Zaandam - Hawaii

R&Ronashipagain

We are looking at a trip to Hawaii in spring of 2010. Our other trips we had a verandah room (which we enjoyed very much) but this time for a longer trip are thinking ocean view. Are there any things we need to know before picking a room. We have never had trouble with sea sickness. Are there any rooms that are better than others? Want to get as much knowledge of this ship as possible. Thanks for your help.

We did this cruise in 2006. Our cabin was an E outside, midships lowest deck. It was very quiet and minimal motion, but we also had very calm seas the entire time. Well, except for the earthquake while anchored in Kona, but that was an unique experience.

Hi!

We did this ship/itinerary before.

We were outside, on the Lower Promenade. At that time we were smokers and really enjoyed being able to zip out to the walk-around deck to have a smoke. (Not in-room smokers.)

The first sea day is generally kind of rough water out of San Diego, but after that things normally smooth out.

You'll love the Zaandam!

The Zaandam Circle Hawaii was my first HAL cruise in 2007. I booked it late, and at that time my TA talked me into booking a guarantee oceanview, which I did. My mother, who travelled with me, said all she cared about is that we did NOT get a cabin on the Lower Promenade Deck since she didn't want people looking in the windows. By now, you have likely guessed that we ended up in a C category cabin on the Lower Promenade :eek:

We both loved it! My mother was assured (by pressing her nose to the window from the outside) that nobody walking by during the day would see into the room, and the room steward always closed the drapes at night before dark.

It was the best thing next to a balcony cabin in my opinion. We were just two cabins from an outside door to the deck, and it was wonderful to poke my head out in the morning to check on the weather, or take a quick stroll around the deck just before bed.

I would highly recommend the Lower Promenade location.

We are looking at a trip to Hawaii in spring of 2010. Our other trips we had a verandah room (which we enjoyed very much) but this time for a longer trip are thinking ocean view. Are there any things we need to know before picking a room. We have never had trouble with sea sickness. Are there any rooms that are better than others? Want to get as much knowledge of this ship as possible. Thanks for your help.
Because there are many fewer verandah cabins on the Zaandam than on Vista ships, the verandah are a bit pricey for us. Like waiting2retire, we think the Lower Promenade cabins are an excellent compromise of OV price and convenient outside access. We've had DDs (partially obstructed) on the Statendam and Amsterdam, and would choose one again on any R- or S-class ship. However, we would be careful NOT to get one under the galley again. On the Amsterdam we heard carts rolling around and thumping noises all night.

Don't worry about the privacy issue that some people bring up. You can NOT see in the rooms during the day because of the silvered glass, and the steward always closes the curtains when he services the cabin while you are at dinner. (Besides, with the brightness of the deck lights I even found it hard to see into our DD cabins at night when the drapes were open. Bring clothespins or chip-bag clips to keep the drapes tightly closed if you don't want a bright sliver of light in the room at night.)

If I haven't convinced you yet to consider an LP cabin, I would suggest that you look at OVs no lower than F on the Main or Dolphin deck. The FF, G, and H tend to get a noisier and bumpier ride because of their locations, anf the G & H only have portholes.

Me and a friend are taking our first Holland America cruise to Hawaii. We are in an Oceanview room category EE. Someone said you could check to upgrade when the ship leaves port. Does anyone know about this and also when do we make our excursion reservations??

Me and a friend are taking our first Holland America cruise to Hawaii. We are in an Oceanview room category EE. Someone said you could check to upgrade when the ship leaves port. Does anyone know about this and also when do we make our excursion reservations??
You can ask about moving up to something higher when checking in at the pier, but generally if anything is available it will be an upsell rather than a free upgrade. The price for the upsell won't be any bargain - just the normal cost difference between the old and new - and if you're willing to pay such a differential, you might as well go ahead and change your reservations right now.

If you indicated that you would "accept an upgrade" when you booked, you may get a free upgrade at any time, including at the pier, but this is not something that you can not initiate.

Many (but not always all) excursions can be booked on line as soon as you know your HAL booking number. Your credit card will be charged immediately for any reservations you make. If you wait until you're on the ship some of the excursions may already be filled. If there's any that are marked "limited capacity" that really interest you, it is best to book them in advance.

P.S. - Welcome to Cruise Critic :)

Archived