"Last Minute Deals"

lysolqn

Great information Buellwinkle...thanks very much. I can't seem to edit my post for some reason but this boat sails March 5...not March 2, as I erroneously posted.

I'll have to do a bunch more reading over the next couple of days. Even though I've been registered on the forum or several years, I haven't done much research in the past. Need to get up to speed on all of the jargon, tipping protocol and potential perks, etc.

Yeah...the Uly is nice. I'm getting too old to be hunched over as well. But I did buy a DRZ400 this past summer (first dirt bike) and I've been having a blast riding the trails! Enjoy that tuber!

Tipsy

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I joined quite a while ago when I first thought about going on a cruise but I never followed through. I think I'm hung up on what could be preconceived notions...I'm not too interested in having to dress up for dinner (hell, I don't even own a suit) and I'm not a big gambler. I guess a few people have told me "if you're not into eating six times a day and gambling, cruising might not be for you."

I've got time to kill though and thought I might head down to FL to watch the Mets at Spring training for a day or two. Since I'd already be nearby, I'd might as well hop on a three or five night cruise and figure out once-and-for-all if it's for me :)

Tipsy

RCCL will be fine for a short starter cruise, no dress up required.

We are going on the March 14th Century 5 night....booked couple months ago for $299 pp inside, now going for $869 pp. We feel fortunate and are looking forward to our cruise!

we are on the same cruise and booked a cc room for something like $600 a person in early January. Now I think it's close to $900. I booked directly through Celebrity and was told that they would "reimburse" (probably through on board credit) the difference if the price went down.

I keep checking the prices and watching them go up, so I'm glad we booked when we did.

As for "deals" I always just pick the trip that appeals to us and seems to be a good price. I played the "find the cheapest price" game for this trip and found that the prices were all about the same so I just booked. Where I saw the most fluctation was in air fare, so that played a huge role in when we booked and where we went. It doesn't do you much good if you get a great cruise rate but end up paying a whole lot more for your transport to and from.

we are on the same cruise and booked a cc room for something like $600 a person in early January. Now I think it's close to $900. I booked directly through Celebrity and was told that they would "reimburse" (probably through on board credit) the difference if the price went down.

I keep checking the prices and watching them go up, so I'm glad we booked when we did.

As for "deals" I always just pick the trip that appeals to us and seems to be a good price. I played the "find the cheapest price" game for this trip and found that the prices were all about the same so I just booked. Where I saw the most fluctation was in air fare, so that played a huge role in when we booked and where we went. It doesn't do you much good if you get a great cruise rate but end up paying a whole lot more for your transport to and from.

We book a planned cruise as soon as the cruise itineraries are out for a new cruise year - we get our desired cabin, can take advantage of price drops (except for new booking specials), and also usually watch the price go up and are glad that we booked at the lowest rate.

But we also look at Celebrity's Tuesday new booking only Xceptional deals (only available for a certain time period -usually 18 hours) and check to see if there is something that is good and check to see if our transportation costs won't be too bad. A listing of the Xceptional deals are usually given to travel agents by the Friday before, so it gives me time to check on transportation costs. If we find a good deal, we book it for an extra cruise for us. For example, our Jan. five night Century cruise this year was an Xceptional Deal with the cost being only $349 per person for a concierge class cabin. Since we were going to be in Florida for Christmas anyway, we just extended our stay and booked the cruise.

Another example, today, Fri, there is a Century transatlantic for 4/25. Current prices on Celebrity's website are for a Century suite category NS is $1999 regular price or $1699 for a resident rate(depending on where you live). On Tuesday March 3 between 9am and 11:59pm EST, that same category will be $1299 for a new booking made only during that time period.

Also, with some of these new booking only specials the single rate is lower. For the century transatlantic special it is only 150% instead of the usual 200%.

Archived