Lahaina, Maui Shore Diving?

teamfour

We will not arrive in Lahaina until about noon. Is this too late to get a shore dive in?

I think that would depend on when you were leaving. If not until late, then I'd try for the shore dive.

Check Shorediving.com for information on shore dive sites.

Near the bottom of the page, there are links to probably all of the dive ops on Maui. Maui Revealed This is probably the best guide book available for the island. It will give reviews of all the dive shops. I haven't been to Maui, just the Big Island, so I can't make any personal recommendations. You might have better luck at Scubaboard.com where they have a Hawaii specific message board. And if you are not Brianr, then check scubadiving.com for some info.

One of our ALL TIME favorites dives: a night dive off Black Rock (Ka'anapali beach) - easy beach entry just prior to sunset. See an amazing array of life after dark when the morays come out to feast, and the turtles, lobsters, and fish are rather docile and quiet. We still describe it as watching Discovery Channel, live :-) Great picture taking; only 30' -- if Princess doesn't offer this option, check with Lahaina Divers - our family has been with them many times ~20 years. Hope your ship doesn't leave until 10 or so!

The Sheraton Black Rock is not far from Lahaina. They have a small kiosk right at the beach that rents gear, however prices are high. I think it's like $80 to rent all gear including 1 tank per person. If you have your own gear, you can take it via a taxi and then just rent tanks/weights. I don't remember the prices as I didn't use it.

However, it's a very nice location, although not very deep. We only snorkeled, but it appeared to be about 35 feet. We saw turtles there in September. Check the shorediving.com web site as indicated above for more details.

My husband & 18 year old son were just certified this year and they went on a boat dive with Mike Severn's dive company. The have been in business for 20+ years and haven't had any accidents. The company is owned by Mike Severns & his wife, Pauline Fiene. They're published marine biologists and they have a huge emphasis on safety. My husband & son had a fantastic experience - even though they'd never been on a boat dive before. If you're interested, their web address is http://www.maui.net/~robinson/index.html

Pauline Fiene recommended Octopu Reef for shore dives:

http://www.octopusreef.com/

The unfortunate thing is that most of the dives are in the morning because the winds pick up in the afternoon.

A fantastic place to dive or snorkel that is not too far north of Lahaina is Honolua Bay. It's a marine reserve and the number and variety of fish are amazing. And this was a nicely protected cove so it stays relatively calm in the afternoon. I don't know if this is true in the winter. You can drive up or take a taxi and there is no entrance fee. Any of the Snorkel Bob shops can point you in the right direction.

Have a great trip!

Archived