Enchantment of the Seas cruises from Colon

Fran Harp

I sent a cruise review more then ten days ago and it still hasn't appeared. It may have been too long for the reviews, no idea. However, for those of you going on this particular itinerary, here is a shortened version. In Panama City, we stayed in the Sheraton Conference Centre for two nights, and then the Hotel Veneto, which was the hotel selected by RCI. If you want any information about either hotel, or about tours of the canal ahead of time, email me at franota at rogers dot com.

Review:

Cruise Day: We were downstairs at the right time to get our transfer, and a taxi driver showed up and said he was to take four people to Enchantment of the Seas, but he has to make a drop at the airport first and then will come back for us. We think there is something funny - and sure enough, just after that a legitimate tour bus driver showed up with our names and those of several others, and the RCI sign on the front of the bus. So, just a warning - Royal will have it worked out, if you have transfers wait for the right bus.

The trip started well, out a fantastic super highway which goes, alas, about one-third of the way to Colon and the rest is under construction. When done it will make the drive to Colon faster, but not necessarily nicer. We got off the highway where the current construction begins, and bumped our way over several kilometres of potholes which rival anything Toronto winters can produce. But the driver went dead slow, and we got to the “other side” where decent road kicked in. Heck, it was fun driving through the countryside and seeing how the average Panamanian lives.

At the port, check-in was surely one of the easiest, fastest and best organised I’ve ever done. They directed my friend to drop off the luggage while I got a place in the line, such as it was. There were about twenty wickets open, and they were whipping people through in no time. There was no Platinum/Diamond line - and I found out why later...there were only a handful of Platinum and Diamond cruisers on board, no need for a separate line. Kudos to all the organisers there.

Within fifteen minutes we were on board, on our way to the Windjammer to eat, and into our rooms right at 1. After a tour of the ship, we flopped in our bed until dinner. Early seating is 7 p.m., late is 9:30 - and there’s a reason for that, which you will see in the dining room.

Being good little North Americans who are slaves to time, we show up right at 7 for seating, right? Not so the South Americans. They roll in anytime between 7 and 8. Now *this* is anytime dining!!! I didn’t ask how the anytime dining worked out on this ship, as it would have been hard to tell. I know they were offering it on Deck 5 of the dining room, but given that people tended to come whenever they wanted, it just kind of happened and everyone adjusted. It was disconcerting for the Dining Room staff, but they also got used to it. 9:30 dinner was full, which is entirely cultural and hence understandable; Spain is similar - dinner is sometime around 9:30 or 10. People just don’t eat earlier. So we got to the point where we showed up for dinner at 7:15 without feeling guilty for being late.

Our headwaiter was Natalia, the quintessential headwaiter. She is, I believe, the assistant director of headwaiters, but works the floor like everyone else. She stops at every table, talks to everyone, every single night, and is just exceptional at her job. I had been introduced to her before getting on the ship, through a mutual friend, and for sure she looked after us well. But what impressed me was that all the tables and all the guests were treated equally as well. Our table waiter was Mirasol, and Assistant Waiter Carlos - both exceptional people who worked very, very hard to look after everything. Mirasol must have decided we weren’t eating enough, because she brought us other food as well. We did our best to please her; the additional five pounds I gained on this cruise are adequate proof of that! You cannot get any better than Mirasol or Carlos.

We also had the run of the Concierge Lounge, as there were so few Diamond or Diamond Pluses on board. So Platinum got to be Diamond for this cruise. ..and our room was just down the hall, so it was easy to schlep in my robe to get a morning latte.

After dinner we headed to the opening show, which for early seating is 10 to 11, and then back into bed, happy to be aboard - and Fran the Cruise Junkie was jittery with excitement at being on board AGAIN! The show was rather a let-down for an opening night show, but worth seeing.

Day Two: Cartagena de Indias, Colombia. Our canoe trip to the mangroves was cancelled due to lack of participation. So we signed up for the tour of Cartagena, which included the museum of the Inquisition, and a chilling show of instruments of torture used during the Spanish inquisition and witch hunts. In the name of God. Frightful. As we were walking along, we passed a fruit vendor where fresh mangoes were on sale. One US dollar for a huge mango, sliced and ready to eat - and fresh and juicy.

