Stranded by SAS

JIMDSB2

Based on positive comments made on CruiseCritic, we chose SAS transport for our round trip from our Fort Lauderdale hotel to POM. When I called from my hotel, Steve said that they were almost there. 15 minutes later they arrived for a very nice drive to POM and made friends with a group from New Jersey. So far so good.

The trip back was another 'story'. When we arrived back on the Jewel of the Seas, I called Steve from the terminal area, and he said that the transport was already in the port area and told me he would be there in a few minutes at the designated boarding area. Half an hour later, my wife borrowed a cell phone from another passenger and called a second time. This time she was told that they were dropping off a large group at another ship and then they would be on the way to the designated area. Another half hour passed and with time running out, we were forced to take a taxi to the Fort Lauderdale Airport.

Note to Steve: Please do not tell us stories. The truth would have been much preferred. If you don't want the bother of picking up only a twosome, just say so, but don't just leave us hanging on the sidewalk forever with no SAS van in sight. Over an hour is too long to be kept standing on the sidewalk, don't you think.

This sounds just like another instance written on here, that recently happened with SAS:rolleyes: I sure hope it's an exception vs the rule. We were planning on using them in Sept, but if I read too many more of these postings, I'll definitely look elsewhere. The savings won't be worth the risk.

EANDJ, We did not prepay for a round trip. In fact, they never mentioned it,

AF, I hope we were the exception also, but I doubt it. We put a lot of trust in them, and they acted like we were unimportant. Something I could believe that one of the large companies could do. Maybe they have grown too big.

I am so sorry this happened to you. We just returned from there and Steve picked us up exactly on time, and was waiting for us when we exited the cruise building. I'm sure he would appreciate a call or email to learn of your mistreatment. I hope you made your flight on time.

For anyone considering using SAS from FLL to POM,

We arranged a 13-16 Feb transfer in mid-Jan. Called eve 12 Feb, and Steve was able to read off our flight and cruise with only the mention of my name.

Called from the plane before leaving Atlanta, Steve had someone ready to go. Called from plane on arrival to FLL, given number direct to the driver. Spoke with driver who picked us up at baggage claim after a whopping 3.5 minute wait.

Pick up from ship: Called first thing (?0700ish?), Steve was in the port. Walked off ship, met Steve at curb with one other couple already waiting. Departed direct to FLL. ~30 minutes with light traffic.

Can't judge the whole scenario with the disgruntled first poster, but having reliable commo is essential in any op. Vacations are like invasions... leave nothing to chance.

Where was your cell phone?

:confused:

Based on positive comments made on CruiseCritic, we chose SAS transport for our round trip from our Fort Lauderdale hotel to POM. When I called from my hotel, Steve said that they were almost there. 15 minutes later they arrived for a very nice drive to POM and made friends with a group from New Jersey. So far so good.

The trip back was another 'story'. When we arrived back on the Jewel of the Seas, I called Steve from the terminal area, and he said that the transport was already in the port area and told me he would be there in a few minutes at the designated boarding area. Half an hour later, my wife borrowed a cell phone from another passenger and called a second time. This time she was told that they were dropping off a large group at another ship and then they would be on the way to the designated area. Another half hour passed and with time running out, we were forced to take a taxi to the Fort Lauderdale Airport.

Note to Steve: Please do not tell us stories. The truth would have been much preferred. If you don't want the bother of picking up only a twosome, just say so, but don't just leave us hanging on the sidewalk forever with no SAS van in sight. Over an hour is too long to be kept standing on the sidewalk, don't you think.

His story sounds feasible. I can't imagine what it must be like to have to juggle all that transportation on a day with a lot of ships coming in and many passengers with different flights, etc. Things happen!

Part of the problem it sounds like, also, was him having no way to contact you. I can understand your frustration but he has no interest in losing all the business he gets from people on CC so I'm sure he was not trying to shaft you deliberately.

As I said in my original post, When I called SAS from the port, we were directed to wait at the end of arrival point "G" by Steve. I even reverified that with him during that call. We called SAS a half an hour later from a borrowed cell phone we were told to stay right there. WE NEVER LEFT THAT SPOT FOR AN HOUR. Note also that no van with SAS markings stopped or even passed our area. Others did!!! I don't think that SAS ever attempted to pick us up as Steve says, at least not in the first hour!!

If a Cell phone is a requirement for transport, then state that, otherwise I would not waste my time waiting for a van that was not coming.

For those of you thast think we were not where we sere supposed to be, you have that right, but you were not there, we were, and we were alone!

Archived