What not to miss in the caribbean

Hi I was wondering if anyone who has been on the Destiny, b2b in the Caribbean, can list things not to miss. I have read some reviews on this site, which I must say were very detailed and most interesting. However if someone can write a list say, from 1 to 10 of their most favourite things on this itinerary, it would help me greatly on what not to miss.:rolleyes: PS Happy Valentine's Day.

We were on Ventura in November and had a great time. Some of the places we visited were :

St vincent - nothing to do there!

Tortola - absolutely stunning. We hired a taxi outside the dock and we just asked him to show us "his" island!! Ended up at Cane Garden beach in a bar!!!

St Maarten - fantastic shopping and a great beach. Got 2 sunbeds, parasol and 2 red strips for $10.

Aruba - another great place for shopping.

Martinique - didn't like it - but then it was raining

Grenada - just had a wander round.

St Lucia - beautiful!!

If I remember anything else I'll let you know

Ann

Hi there - just got back (9am this morning) and PROMISE to do a report on all the destinations and trips we took - plus some comments from fellow travellers to help you - just as soon as I've caught my breath! I realise the ports of call are a priority for those of you travelling very soon so I'll do that first, hopefully tomorrow.

But in the meantime - it was great and we thoroughly enjoyed our trip so rest assured that you will have a wonderful time!

We have done the following on these islands:

St. Lucia: zip-lining through the rain forest www.adventuretoursstlucia.com/treetop_canopy_adventure.html

taxi to Rodney Bay (beach)

Tortola: swimming with dolphins

http://www.dolphindiscovery.com

Grenada: rain forest walk (P&O tour)

Dominica: Indian River Rowboat (Thomson tour)

river tubing (Thomson tour)

Antigua: round the island catamaran (Thomson tour)

round the island minibus (P&O tour)

golf www.cedarvalleygolfag.com/

St. Maarten: shopping/beach/bar/lunch in Philipsburg

Barbados: snorkelling with turtles (Thomson tour)

Mount Gay Rum Distillery tour (planned for next visit)

round the island taxi (ask at information desk in cruise

terminal)

If you go back to the posts in December of the "Tropical Transatlantic" cruise you will find more details about several of these excursions.

We enjoyed all of these, it just depends what you like doing. You can always just get a taxi to take you on an island tour, the drivers are very keen to tell you about their lovely islands and will take you wherever you want to go. If you want to go to a beach, they will drop you off and pick you up later and you only pay on the return trip, just make sure they know when your ship sails and they will have you back in time.

Carol x

OK you wanted a top 10. That's difficult because it depends on your personal preferences for beach/sight-seeing/history/activity type days. But for what it's worth, I think these are my thoughts;

1. Cane Garden Beach

2. Cane Garden Beach

3. Cane Garden Beach.................

No, seriously,

1. Cane Garden Beach (for fab typical Caribbean beach)

2. English Harbour, Nelson's Dockyard, Shirley Heights for views and history in Antigua but make sure you find time for a beach here too

3. St Kitts Railway

4. Holetown beach (via interesting public transport) in Barbados

5. And although we didn't do it - Virgin Gorda in Tortola (so highly recommended by fellow travellers we'll definitely try this if we're lucky enough to find ourselves there again)

6. The beach and shops in Philipsburg

7. Pigeon Island and adjacent Rodney Beach on St Lucia

8. And perhaps if you like something different and a little more adventurous the aerial tram ride or submarine trip - both recommended by others - but untried by us.

Other than that, all the islands are worth taking a trip around. Enjoy! :)

This is really good fun and well organised and not as commercalised as a lot of excursions.

When you reach the top of the river you are kitted out with a helmet and life jacket and sit in a large tube with a thick plastic base to save taking the backside out of your trunks. The top man gives you the safety talk and instructions, while 6 or 7 guys head off down stream and take position by any large rocks to keep you off. After the first stretch of rapids and bit of white water, you gather in a pool and the top man catches up to tell you more about the flora and fauna. Meanwhile the safety guys are going off to cover the next section. I think there were 3 sections of river. There were men and women aged from early 20's to early 60's and all seemed to enjoy it.

After the trip down river you are taken up to a bar for your complimentary rum punch and while there are a couple of small stalls there is no heavy sale or pestering, just a genuine welcome.

When you get back to the ship, there is a great little restaurant on the corner opposite the pier, down by the market stalls, that serves jerk chicken to die for.

Enjoy.

Archived