Sky in port in Nassau - quirky question

racepoint

Can anyone name the cruise ship that was in port with us the last week in January (Sat., 1/31)? We were there with Carnival Imagination and Sensation, I believe, and a RCI ship. I'm looking for the name of the old, run-down looking ship that was docked closest to the shops. My DH pointed out that it was riveted together v. welded. :rolleyes:

I saw her too when we were there on January 24th. And yes it was the Regal Empress. What's the deal with that ship/line? You are right...she was really old and rundown looking.

CG

Its Imperial Majesty cruises, they are out of Ft. Lauderdale, they sail on 2 night cruises to Nassau year round.

Will be changing a bit in the next month or so when they get a new ship (that one is being forced into retirement, really don't need to explain why, you can tell just by taking a quick glance at it :p)

They have a board on here, you might want to check it out just for kicks...(i would put a link but im at work, and the computers here are, well, dumb...:p)

Can anyone name the cruise ship that was in port with us the last week in January (Sat., 1/31)? We were there with Carnival Imagination and Sensation, I believe, and a RCI ship. I'm looking for the name of the old, run-down looking ship that was docked closest to the shops. My DH pointed out that it was riveted together v. welded. :rolleyes:

Even though it's a bit of an eyesore, The Regal Empress to date is the Oldest cruiseship still in operation as such. It was built in 1953 and has had many owners over the years. From what I have been told and have read she has alot of real hand carved wood inside her with alot of brass as well. Even though I have never had the itch to get on a cruise with her I do believe she has a bigger following then some would believe simply because she is one of the last true oceanliners and was built as such..She is being taken out of service because she has always got a pass from the Maritime Law as far as Fire Codes have gone because of her age (All that real wood remember) But this year they decided not to give any more passes to her and gone she will be.. Just some info on her I thought I would share. Have a great night..:)

Wow, I remember seeing her as well. She sure is an oldie huh? I actually stared at her wondering how she still sails. Laughs... :p

This is quite a beautiful ship, and sails very nicely. We took a 2 night cruise on her in 2007 for my daughters Sweet 16, and the kids had a wonderful time. We adults also had a great time. If you go into it knowing that it is an old ship, and not one of the megaliners you will be happy.

Food was good, and a memorable time was had.

This is quite a beautiful ship, and sails very nicely. We took a 2 night cruise on her in 2007 for my daughters Sweet 16, and the kids had a wonderful time. We adults also had a great time. If you go into it knowing that it is an old ship, and not one of the megaliners you will be happy.

Food was good, and a memorable time was had.

I believe that she is a Beautiful ship.. Just needs some TLC..

Archived