What to wear in Costa Rica

franosu

We are going to cruise Costa Rica in March, do the canopy zip line, horseback ride and the volcano excursion. I told her that shorts, T-shirts, polo shirts and sandals would probably be ok but I heard that long pants were needed for the horseback ride. I understand that you need water shoes for the landings (any suggestions as to what brand?). I know we do not need formal wear - just long pants and polo type shirts for men in the evening and similar type dress for the ladies. Those of you who have gone - what do you suggest?

Mark & Phyllis

• 1 month later...

Lots of very casual sport-type clothes for the day (shorts/polos/capri pants/sandals/flip-flops, etc). Not sure about the horseback ride as I didn't do that in Costa Rica, but in general I would recommend long pants for horseback rides.

Many of the landings are indeed in water; for a few of the "ports" you are stepping/jumping out of the tender into 1-2 feet of water on a beach. Shorts, bathing suits or capri pants you can roll up to the knee would be best for these times.

I didn't have "water shoes" other than rubber flip flops which didn't do me a lot of good, as I coudn't keep them on my feet as I jumped/landed. Essentially just landed barefoot and hoped that I didn't land on something dangerous. In hindsight, I wish I'd had aquasox or Crocs I could have worn -- something that is waterproof and will stay on your feet when you jump from the tender.

Dinner in the evening is not formal, but is dressy casual. Very nice polos & slacks were what I saw most often on men, but some wore suits & jackets and were not out of place. Women's outfits ranged from pant suits, or nice slacks & a nice top all the way to sparkly tops and cocktail dresses. I must admit that when I packed, I overestimated the casual nature of the ship (Oregon is VERY casual -- sloppy even, at times) -- the ship is definitely not stuffy, but the majority of the wardrobe I brought was more appropriate on the deck at lunch (extremely casual), so I had to rotate the few nice items I brought for dinner.

Think of dinner as going to one of the somewhat dressy restaurants in your town, and wear what you might wear of you went there for a birthday or anniversary celebration. You don't have to get completely dolled up, but you do want to look a bit spiffier than you did during the day.

Does that help?

Whoops, I just noticed you said you're cruising in March, and as it's April, I'm guessing my post is a little late for you. :o

Hope you figured it out and had fun anyway!

Lani

Archived