Back on the ship about 4, we rested strenuously till pre-dinner drink time at 6, and then shuffled to the lounge for a glass or two. Then on to the dinner table, where we discovered a bottle of wine , and some hors d’oeuvres had been sent by a very sweet and dear friend on the ship.

Did I mention yet that I drank more on this trip than in the last three years, and it’s only day two? Now you know what clergy on vacation do...... Dinner over, we opted for the show, which was spectacular (but then the Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers always are), then reading a book, sitting out on the balcony watching the sea, and some sleep.

Day Three: We passed on going in to Santa Marta, as we were having a very special dinner in the evening, and decided we didn’t wish to arrive looking like boiled lobsters with fried eyeballs. It was extremely hot in Santa Marta, and neither of us was excited about any of the tours. So we went to the Solarium, no one there, parked ourselves and went swimming and reading till we fall asleep in the chairs. After some more strenuous resting in the room, we proceed to the appointed meeting place, and follow the captain - saluting all the way - to dinner.

Day Four: Aruba. Our tour was not the most useful, I think. We had originally booked the jeep safari, but that too was cancelled due to lack of participation, so we booked this one in a hurry. Aruba is a small island, mostly desert-type, and fairly flat. There is one tiny hill, more like a pimple actually, which is called the Haystack. But the tour driver took us around to all the fancy hotels and golf course - as if those were sights worth seeing. I wasn’t impressed with large lavish western-style hotels. Then we went to the California lighthouse, and a very interesting rock formation which requires a little climbing to see virtually all of Aruba from the top, and finish at the Chapel of Santa Maria. Of course, Aruba is struggling to re-develop some industry and income, and with the discovery of oil in Venezuela has built a processing plant. Plus, salt production is again on the way. Nevertheless, this particular tour was less than it was described to be.

Day Five: Curacao. This was a beautiful island, and lots to do, in terms of excursions. Since our tour was again cancelled, we decided just to get off the ship and find a driver who would take us around to the underground caves. For twenty dollars each we were able to negotiate a fairly good tour of the island and sights - and with six other people in the minivan, we had a wonderful trip. It is much hillier and more tropical and wet, and Willemstad is a neat and clean town. As well as the caves and sights around, however, there is McDonald’s and such like, as well as many large hotels being built - and I have to wonder why it is we go to these little jewels of places, and then insist on imposing our particular brand of cultural imperialism. It is shameful, actually. There will be a point where Curacao will be spoiled. I can’t understand the need to remake everywhere so it looks like us.

Day 6: Bonaire. This place is our favourite. We have booked a beach day, and the little water taxi scoots us to the lovely island of Klein Bonaire, a protected wildlife sanctuary where turtles breed, and flamingoes live. There is one reasonable area for swimming and snorkelling, and I spend hours looking at flowers, tiny yellow warblers, little black and white striped fish in the rock pools. The sand is white and there is shade under the low trees. The water is supposedly the best in the Caribbean for snorkelling - and certainly for swimming it is lovely.

Day 7: Sea Day. We are kept busy with a galley tour, bridge tour, Crown and Anchor party, dinner in Chops with the wonderful friend who send the champagne.

Return to Colon: Disembarkation is not as well organised as embarkation was. We got white luggage tags because of Crown and Anchor status, and green luggage tags because we had a transfer back to the city. Seapass accounts were not on the door when we vacated the room just before 6:30, so I went to Guest Relations to have one printed, only to find that they were being delivered right then.

Liquor purchased ashore had to be picked up at the Conference Centre, but it was right at the Schooner Bar where we had been told to wait to be called. Except that the line up was all the way to the elevators, and moving dead slow, and people were trying to get past us to go to the Spotlight Lounge to wait. Instead of shipboard announcements for departure, there were people in each waiting area calling out the numbers. Except that there was no one in the Schooner Bar that I could tell, and I finally went out to find a staff person who could ascertain if we had been called. That sorted, we made our way off the ship.

Luggage was easy to find, but although there was supposed to be a Royal Caribbean representative to help us find our bus, it was chaos trying to identify who could direct us. We did figure that out too, but more than one RCI rep, clearly identified, would have been helpful. One little sign in that crush of people doesn’t quite work.

