Saint John, NB *First Timers* What is a MUST?

We are first timers to Saint John we want to know what is a MUST SEE / MUST DO! What are the major highlights everyone flocks there for? What is walkable? Can anything really important be done on a budget?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

If you scroll down the page you will find Acey's 2009 FAQ's for Saint John. Every year Acey compiles an updated fact list for cruise ship passengers. It is painstakingly detailed and he puts a lot of time and effort into it. If you still have any questions after you have read through his post there are a number of local posters, myself included, who are more than willing to offer assistance.

If you scroll down the page you will find Acey's 2009 FAQ's for Saint John. Every year Acey compiles an updated fact list for cruise ship passengers. It is painstakingly detailed and he puts a lot of time and effort into it. If you still have any questions after you have read through his post there are a number of local posters, myself included, who are more than willing to offer assistance.

I took a look two days ago and posted some responses but never got anything back, I just figured i'd ask if anyone knew more just so I can get all the information possible before figuring out what to do.

I took a look two days ago and posted some responses but never got anything back, I just figured i'd ask if anyone knew more just so I can get all the information possible before figuring out what to do.

I just saw your post and in answer to your question re a shuttle bus from Pugsley to the uptown area-----the uptown is only a five minute walk from Pugsley so a shuttle isn't necessary.

You can easily do a walking tour on your own around the area surrounding the uptown. Just go to the information booth in the City Hall. It is located in the indoor pedway between Market Square and Brunswick Square. They will give you a map of the area.

You can easily walk to the Reversing Falls if it is a nice day. The volunteers who meet each ship will point you in the right direction. You can also take a water taxi from beside the Hilton Hotel to the Reversing Falls area. Last year there was a company outside the Hilton that was renting bikes that you could take along the Harbour Passage over to the Reversing Falls.

Last year City Transit had bus tours leaving from the Market Square area which is just up from the cruise dock. To get uptown just turn left when you leave the dock.

I second Acey's outlook on renting a car if you have never driven in Saint John before. It just isn't for the uninitiated. The streets run every which way up and down hill and signage is poor. Most of the street name signs are tiny little things in the corner of the intersection and you can't read them until you are right next to them----if they are there at all. Many of the major intersections are "interesting" ----OK if you know how they work, but quite off putting to a newcomer. Simm's Corner for example has five streams of traffic coming into it but has no traffic light. It works on a combination of rules that are just understood by locals, a lot of courtesy and sometimes just closing your eyes and going for it. The lane markings on the streets get worn off in the winter and it is into July before they are all painted back on, so if you don't just "know" where you should be you will have problems. None of this is a good thing if you are pressed for time in getting back to the ship. It is hard to explain but because of one way streets you can't just always return the way you went.

A lot of people enjoy St. Martins----it is one of my favourite "Sunday drive" places. You can walk out the beach at low tide to the sea caves and you can walk up the road a bit and go through the two covered bridges beside the harbour. At low tide the fishing boats in the harbour will bottom out and that makes for some lovely pictures. It is also possible to capture both bridges in the same picture. The ships offer tours out to St. Martins. It is about 45 minutes away.

They also offer tours to St. Andrews which is also a gorgeous place. It is about and hour and a half away from here and is much like Bar Harbor only much smaller. Lots of lovely gift stores run by local craftpeople and amazing views of Passamaquoddy Bay. You can stand on the wharf and look across the St. Croix River to the state of Maine as it is right on the border.

I just saw your post and in answer to your question re a shuttle bus from Pugsley to the uptown area-----the uptown is only a five minute walk from Pugsley so a shuttle isn't necessary.

You can easily do a walking tour on your own around the area surrounding the uptown. Just go to the information booth in the City Hall. It is located in the indoor pedway between Market Square and Brunswick Square. They will give you a map of the area.

You can easily walk to the Reversing Falls if it is a nice day. The volunteers who meet each ship will point you in the right direction. You can also take a water taxi from beside the Hilton Hotel to the Reversing Falls area. Last year there was a company outside the Hilton that was renting bikes that you could take along the Harbour Passage over to the Reversing Falls.

Last year City Transit had bus tours leaving from the Market Square area which is just up from the cruise dock. To get uptown just turn left when you leave the dock.

I second Acey's outlook on renting a car if you have never driven in Saint John before. It just isn't for the uninitiated. The streets run every which way up and down hill and signage is poor. Most of the street name signs are tiny little things in the corner of the intersection and you can't read them until you are right next to them----if they are there at all. Many of the major intersections are "interesting" ----OK if you know how they work, but quite off putting to a newcomer. Simm's Corner for example has five streams of traffic coming into it but has no traffic light. It works on a combination of rules that are just understood by locals, a lot of courtesy and sometimes just closing your eyes and going for it. The lane markings on the streets get worn off in the winter and it is into July before they are all painted back on, so if you don't just "know" where you should be you will have problems. None of this is a good thing if you are pressed for time in getting back to the ship. It is hard to explain but because of one way streets you can't just always return the way you went.

A lot of people enjoy St. Martins----it is one of my favourite "Sunday drive" places. You can walk out the beach at low tide to the sea caves and you can walk up the road a bit and go through the two covered bridges beside the harbour. At low tide the fishing boats in the harbour will bottom out and that makes for some lovely pictures. It is also possible to capture both bridges in the same picture. The ships offer tours out to St. Martins. It is about 45 minutes away.

They also offer tours to St. Andrews which is also a gorgeous place. It is about and hour and a half away from here and is much like Bar Harbor only much smaller. Lots of lovely gift stores run by local craftpeople and amazing views of Passamaquoddy Bay. You can stand on the wharf and look across the St. Croix River to the state of Maine as it is right on the border.

Thank you so much for all your information we are going to print all the things we found and were told...I do think we are just going to walk around the area and walk to the falls or maybe take a taxi to the falls and walk back.

Thank you so much for all your information we are going to print all the things we found and were told...I do think we are just going to walk around the area and walk to the falls or maybe take a taxi to the falls and walk back.

I hope you have a good visit and that the weather cooperates.

Archived