Cruisin' for the first time........suggestions?

MikeNBec

I'm booking a cruise for my wife and I for next June on the Carnival Sensation. We've NEVER been on a cruise (this is going to be her birthday present that I'm giving her next week), so is there any suggestions or hints we need to know? From what I understand dress is pretty much always casual, at most. Is that correct? Its a 5 day cruise, so we'll hopefully have enough time to decide if cruises are something we want to do in the future. We've been to Cancun the past few summers (stayed at the Aventura Palace), and had a blast, but I hope a cruise is something we'll enjoy too. My wife has hinted that she'd like to try it, so why not? It leaves from here in New Orleans, so no airfare will save us megabucks.

A good friend of mine said the only thing that really can cost ya is the drinks, so we'll be careful there. Any other hints?

Thanks for any help ya'll can offer.......I'm sure she'll be surprised! :)

My suggestion if for both of you to do your research here on the Carnival board and to also spend some time on the Ports of Call boards. You'll have a much better time IMO if your doing the really cool things you've always wanted to do, but wouldn't have known about them otherwise. I saved a bunch of money by booking all our excursions independently (learned this on the Ports of Call boards and used recommendations from there, too).

The 5 day cruise should have 1 formal night and the rest will probably be Resort Casual in the evenings and casual during the daytime.

Have a blast!

Now you've gone and done it! This is how it always starts, "we thought we'd like to try it". Now you're going to have a cruise monkey on your back the rest of you lives! We all started with that "lets try a cruise" and now we're addicted, totally depressed unless we have one booked at all times and the rest of the time are hanging on these boards. You guys will LOVE IT!!!!! And one more thing, WELCOME to Cruise Critic boards, this is a very knowledgable and friendly group. You picked the right place. :) Chud

Pholter, I've been crusin' the weboards, including this one, for quite awhile, and I agree, I've learned BUNCHES. I ran a Cancun messageboard for awhile and saved people megabucks with "hints" that no one would know about otherwise, and these boards are no different. I love 'em. Thanks! By the way, whats "formal"? Suit? Tux?

Chud.....LMAO......yep, we did this same "mistake" with Cancun...we went ONCE, and went back four summers in a row!!!!! We also did Vegas last year, and since we aren't gamblers, figured we'd just go once and that would be enough. How wrong we were!!!! BECAUSE we don't gamble, we had MUCHO time to see shows, hit the clubs, ect......and want to go back at least a couple more times! As for Cancun.......my wife in a thong and nothing else......can you BLAME me for wanting to go back so often? LOL....thanks for the welcome.......I can't wait to tell her what her birthday present is!!!!! :)

Pholter, I've been crusin' the weboards, including this one, for quite awhile, and I agree, I've learned BUNCHES. I ran a Cancun messageboard for awhile and saved people megabucks with "hints" that no one would know about otherwise, and these boards are no different. I love 'em. Thanks! By the way, whats "formal"? Suit? Tux? :)

You don't have to wear a tux unless you have one and want some great photos or just want to do the tux and sequin thing. We love that part, so we go all out. A suit and tie are seen more often than a tux though. Welcome aboard :)

Chudley:

You are so right!!

Have to have a cruise booked or depression sets in. Start planing for your next before you take your booked one.

Now my kids have the same symptoms.

Relay -- your wife will love the cruise. Just bring lots of money. It's better to have then wish you had!

Waiting for our Miracle 12/26/04

Enjoy!

Mike, Hmmm, your wife in a thong and nothing else....KEWL! My husband would love me like that but the only time he'll get that one will be in the DARK! LOL You'll apppreciate the fact that the Carnival ships have a topless sundeck, so things should pretty much be the same as Cancun as far as that goes. For some good laughs, do a search on topless and thongs on these boards, there's alot of , shall we say, controversy on those two subjects :D. Also, my husband doesn't wear a tux, but wears a dark suit with a very dressy tie and a white dress shirt....I thought he was the most georgous hunk onboard! Chud

PS If you like margaritas, TGIF Fridays make a great one. They sell it by the bottle (tequila inc). I poured a couple of bottles into a bunch of Mountain Dew bottles, put them in my carry on with some decoys (cokes and bottled water) and walked them right on the ship. The reason for the decoys was I was afraid they'd notice the seals on the Dews were broken. Pack a couple of limes and you're all set!! C

I have to agree with everyone - one time and you'll be hooked! ;-)

As for tips - here are some things I have learned along the way.

1) Agreed about taking drinks. We don't drink alcohol, but I do take my own soda and save big!

2) Silly to some - but I actually pack several of my own plain wire hangers. The room will come with some, but not near enough to hang up everything. They are just hangers, so I leave them behind when I pack for home.

3) I purchased a tri-folding cosmetic bag and carry it on. When I get in the room, I unfold it and hang it on the hook on the inside of the bathroom door. All my vanity items are right behind me and don't have to be unpacked and packed. It also helps the room steward in keeping the bathroom clean and organized.