I know that this is still a process in the developing, and as it gets tweaked it will get better. These are just things I noticed.

General comments:

Enchantment is a beautiful ship, and this was my third time onboard. The first trip was in July 2001 (pre-stretch), and the second July 2008, post-stretch. It was fascinating seeing how the stretch has been done. She looks neat and clean, always - I didn’t see much more than a little sand on my balcony, and that was probably from me anyway. Enchantment is one of the graceful ships in the fleet.

Shows: Anything with the Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers is worth the walk to the theatre. I’ve seen Tango Buenos Aires three times now, with some variation, and it is just fantastic.- and as usual the band is incredible as well.

Illusionist Carlos Barragan was also worth the walk. He is an award winning illusionist now based in Las Vegas, and was able to do much of the show in both languages - and of course, lots of it didn’t need language anyway.

Staff and Crew: I can’t name everyone, but I can say that everyone onboard was friendly and helpful. Here are a few:

Dining room - of course Natalia the super-headwaiter; Mirasol and Carlos who are both absolutely wonderful, and worth their weight in gold. Clement our room attendant, who was so unbelievably quiet and unobtrusive, yet always there, and always knew what we liked in the room.

Guest Relations: Rosa Torres, who was on with us in July, and who is always helpful and considerate, and a very wise woman into the bargain. Cheers, Rosita!!! Her staff was also always helpful, courteous and kind.

Concierge Gonzalo: He is a sweetheart if there ever was one. He had a hard act to follow, since he came in after Julian left. But he was helpful, kind, and serious about being good at his job. Thanks Gonzalo for looking after us so well.

Crew: Michael Rasmussen, the Hotel Director, who sat with us at lunch and regaled us with hilarious stories of tennis in Australia.

The galley staff who joked with us even as they were rushing to prepare more food. - and took time to explain it all to us.

....and of course, the boys on the bridge. Of note, Karl Merikallio the First Officer, (who lives just blocks from me in Toronto, it turns out) who took such care explaining how everything works. He almost died of heart failure trying to keep passengers’ hands off the controls. I thought they should have been removed from the bridge. You just don’t touch those things!!!!!

Captain Espen Been is newly promoted to Master, since July this year. Although I’ve liked every captain I have sailed with, he is certainly my favourite - so I guess I am not totally objective in this review. :) This was a second trip with Captain Espen, and it was great to renew acquaintance and get to know him better. I can’t say whether or not he was visible on the ship, because I was off the ship a lot of the time, and running around with friends while onboard; but I do know he is actively involved with crew and staff activities, appeared in the theatre for the farewell show, plus the usual receptions and dinner, and bridge tours. He speaks Spanish and English fluently, and in fact it’s pretty impressive - since I don’t speak more than ten words of either Spanish or Norwegian. I am always in awe of people who speak so many languages.

I also have to say I found out on this trip how incredibly busy the bridge crew are all the time. On a port-intensive trip such as this one, it is constant, and there is little if any down time. People who complain about not seeing the captain should perhaps spend a week following him around the ship. Exhausting and constant, 24/7.

People on the ships work long hard, and often unappreciated hours, and most of us would drop if we had to keep up with them. I have nothing but respect and admiration for them.

Itinerary: Sending Enchantment to Panama is an experiment, and it will probably take a couple of years for the wrinkles to shake out. 65% of the crew is Spanish speaking, some of them still rather new. 95% of the passengers are Spanish speaking, and the whole tone of the ship is different. I have never been on such an easy and laid-back cruise. It was a joy, actually.

If I were to make any recommendation, it would be that Santa Marta be dropped as a port, and either another port, or a sea day or something inserted. Five ports in seven days is a bit of a stretch in my mind - not so much for the passengers as for the crew. Pax can opt to rest if we like - staff and crew can’t, and there is always something to be done.

Although there were lots of excursions advertised, three of our four got cancelled because of little participation. With a passenger load from Panama, Costa Rica and other South American countries, many of them new to cruising, the usual way of doing things won’t work. In almost every case, the passengers got off the ship and just haggled their own tour price with a taxi driver - because it was cheaper than the excursions offered by Royal. I am not sure how this can be addressed, but I think it is an example of offering something in a new place without completely understanding the cultural ways. What works here for us won’t necessarily work there.

For example, I wanted to make a reservation in Chops, and was worried I would not get one. But Chops was almost deserted, and passengers weren’t going there to eat.

While the ship was almost at capacity for this cruise, it will be only half full for a couple of subsequent trips. That translates to less work for the staff, fewer patrons in the dining room per waiter, hence fewer tips. Since staff have to pay their own way to and from the ship, they have to save enough money to travel home when the contract is up. If more business isn’t generated, some of them might be moved to other ships, but some might also lose their jobs.

Even so, I highly recommend this trip. Even if you don’t speak Spanish, don’t worry. Most of the passengers spoke some English, and if you see it as an opportunity to learn, you can have a really good time. I did. In fact, when I got off the ship I wanted to turn around and go right back on again. I have a serious case of Post Cruise Depression - and there’s nothing for it but to book another cruise. “Muchas gracias” to everyone aboard for a wonderful, joyful, relaxing trip.

Fantastic review!!! Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review.

Are you actually in Bogota? I loved Colombia, and realised there is so much more than we see in the news. Another visit is required, I think. I have a young friend attending university in Bogota, and was sorry there wasn't time to get to see her. Maybe some other time.

It was a fantastic cruise - most enjoyable all round....

Fran in Toronto

Can you tell me if the menus were changed for this cruise or if we can expect typical RCCL items on the menu? Thank you!

They were pretty much going with the new RCI menus which just came out a while back - not many changes. You are more likely to find some different stuff in the Windjammer. But I never have complaints about the food on RCI ships, and they had some of the stuff I really do love, especially the cold soups.

The quality of meat in Chops was superb. It is mostly South American meats, and they are raised without any additives or anything - and it was quite impressive. If you are doing this one, a trip to Chops would be worth it.

Fran in Toronto

Thanks so much for the review. We booked this cruise a couple of weeks ago and we are from Ohio, and I have been actively reading reviews (there aren't many). This will be my 6th cruise and my husband's 2nd. I travel lots out of the country, as our daughter is a flight attendant...my husband doesn't share my love of travel:-) However...I have never been on a cruise where most are Spanish speaking--the price of $299 for 7 nights was too hard to pass up. The cruise should be fun and I am hoping not too confusing.

I do have a question regarding transfers back to the airport after the cruise.

We fly standby and never take more than one suitcase each, so we will be off the ship first--is that right? Did you see taxis or vans waiting to take passengers without RCI transfers? We have the opportunity to catch a flight at 10:10am, but I am scared that the process of getting off the ship, getting a taxi quickly, and the long drive to the airport will not allow enough time. There is another flight at 2:00pm, which will work and we can book the RCI transfer from the ship. Do you have an opinion?

Thanks for your reply.

Great review...BTW I noticed my review of Liberty for 1/17 - 1/24 sailing took about 2 weeks to show up also...Must be backlogged.

I too am suffering PCD :( I've only been home a month and it seems like SO LONG AGO.

I was browsing around prices for cruises in March over spring break when my son is off and there are some great deals out there. I seen the Echantment Panama 7 day for $449 for an oceanview or $999 for a balcony guarantee. I tried and tried to find an airfare deal to go along with that, but no luck. There are great cruise prices to be found, but unfortunately airfare is not the same story.

Your itinerary was awesome. Don't know so much about Columbia but would love to see the A B C islands!

Just for my future reference in case this does ever work out - do you fly into Panama City? And how long of a drive is it from Panama City to Colon?

We settled for a quick land trip to Cancun in a month from now - found an airfare deal for $99 each person each way. This will be our first land based vacation in a while. We've went on 3 cruises and now we're trying this. Not sure how it will compare, for instance - here I am still frequenting these boards even though I don't have a cruise in sight!

Hi, Kim--my daughter and I did Cancun last May for 5 days and we enjoyed the beach. It was all inclusive, so we layed out lots, read, and ate:-) Like a cruise, but staying in one place. Take the local bus into town--it's real cheap. We had a great time. We stayed at the Hotel Solaris (I think that is the name). Honestly, we had a great time. We did an excursion to the ruins, and ziplined, and something else. It was a cheap vacation.

