Getting from Copenhagen to Berlin

luv2travel3

We will be a family of four (Kids are almosts adults). We will take the Princess cruise on June 15th return on the 25th. After the cruise we would like to go to Berlin. What is the best and inexpensive way to get to berlin from Copenhagen. We will have large luggage too. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

We will be a family of four (Kids are almosts adults). We will take the Princess cruise on June 15th return on the 25th. After the cruise we would like to go to Berlin. What is the best and inexpensive way to get to berlin from Copenhagen. We will have large luggage too. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

1. option: ask any car rental at Copenhagen airport if they have a car with German license plate which need to be returned to Germany. Mostly you can get a high discount as they do not need an extra driver to reposition. You can check this only on the same day of travel.

2. option: The only direct ICE High Speed Train is leaving 7.26 hrs from Köbenhavn Hovedbanegaard (Copenhagen Central Station). The next options: every two hours but with change in Hamburg.

3. option: Night train via Malmö

4. option: to fly from Copenhagen: it's cheap with SAS as they offer great one-way bargains: http://www.flysas.com

5. option: by coach - but June schedule has not been released so far: http://www.eurolines.com/

Regards,

HeinBloed

HeinBloed is so nice to lay out all the options for you, but I really think the no brainer is to fly.

SAS will have a few flights a day into Tegel, and fares will be under $100 pp.

EasyJet also offers a flight to Schönefeld, which you should be able to get some cheap fares on, but you will have baggage fees, so make sure you understand the total price before you buy.

The direct ICE trains from Copenhagen is at 07:26

With one stop in Hamburg you can go 09:26, 11:26, 13:26, 15:26 (also ICE) and 17:26.

There are also several other options over Jutland but then you will miss the ferry trip.

The cost is for tuesday, wednesday and thursday 349 dkk oneway with seat reservation.

friday, Saturday, sunday and monday is 399 dkk oneway with seat reservations.

Childrens under 16 years travels for free if they are with adults but i think that they need the seat reservation so remember to tell that if you book this wunderful trip.

But you have to book early because of limited tickets and they are not refundable.

http://netrejsebureau.dsbservice.dk/

The cost is for tuesday, wednesday and thursday 349 dkk oneway with seat reservation.

friday, Saturday, sunday and monday is 399 dkk oneway with seat reservations.

It's better to book with German Railways:

The minimum is 39 EUR (= 291 DKK) and is valid on every day subject to availability.

http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml

Regards,

HeinBloed

HeinBloed is so nice to lay out all the options for you, but I really think the no brainer is to fly.

SAS will have a few flights a day into Tegel, and fares will be under $100 pp.

EasyJet also offers a flight to Schönefeld, which you should be able to get some cheap fares on, but you will have baggage fees, so make sure you understand the total price before you buy.

You may also have excess baggage fees for SAS. Allowance for coach passengers in your situation would be 1 checked bag of 22kg with a massive €12 per kg for overages. :eek:

You may also have excess baggage fees for SAS. Allowance for coach passengers in your situation would be 1 checked bag of 22kg with a massive €12 per kg for overages. :eek:

The rule and excess baggage fee apply to both airlines!!!

The only reason why I erased easyjet in my mind: Since I nearly missed a cruise as easyjet cancelled the flight and only wanted to refund the airfare. We could have booked for two days later but at the much higher price. Never again.

Since then: no more no-thrill-airlines. SAS can put you also on Lufthansa-flights if they need to cancel.

Tegel is located centrally in Berlin.

Schönefeld is out of the city of Berlin and more expensive to get to the City.

Regards,

HeinBloed

The rule and excess baggage fee apply to both airlines!!!

The only reason why I erased easyjet in my mind: Since I nearly missed a cruise as easyjet cancelled the flight and only wanted to refund the airfare. We could have booked for two days later but at the much higher price. Never again.

I only mentioned SAS because I have experience with trying to book them (from Copenhagen to Amsterdam). EasyJet I wouldn't book because, well, they're EasyJet. LOL. ;)

But, truly, the only way these carriers make any sense is if you can play the single bag game.

I know it takes the OP out of the way to come back, but you could book British Airways via London. BA has a flat fee of £25 ($40) per 23kg bag for excess baggage beyond your allowed first checked bag.

But, truly, the only way these carriers make any sense is if you can play the single bag game.

But you can accumulate the allowance for the whole group.

Like 4 x 20 kgs = 80 kgs and it could be 10 bags as long as it is less than 80 kgs. And mostly there is a small tolerance larger than EasyJet or Ryanair...

I know it takes the OP out of the way to come back, but you could book British Airways via London. BA has a flat fee of £25 ($40) per 23kg bag for excess baggage beyond your allowed first checked bag.

That's great that's changed again. I remember when I was travelling from my last cruise there was a difference between domestic, European and Extra-European and prepaid via Internet or not...

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived