Back from Puerto Madryn and Puerto Montt recently?

rottyg

Hi-

just back on 2/1.

In Puerto Madryn- we went to penninsula Valdez- so I can't comments on the penguins at Tombo- BUT there were masses of penguins where we were- the beach almost black with them. We also saw the sea lions there with thier babies- but the sea elephants had already left.

In Puerto Montt- had a great day with GV tours (would highly recommend them)

Had wonderful sunny (and hot!) weather in both ports - but I think we were really lucky

We were there at the beginning of January. Our guide Monica never did give us a number for the penguin population at Punta Tombo. But there were thousands of them--on the beach, in the burrows and waddling back and forth between the two. This did not include the penguins that were out at sea fishing for food for their chicks. You are welcome to check out my photos using the link in signature.

As for Puerto Montt, we toured with GV Tours and had a great day considering that it rained off and on all day and that the cloud ceiling was so low that we were not able to see Mt. Osorno. Well, you can't help that and you just have see what you see. Taking a tour and hoping for the best on a rainy day sure beat wandering around town all day.

Archived