Just Back from St.Croix on Magic

swifs

Just thought I would share some impressions from our recent Magic cruise- first time for us in St. Croix, fourth on Magic. I will just mention the few things that were new for us where I learned some new things.

We arrived by rental car for the first time. It was very smooth-DH dropped me off with the luggage at the terminal around 11 and returned the car to Thrifty (he returned by shuttle-it was about 15 mins away). Check-in was incredibly quick and boarding was around noon and lunch was ready in Parrot Key. Cabin ready at 130.

Superbowl was in fact shown on the main deck large screen (we were given blankets because it was cold) and also in several other lounges.

St. Croix was much nicer than I anticipated. We cancelled the snorkeling we prebooked for medical reasons and just took a taxi over to Christansted on the other side of the island and then back to Frederickstad. It is a pretty island and Christiansted was very scenic (including the photgenic yellow fort and outbuildings). The people were all very friendly and nice- it was almost like everyone was making a special effort to be welcoming. There is in fact a beach that is walking distance to the ship in Frederickstad but we didn't use it.

On St Thomas we tried something new by taking a taxi to Magen's Bay, which I had never seen. The round trip taxi fare is inexpensive and there is a dispatcher on the other end to send you back. The beach was large, had plenty of trees to park under (we are not sunbathers). There are even plentiful picnic benches if you want to sit up under a tree (I think you can rent chairs but we just found a bench at a beautiful spot). There was large concession stand; there were lockers; there were restrooms. So we spent a very pleasant morning, returned to the ship for lunch and then walked around the Havensight Mall and tried to avoid spending any money.:o

We used the luggage check-in for the return trip. It is available if you book the Disney bus back to the airport and are flying on certain airlines (it seems to cover most of them). This is a great new feature- you put the luggage you want checked outside your room like always but this time the next time you see them is when you walk off the plane! You don't need to retrieve them downstairs in the terminal or anything- just walk off the ship with your carryons- they give you boarding passes too- and go straight to the gate. Very happy with this.

There were a couple of new daily entertainment items that we liked- Innovations that described some Disney innovations and another that involved a tour of the Magic that was not only interesting but showed us some things on the ship we didn't notice before.

Hope this is helpful if anyone was puzzling over these questions.

No. The luggage does not fit under the bed. There is some room in the closet and there is some space along the wall between two dressers. We have used an inexpensive luggage set that we purchased in Target in which the four pieces nest inside each other. That fit easily in the closet under the hanging clothes.

Archived