4) Here are some items that I take that I have forgotten in the past ;-)

SUNTAN LOTION with high spf...you'd think this would be an automatic pack item, but I used to always forget it!

HAIR BANDS - if your wife has long hair. I never wear my hair up at home, so I forget to take them - when your whizzing down the road at 60mph and her hair is whipping all over her face, she'll wished she had one!

5) I never book excursions on the ship. You can search the Internet for great bargains on your own. OR...you can wait until you arrive and go to the pier and plenty of vendors will be there for hire. I've never had a problem with getting back to the ship on time. I always tell the guide, if you don't get us back on time, I hope you have plenty of room at your house for us, until we can figure out a way to get home.

6) Pictures off the ship are expensive! We view our pictures along the way and try to keep them all grouped together at the photo gallery. The last day we go and pick out the ones we really feel are good. I usually only purchase our formal night pics...since it's the only way I can get a family photo!! The ship always sets up several different backgrounds on formal night and sometimes on other nights as well. I like to make the rounds and find the background I especially like for my pictures. Sounds like a small detail, but something I didn't realize until my third cruise!

7) The first several cruises, we both over-packed and had 3 bags between us besides our carry-ons. I finally figured out, I actually can wear that top more than once and no one will notice! LOL No one in our party is allowed more than 1 bag - no exceptions! We do 'self-assist' off the ship and just keep our bags with us and don't have to listen for or play the colored luggage tag game. We fuss in the beginning about 1 bag, but LOVE IT on the way home!

8) Formal - my husband doesn't wear a tux either. In fact, he hates ties. So, I bought 2 long sleeved mini-turtle neck lightweight sweaters - white for 1 night and black for the other (7-day cruise). He wears these under his dark suit jacket with dark slacks. WOW - it really is dressy looking - he's happy and I'm happy.

Hope this helps. I spent hours and hours reading on this board before we took our first cruise. Lots of good info!

PS - as for Cancun, hubby and I honeymooned there 25 years ago. WOW, we went back last year and it is NOT the same place. While it's a great place now, it was really cool back then. When we landed 25 years ago, the airport had dirt floors and there was a donkey that pulled the luggage around in a circle - what a scream - what memories!!!! ;-)

Enjoy your cruise!!!!

You are a good dh. Cruising gives you time together and time apart. Cruising takes you to places you may never visit.

Cruising attire - dining room attire is resort casual except for formal night(s). Your dw will want to dress up for that night.

You both need at least two pairs of shoes; one comfortable one dressy. In retrospect I'm changing that comment - After the rain soaking my tennis shoes at Atlantis, Bahamas I have decided that I need two pairs of comfortable shoes.

I have a list that I use to check off items as I prepare to cruise. You are welcome to a copy. When are you going to tell your dw?

My experience is that you either love cruising or hate it. The most important thing you can take with you is a good attitude. Best wishes to you both.

I've only gone on one cruise so far... but I'm looking forward to my second. Some things to be aware of:

* Be aware that Carnival's tipping policy is $10 per person per day, and is used to tip your waiters, cooks, and room steward. You can adjust your tips, but please don't be a cheapskate with your room steward.

* It's easy to get carried away with the sign & sail card when purchasing drinks. Soda cards are nice.

* Invest in passports. They're good for ten years.

* Keep an open mind, and you'll find that the worst part of the cruise is embarkation and disembarkation. Opportunity is what you make of it.

* Bring film and plenty of batteries.

Beyond cruising around the boards for tips (which gave me some ideas), I have a suggestion. Go to Carnival's website and make a printout of the itenerary. Then, cut and paste it inside the card you give your dear wife. Let us know what her reaction is. :D

The Sensation was our first ship and we loved it!

Research is imperative! Read, read, read and ask specific questions about anything and everything! There is so much to learn about things that you never would have even considered.

My best suggestion, other than research, is don't try to do everything. You'll be worn out and need a vacation after your cruise!

Congratulations on booking your first cruise! I hope you enjoy it as much as everyone here!

Pholter, cool! I'll see if my wife will settle on a suit.......I wear a tie everyday, so break would be nice.......LOL.

Sgriff, pics? NO prob. By the way, how do you pack the beer? A bottle of Crown is easy, but beer? Help me out here, bro! MIkenBec6@aol.com with any hints!

Mama, how much do you recommend we bring for 5 days?

Chud, thanks for the drink hints......and the suit doesn't sound too painful..LOL>

RH, thanks for the list. NO TIE! YAAAAAAAY! And if you go back to Cancun, think seriously about staying at the Aventura Palace......its adults only, all-inclusive, secluded........paradise!

BJ, I'm going to go over to the Riverwalk where the ships leave from...the Sensation will be there Sat, I think. I'll tell her then. And we know what ya mean about the good attitude.......we plan on having fun no matter what....we arrived in Cancun two years ago just in time for 5 days of a hurricane....and we STILL had fun!

Z'loth, I'll let ya'll know what she says.......and the itenerary is a great idea! Thanks!

Hstry, I read everything I can find..........it always helps!! Thanks!

Archived