Thanks so much for the review. We booked this cruise a couple of weeks ago and we are from Ohio, and I have been actively reading reviews (there aren't many). This will be my 6th cruise and my husband's 2nd. I travel lots out of the country, as our daughter is a flight attendant...my husband doesn't share my love of travel:-) However...I have never been on a cruise where most are Spanish speaking--the price of $299 for 7 nights was too hard to pass up. The cruise should be fun and I am hoping not too confusing.

I do have a question regarding transfers back to the airport after the cruise.

We fly standby and never take more than one suitcase each, so we will be off the ship first--is that right? Did you see taxis or vans waiting to take passengers without RCI transfers? We have the opportunity to catch a flight at 10:10am, but I am scared that the process of getting off the ship, getting a taxi quickly, and the long drive to the airport will not allow enough time. There is another flight at 2:00pm, which will work and we can book the RCI transfer from the ship. Do you have an opinion?

Thanks for your reply.

There were some taxis, but it might be worth getting the RCI transfer. You won't have time to make the airport by 10:10, the afternoon flight itself might be a bit tight but I think you could make it. On our cruise, the ship docked on time, but port authorities were a little slow clearing the ship, so we were not disembarking as soon as we expected.

From the airport in Panama City, to the ship in Colon, is a roughly two and a half hour drive as you know. If you are staying over in a hotel in Panama City the night before boarding, it's a two-hour drive, maybe a bit less. They were building the freeway as fast as they could, so how much further it has gone I don't know. At the moment the freeway ends and you go two-lane highway the rest of the way. It was terrible road on the way there, but by the return trip it was all paved.

Although most of the pax will be Spanish speaking, there are many who also have some English, and you can get English menus etc. There are still a few glitches in the way things are done, as it is a new itinerary and I think there were a few things they hadn't thought of. It didn't ruin our cruise. If you are beach types, go to the beach in Bonaire. It was gorgeous.

I hope you have as much fun as we did. Enjoy!!!!

Fran in Toronto

Great review...BTW I noticed my review of Liberty for 1/17 - 1/24 sailing took about 2 weeks to show up also...Must be backlogged.

I too am suffering PCD :( I've only been home a month and it seems like SO LONG AGO.

I was browsing around prices for cruises in March over spring break when my son is off and there are some great deals out there. I seen the Echantment Panama 7 day for $449 for an oceanview or $999 for a balcony guarantee. I tried and tried to find an airfare deal to go along with that, but no luck. There are great cruise prices to be found, but unfortunately airfare is not the same story.

Your itinerary was awesome. Don't know so much about Columbia but would love to see the A B C islands!

Just for my future reference in case this does ever work out - do you fly into Panama City? And how long of a drive is it from Panama City to Colon?

Yeah, I am still in PCD...a month later. This is BAAAAAAAADDDDDD.

We were quite lucky with airfare. Our national airline, Air Canada, (aka Air Scamada) was selling fares for $1200. I think NOT!!!! But we got a fantastic deal with Continental for $555. Our cruise fare was a little higher than yours, but still a deal.

As I mentioned just above, yes, you fly into Panama City, and the drive from the airport to the cruise terminal is roughly two and a half hours, unless you get stuck in rush hour. :D One thing I think I would do next time, if I went, would be to book a hotel in Colon and go straight there, and it's then only 15 minutes to the ship.

Hope you manage to do it - it is a really interesting itinerary, lots of history in Cartagena.

Fran in Toronto

We are booked for the cruise on 3/8 and are looking forward to it. We are diamond plus and have never sailed this itinerary or sailed this ship, so we are very excited. Loved your review. We have been upgraded to a owner suite from a regular balcony, so we were very excited about this also. Can't wait to sail, not to excited about the trip to the ship from the airport....

We are booked for the cruise on 3/8 and are looking forward to it. We are diamond plus and have never sailed this itinerary or sailed this ship, so we are very excited. Loved your review. We have been upgraded to a owner suite from a regular balcony, so we were very excited about this also. Can't wait to sail, not to excited about the trip to the ship from the airport....

