Cruising Disney with a 2 1/2 year old

Buffy2323

Okay, I have never been on a Disney Cruise though I someday would LOVE to do so........this question is not for me but for my next door neighbor. They are booked on a cruise in April (sorry, I didn't get exact details of which ship but I belidve it's a 4 day cruise, anything else I have no idea). The question that was asked of me is about the Kids program and cruising with a 2 1/2 year old. I am used to cruising on Carnival so I know what the policies and age restrictions are there but I couldn't give any advice on Disney. What is available for a 2 1/2 year old on a Disney Cruise? Is there a program for that young of an age or do they have to pay for sitter services. They are debating whether or not to take him or leave him behind with family. Thanks for any help anyone can give!! BTW< I tried to do a search but I couldn't seem to find what I was looking for.....sorry if this was asked a million times before!!

They would likely use "Flounders Reef" a nursery if he's not potty trained. Its for up to 36 months old. We used the Kids Club and our 5 yr old DD Loved it! I believe the nursery is $11/hr and you have to book your time in asap. There is also limits on how long you can leave babies in the nursery.

We are taking a 2 1/2 year old next month. The website says Flounder's Reef is $6. an hour for one child. You have to reserve a time a/s/a/p.

I understand that you can take the child in the other playroom for 3 yrs plus but you have to stay with them, you can't leave him there.

I just got this information from a Mousesavers e-mail. Unfortunately, it doesn't start until March 15th, the day we debark.

Cruising with Little Ones is Child’s Play Onboard Disney Cruise Line

Traveling with infants and toddlers on Disney Cruise Line will soon be easier than ever thanks to a cruise industry-first service that delivers baby supplies directly to guest staterooms and a host of child-friendly offerings onboard the Disney Magic and the Disney Wonder.

Beginning March 15, families preparing to sail on Disney Cruise Line with little ones will have access to an online service that allows them to order baby supplies in advance of their cruise and have them delivered to their stateroom. The new service is exclusive for Disney Cruise Line guests and provided by Babies Travel Lite, an online retailer offering more than 1,000 brand-name baby products including diapers, baby food, infant formula and specialty travel items.

By visiting http://www.disneycruise.com, guests will be able to access a special section of the Babies Travel Lite Web site where they can create orders for familiar brands in quantities customized to the duration of their cruise.

The new delivery service is just one of the many products and services available to families traveling with children under 3. Guests also have access to a host of onboard services to facilitate traveling with toddlers in tow:

Diaper Genie units, cribs and playpens are available complimentary upon request from the stateroom host/hostess for use during the cruise.

Bottle warmers, bottle sterilizers and strollers are available complimentary at Guest Services for use during the cruise.

At Castaway Cay, Disney’s private island in the Bahamas, wagons are available to facilitate navigating the island’s sandy beaches.

Baby supplies are available for purchase on the ships.

These amenities are the perfect complement to Disney’s infant-care center at sea, Flounder’s Reef Nursery. The nursery features an “under the sea” soft play area themed to Disney’s “The Little Mermaid” where children 12 weeks to 36 months can enjoy themselves under the watchful eyes of trained Disney caregivers. Even Mickey Mouse or another Disney pal might swing by for a surprise visit involving fun and games.

Also for infants and toddlers is Mickey’s Splash Zone, a water playground inspired by The Sorcerer’s Apprentice from Disney’s “Fantasia.” This extension to the Mickey Pool features star- and moon-shaped interactive fountains, a soft play surface and whimsical splash zones, creating an inviting environment for children not yet toilet trained and in swim diapers.

Guests sailing on seven-night cruises can enjoy some ‘together’ time with their little ones during Family Time Sessions at Flounder’s Reef Nursery. Families have the opportunity to explore the nursery and meet the team of counselors who supervise the children.

Also on seven-night cruises, guests can enjoy Toddler Time at the Oceaneer Club and at Mickey’s Splash Zone. Families can join their little ones and explore the world together as they participate in musical games and fine motor skills exercises led by Disney’s youth activities counselors.

They would likely use "Flounders Reef" a nursery if he's not potty trained. Its for up to 36 months old. We used the Kids Club and our 5 yr old DD Loved it! I believe the nursery is $11/hr and you have to book your time in asap. There is also limits on how long you can leave babies in the nursery.

Thanks!! What if he is potty trained? Can he attend the older program or still have to do the daycare. Do you know how many hours they are limited to for a 4 day cruise?

Thanks to everyone for all the other information. I'll be sure to pass all of this on to them. :)

Just sailed the Magic this December with my 3 year old. Flounders is $6.00 per hour. You can prereserve 10 hour online. After that, you make reservations for additional hours on the boat. We had no problem getting as many hours as we wanted. If your friend's son is totally potty trained and mature enough to participate in the activities, they do make exceptions to the age rule in the Oceaneers Club, but it is on a case by case basis. The counselors at Flounders will also take him over to the Club to play if he wishes. It's really a wonderful experience for the children. Your friend will be sorry if she leaves him behind. My son still talks about it every day and can't wait to go back.

Thanks Tink, this was very good info. to have. I believe they were under the impression that they could only book 10 hours total and not that it was 10 hours you could pre-reserve and then reserve more onboard. Thanks to ALL who responded. :)

I think the other Tink answered for me as well...;) Yes, by the rules he has to go to Flounders where it is $6 an hour. The infants & toddlers loooove it there. The computer only allows 10 hours booking prior to the cruise (so that all parents can get out or to Palo if needed) but out of all of our multiple cruises, we have never heard of any complaints of not being able to get the additional needed hours once on the ship. Now if he is TOTALLY potty traained AND toliet INDEPENDENT (meaning dressing/undressing including zipping, snapping & WIPPING), able to participate in GROUP play and follow directions; then MANY times they will let the child particiapte in the club. This is dependent on if the sailing has not reached it's limit with 3/4 yo's. It is done on a trial at first and then if it goes well, then they are able to continue. Now parents are free to read the navigator and bring the toddler with adult supervision to the club. The Splash Zone was added by the pools because non-potty trained kids are NOT allowed in the pools. They have the Mickey Ears and the splash zone for our Swim diaper kids.... I do agree though to bring him.... We started traveling when my DD was 2 on DCL and we would have not traded it for the world... We have been back every year since and think the early years it was soooo Magical with the little ones... Back then it was our Vacation. Now at 11 & 7 they get the navigators and plan their vacation once we are on the ship...:o

Archived