Best way to get to the Red Hook Port from NJ

Canada1lb

We will be visiting family in NJ the day prior - will have access to a rental car. Just wondering if any experienced cruisers out of this port can suggest the best way for us to get there. Obviously cost is a factor.

We are open to driving into the city, dropping off the rental car at an airport, and taking a cab from there.

Or, would an alternate transport make more sense? We are not familiar with NYC at all. Should we be looking at taking Amtrak, and then a cab from there? Or, another mode I have not mentioned??

Thanks for your help.

I did see a couple of car hire companies listed on a thread, but now I cannot find it!

Although I have never flown into Newark Airport, my wife and I plan on doing so for a crossing on the Queen Mary 2. After an overnight stay, it is our intention to take NJ Transit (much cheaper than Amtrak) from Newark to Manhattan's Pennsylvania Station, then a taxi or car service from there. There have been several recommendations for car services; Arecibo seems to be the most popular from the postings I've read. http://arecibocc.com/ Many posters have said this company doesn't take advance bookings but respond fairly quickly when called.

I hope people who have done this will give us their experiences or alternate recommendations.

If you are renting a car, AVIS has a drop off location near the cruise ship terminal. I am from New Jersey, and usually rent a car here in South Jersey (near Atlantic City) and drop it off in Brooklyn. Here is the rental car information:

AVIS

211 Atlantic Avenue

Brooklyn, NY, 11201 , US

(1) 718-522-7407

The taxis ride would then be only about 3.5 miles to the ship.

Depending on where in NJ you are coming, it is easier to cross onto Staten Island (I use the Outer Bridge Crossing) and cross over the Verrazano Bridge and take the Belt Parkway toward Manhattan. (Better directions using Google.)

It is best, BEST to avoid driving into Manhattan from New Jersey. Trust me.

• 1 month later...

I live in Florida and have done a number of QM2 crossings. Why go through the hassel of taxis, car services etc. I either leave my car at an offsite parking lot at Newark airport with free shuttle drop off and pick up at the airport, or I turn in my car rental at the airport. I then take the Cunard provided airport to Red Hook bus at a cost of $30 each. No tunnel or bridge tolls. It is hassel free. I get off the parking lot shuttle, contact the Cunard rep and we are on our way. The only problem is that Cunard wants to know your arrival airline flight. My TA gives them a flight number arriving from Florida that morning. It works every time. We repeat the process when we return from UK.

Archived