Glad you liked the review. The drive to the ship is not so bad - it is interesting driving through the Panama countryside. Enchantment is a lovely ship, at least in my opinion. Your captain will be Shrecko (Felix) Ban - from Croatia. I don't know who the concierge will be, Gonzalo left for vacation just after we did. I found sailing with a lot of South Americans a lot of fun - and there are about three midnight pool buffets, if the weather is good.

Enjoy that suite!!!!

Fran in Toronto

Fran Harp, I really enjoyed your review. I know Hubby would love to take this cruise. I am not so enthusiastic because we did that long ride from Panama City to Colon on a tour bus connected with an excursion on Brilliance. I really DID NOT enjoy that ride and don't want to do it again. Still, I know Hubby would love this cruise. We've sailed Enchanment before and we both liked the ship.

We speak Spanish so that isn't a problem for us. Just curious, were there Brazilians aboard too or were there mostly Spanish-speaking passengers?

One other question I am eager to ask. You said your server was Mirasol. I wanted to ask you if, in fact, it wasn't a Filipina named Marisol who does work in the dining room on Enchantment?

We have sailed with her on four cruises (three Majesty; one, Brilliance.) What tipped me off that it might be Marisol is when you said she brought you extra food. I've just never had better service from anyone than Marisol. She was especially good to us because we lived in the Philippines too, so we had so much to talk about. She knew we love iced tea and she was fanatic about keeping our iced tea glasses filled. It was almost comical.

I've never been to Bonaire, but have heard the same things you said that it was your favorite place of the cruise.

Thanks for your review. I really enjoyed it and appreciate your assessment of the cruise. I am saddened to learn that lovely Enchantment is sailing half full.

Thanks for your review - we decided a few days ago to sail the reposition trip back to Ft. Lauderdale in April. There is very little posted about this ship.

I Googled Panama City to Colon and found the distance as 56 miles - guess an hour's bus ride was optomistic. Appreciate the "2 1/2 hour ride" forewarning. My expectations are more in line now, that's for sure.

• 6 months later...

FYI The road from Colón to Panamá City is complete. We live in Panamá although we haven't driven it yet, I'm told the drive is now 55 minutes not including city traffic at either end. PC traffic is always bad (except Sundays), so you must take that into consideration when planning any touring.

We're going on this cruise in Feb. 2010 with a group from our local Panamá City Elks Lodge 1414....should be a blast! This is our 3rd RCCL cruise and first time on the Enchantment of the Seas. We've been on the Radiance of the Seas for the Alaska cruise and the Navigator of the Seas, when it was the largest in 2005.

Vicki

La Chorrera, Panamá

formerly Florida but there are no hurricanes in Panamá!

FYI The road from Colón to Panamá City is complete. We live in Panamá although we haven't driven it yet, I'm told the drive is now 55 minutes not including city traffic at either end. PC traffic is always bad (except Sundays), so you must take that into consideration when planning any touring.

We're going on this cruise in Feb. 2010 with a group from our local Panamá City Elks Lodge 1414....should be a blast! This is our 3rd RCCL cruise and first time on the Enchantment of the Seas. We've been on the Radiance of the Seas for the Alaska cruise and the Navigator of the Seas, when it was the largest in 2005.

Vicki

La Chorrera, Panamá

formerly Florida but there are no hurricanes in Panamá!

A wonderful blog written by Don Ray called Chiriquí Chatter has a review of his very enjoyable cruise in March 2009. I wrote and asked for permission to post the link here.

Don wrote about each day individually with great pix included. Here's the last day and at the end are links to the other posts by city.

http://www.chiriquichatter.net/blog/2009/04/19/royal-caribbean-cruise-day-8-%E2%80%93-disembarking/

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Don Rays' detailed description of their wonderful time.

Thanks Don! We'll be doing this cruise in Feb. 2010 with friends from the Elks Lodge 1414 in Panama City, I can't wait.

Vicki

La Chorrera, Panama

• 3 weeks later...

We also had the run of the Concierge Lounge, as there were so few Diamond or Diamond Pluses on board. So Platinum got to be Diamond for this cruise. ..and our room was just down the hall, so it was easy to schlep in my robe to get a morning latte.

I assume that you were not notified of the use of the concierge lounge until you arrived? we are platinum and were wondering when you were advised of this - first day or what? We will be in a balcony.

Archived