Guatemala...Help!!!

lissa6626

I will in Santo de Tomas in Dec. I cannot find much information on what to do there. The ship excursions are limited except for $500 excursions that I am not interested in. Does anyone have any recommendations for Guatemala???

There have also been recent safety and security concerns. The Guatemalan government has issued a warning for travelers regarding kidnappings and rapes. I do not like to take ship excursions and would rather do something on our own, but am worried about safety.

Please Help!!!

• 1 month later...
I will in Santo de Tomas in Dec. I cannot find much information on what to do there. The ship excursions are limited except for $500 excursions that I am not interested in. Does anyone have any recommendations for Guatemala???

There have also been recent safety and security concerns. The Guatemalan government has issued a warning for travelers regarding kidnappings and rapes. I do not like to take ship excursions and would rather do something on our own, but am worried about safety.

Please Help!!!

You need to take the security warnings very seriously. Last year a tour bus was highjacked on the highway. The passengers were all robbed and the driver was killed. My mom was born in Guatemala and lived there until she was 21. My grandmother lived there until she passed away a few years ago. When my mom would fly to Guatemala City to visit my grandmother, she would arrange for a family friend to pick her up at the airport, because she did not feel safe taking a taxi. My landscaper is also from Guatemala, and he told me that it has become too unsafe to visit and if I were to visit (I look very anglo), there would be a huge risk of being robbed or killed. He said "killed" and that may be an exaggeration, but I'm just sharing what he said. Knowing what I know, I would not recommend doing something on your own. My parents visited Guatemala last year on a cruise and took a tour to Antigua and Lake Atitlan. I guess they were comfortable enough to do that (knowing what my mom knows). If you have any more questions about Guatemala, I may be able to help you.

Nessi

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I would not venture out on my own in Guatemala. I am not even sure I would do a ship sponsored tour. (I have always done my "own thing" on cruises at each island but would NEVER do this in Guatemala-I am suprised the ship is still stopping there since the travel advisory posted in Oct. or Nov. 2004)

Just read the US Embassy travel warnings on their websight-- the crime against foreigners is awful and it is not letting up!!

I urge you to take this travel advisory serious!!!

Archived