Jump @ '09 prices or wait until 2010 for 1st Alaskan cruise?

mommym

Hi there Alaska experts-first post here after lurking for some time. I hoping you will look in your crystal ball and tell me what you would do...We are a family of (2 sons 11 and 13) planning our first Alaskan cruise-only 2nd cruise ever-the first being Disney to Caribbean. We were planning on 2010 which would give us more time to save up and plan. I am getting trigger happy while looking at fares for 09-there seem to be lots of deals out there, but again, I am new at this. Do you think we should jump at summer 2009 or take our time and hope that rates don't spike too much for 2010? I tend to be impulsive so I want to be thoughtful about this but I just don't know what to expect. Are these some of the best rates you've seem for Alaska in awhile like I keep hearing? Thanks so much in advance for any advise. In case this helps, we are looking at Holland America's RT from Vancouver. I like the idea of both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm...

Leslie

Princess for Alaska is the best. They not only have the best Alaska lecturers, but due to the fact that they own more lodges than any of the other lines, they can cut four hours out of the travel time on the land part of your itinerary. Plus the College Fjords is absolutely amazing. DO NOT Miss this......

My wife and I went on our honeymoon in 2000, spent four days in Vancouver from August 4-7 and then went on a weeks cruise to Seward-Anchorage. We spent the day in Ancorage and then flew home to Washington, DC. We took the Red Eye. We told ourselves that on our tenth anniversary that we would come back and do a cruisetour.

After seeing these prices I almost wish we would have gotten married in '09, but I hadn't met her until the summer of '09. I would do the 09 prices, because we aren't guaranteed these prices for next year.

The main reason we aren't going this year is due to the fact that my wife started a new job that gives two weeks vacation time in the first year and three weeks in the second year. I can't do it this year because my wife will have 3 weeks vacation time next year.

My TA believes that if you book a cruise when the 2010 cruises come out, the rates could be very similar, but she definitely isn't sure. You may want to wait until April to make your decision as they may be out by then.

Good luck and happy cruising. I hope this helped.

Princess for Alaska is the best. They not only have the best Alaska lecturers, but due to the fact that they own more lodges than any of the other lines, they can cut four hours out of the travel time on the land part of your itinerary. Plus the College Fjords is absolutely amazing. DO NOT Miss this......

But if the OP is looking for roundtrip cruises, except for the 14 night roundtrip, the roundtrip itineraries on Princess are very weak.

I disagree that "Princess is the best". Where do they "cut" those 4 hours?? This is inaccurate.

I see no advantage to Princess owning lodges and actually their McKinley Lodge, which is out in the middle of nowhere is actually an overflow holding area in my opinion.

It sounds like you have one trip to Alaska, even though you definately enjoyed it, it would be more useful if you were to compare this to others perhaps?

I know, isn't the b2b part a little insane? But for only about $600 dollars more we gained a week...I would spend more than that at home on groceries and toilet paper. :D I checked the web site kenish hinted at-very clever hint by the way-and will see what they come up with. I realize the shore excursions will be spendy, but I also figured with all of this time taking in the scenery we won't feel like we have to do everything. Maybe I am totally wrong. I am amazed at the activity here on this board and thank each of you for your input!

Consider options of flying into Seattle and transfering by shuttle bus to Canada Place pier. It is $99. round trip and will save much more in airfare. Unless you are local this is just one more expense X 4 persons to consider...

Archived