a bus for 7 hours.

Money isn't an issue so I would be interested in your feedback.

We are only going to be there once and want to get our fill. But again, sitting on a bus for 7 hours doesn't interest us in the least!!

You have to sign up for the Discovery Hike at the Transportation Center the day before. I think they're open until around 8pm. You can then buy a $30 ticket for the hike bus. You will take the bus into the park the next day to where the hike leaves from, which varies by hike. The ranger goes with you and then leads a 3-5 hour hike and you get on the bus and go back to the park entrance again. For more information, check the Denali website www.nps.gov/dena as they will have more information on the hikes in around March.

This hike takes a little more effort, so tends to be done by locals and people "in the know" versus the heli-hike, which is heavily advertised to the cruise ship crowd. You are coming really early in the season for Denali, so I would worry that you would spend all that money for the heli-hike and it wouldn't really be that great.

The ranger led discovery hike sounds great. How do I set that up? If can't post on the board, let me know and I will give you my e-mail address.

Basically we are looking for something that gives us the Denali "experience" but doesn't mean we have to sit on a bus for 7 hours.

Money isn't an issue so I would be interested in your feedback.

We are only going to be there once and want to get our fill. But again, sitting on a bus for 7 hours doesn't interest us in the least!!

I know you don't want to hear this, but I'm not sure you can get the Denali experience without the bus ride. I totally understand what you mean about wanting to be active and not sit on a bus for an extended period of time, but those bus rides are really the only way to access the park. It's not like other places where you might have multiple options, and it's not the "lazy" people just taking the bus.

The Discovery hikes are a great idea. Just keep in mind they are limited to 11 people, and there's still a bus ride involved. The length of the ride just depends on where the day's hike takes place.

A very easy alternative is to shuttle bus in and hike on your own, following a suggestion in Ike Waits book (http://www.denaliguidebook.com/).

I think there's also a tour where you bus in and fly out.

• 2 years later...

denliguides, it is great to see your posts!

I have hiked in Denali with family and also have spent some time out on my own. I am very glad that we started doing this when I was much younger and much more able than I am now.....I will always have the memories.

Your photos are wonderful!

My sincere thanks to you for all you have done for so many of us over the years. Much appreciated!

Archived