Safaga - Private Excursion Suggestions

sunnies

We are on the Nautica cruise from Hong Kong to Athens leaving April 2009. We have two days at the port of Safaga, Egypt with one day being a full day excursion to Luxor. The other day is free and I am hoping for any suggestions as to what we could do on that day.

Meg

We cruised on the Nautica from Istanbul to Singapore - the reverse of your cruise...

When we were there, they offered an overnight to Luxor, which I see is no longer available. If you wish, you could arrange a private tour which would give you an overnight hotel stay - there is much to see here, and one day does not do much justice.

However, if you opt for the one day (13 hour) tour, then your next day with a departure at 11 pm is free to do what you wish. Unfortunately, there is precious little that Safaga has to offer. It is basically a port on the Suez and not much else. There is an opportunity to take transportation to the Red Sea if you're interested in swimming. The other tour offered was not available when we were there, so I can't comment.

We recently returned from a land trip to Egypt & Jordan, including a Nile cruise. I read the description of the one-day excursion to Luxor on your upcoming Oceania cruise and there is a lot more to see than is included. They don't mention the temple at Karnak at all and it seems like you'll have very little time in the Valley of the Kings. Plus you're spending a lot of time traveling. If you don't want to arrange your own overnight in Luxor, then I'd see if you can find a private guide/tour company to take you back the second day. If this isn't appealing, then I'd probably choose the excursion to the desert for the Bedouin experience.

Thank you Riverroad and Ricky for your comments. When I "googled" top attractions for Safaga, there were none which I think says it all!! I think a day at the beach at a nice resort may be the answer before the full day excursion to Luxor the next day.

Archived