Rome-Electric Bus lines # 116 and #117 or HOHo?

We will be staying in the area of Via Veneto/Villa Borghese pre-cruise and are debating transportation options to sights. Since we are not fond of Metros we would prefer bus or trams. We had been considering the Trambus Open 110 HOHO but then read a few positive comments regarding use of the elecric bus lines #116 and #117. If anyone has used these for sightseeing, I would welcome your comments. Questions that are coming to mind are: Which is preferable or is there a better alternative? Do lines #116 and #117 run frequently? Can a Roma Pass be used? Where would you transfer to #117 from #116. I've looked on the ATAC internet map but it isn't very clear to me. Thanks so much for any input.

In my only experience the electro bus was very useful for getting us from Villa Borghese to Campo di Fiori but got crowded very quickly. There is little seating so many people are left standing effectively blocking the view of what you're passing.

Still, they are pretty neat!

We will be staying in the area of Via Veneto/Villa Borghese pre-cruise and are debating transportation options to sights. Since we are not fond of Metros we would prefer bus or trams. We had been considering the Trambus Open 110 HOHO but then read a few positive comments regarding use of the elecric bus lines #116 and #117. If anyone has used these for sightseeing, I would welcome your comments. Questions that are coming to mind are: Which is preferable or is there a better alternative? Do lines #116 and #117 run frequently? Can a Roma Pass be used? Where would you transfer to #117 from #116. I've looked on the ATAC internet map but it isn't very clear to me. Thanks so much for any input.

You are correct that the ATAC maps can be confusing. First you must look at the Rome city map and zoom it to 400% so you can read it. I good knowledge of the major areas of Rome is almost a must. Locate where you are staying and find the nearest bus stop with the bus number. Then you must follow the little arrows (by the bus number and on the streets.) The fun begins when you hit a major cross street (the only ones that are shown) and you have to figure out is the bus goes straight, left or right.

I think, as a rule of thumb, that you can figure every 15-20 minutes for a bus on a given route. At least that is what we have encountered. We have always followed the major routes that hub and spoke out of Termini. Get way out of the way someplace, just look for a bus stop and find a sign that says Termini. The bus number on that sign is the one you want. It has worked for us everytime. Keep in mind that bus stops may be several blocks apart.

All in all, we prefer the buses to the Metro.

We were in Rome this past November. We used the #116 to get from the Albergo del Senato by the Pantheon where we were staying to the Villa Borghese and the Gallery. It is a very useful means of transportation but not a sightseeing bus. It is often crowded with people standing. Rome is very walkable. We had no problem walking from the Pantheon to Trastevere, Spagna, Spanish Steps, etc. If you physically are able you will really see a great deal with various walking tours.

We had a Roma pass and we used these busses all the time. They run fairly often, and yes they can get quite full. More than once, when we were tired, we would see one coming along and just jump on it. You really do get to see quite a bit. Have not been on the HOHO bus. We have been to Rome a number of times and we felt we could get around on our own (which we did). More than once we took the Electrico to the Borghese, then stayed on or got on another one for a return journey.

Archived