Help...Alaska...Which line/which ship

megr1125

Hey gang....looking at going west....to Alaska. Mom wants to go there...I created a cruise monster (like that is a bad thing?) I think that the rules say cruises are for WARM water and islands. SHE seems to think the rules say you can go to Alaksa.

So, since mommies are always right (uh huh) what do y'all think? We did AOS in Oct and loved RCCL. Plus, seems like overall the cabins are bigger for the money that on Princess or Celeb. Anyone have any thoughts???

Gotta start planning........I need something to look forward to so I can get through the holiday shopping season without having to smack any customers!

thanks

meg

My recommendation a round trip from Vancouver on the Serenade (she's beautiful) and Go with at least an E1 for the balcony. That will give you plenty of room if it is just the two of you...;) . And now would be the time to book as you can probably still get an Aft cabin (if your lucky) or on on the hump (views to the water below) where we stayed. But this is just my choice...:)

I agree, Serenade or Radiance rountrip from Vancouver.

We sailed Carnival Spirit rountrip from Vancouver and NCL Sun roundtrip from Vancouver. Wish we had done the Serenade as we had planned. We choose the Spirit the first time because it was the cheapest and we were tight on the budget that year. Had a great time but felt that we were a little out of place. We are use to RCCL and we got all dressed up for Formal Night only to find our table mates in jeans with the real nice belt buckle, a shirt and sports jacket. Don't get me wrong we had a great time and for the price I would do it again, but...Oye. We sailed NCL Sun this year because we went with the in-laws and they wanted a suite, for 2 suites (our and there's) we found the price on the Sun was better than the Serenade so we switched ships... Again had a great time (it's Alaska how could you not) but wish we would have stayed with RCCL. It is my understanding that Princess has a very good Alaska cruise, but I think I would still stay with Serenade or Radiance if I was to go again. I also think that for the difference in ports of call is not that much to do a one way trip vs a roundtrip. And with roundtrip the airfare is cheaper. Plus Vancouver is a nice place to pre and or post night... so unless you are looking to do a cruise and land package where you want to end up in Alaska for the land part, I would go with the Round trip option.

I agree too though you MUST have a balcony for an Alaska cruise and if you can get aft that is awesome....

We did the Northbound trip on the Vision in September and would do it again in a heartbeat. We took a few extra days and took the train into Anchorage and did some day trips in a car rental. What fabulous scenery on the ship and in the train and car. I have the most beautiful pictures and memories! You and your mom will love every minute of the trip. Be sure and use Priceline for your hotel rooms and car rental as everything is pretty expensive up there.

I would recommend going on Celebrity. We did the 12 night out of San Francisco in May on the Mercury and it was just fantastic. The coming year they will be doing it on the Infinity and we have booked to go again. The Infinity also does 7 day cruises during the season.

My recommendation a round trip from Vancouver on the Serenade (she's beautiful) and Go with at least an E1 for the balcony. That will give you plenty of room if it is just the two of you...;) . And now would be the time to book as you can probably still get an Aft cabin (if your lucky) or on on the hump (views to the water below) where we stayed. But this is just my choice...:)

How can you deterime which cabins are on the hump? And can't you see the water below from all balcony cabins? I have only sailed with balcony on Rhapsody and Splendour and I could see the water below both times. What is the difference in these ships and the Serenade?

Meg, I am the CC Group Leader for the Serenade to Alaska 08/07/05. We are sailing R/T out of Vancouver. I sailed the Radiance to Alaska in 2003 and loved it so much I wanted to go back. Please let me know if you have any questions that I can answer for you. We have a bunch of people in our group that are traveling with their parents, I am in fact one of them!

Misty

Our Alaska cruise in 2002 was the best vacation we have ever taken -- by far. We were on Celebrity Summit, and I would recommend it highly (if that's allowed on an RCI board). Regardless of the ship, I recommend taking a one-way trip (either north- or south-bound). The scenery on the ship and in the ports in outstanding, but I think you miss out on much of the Alaskan culture (and many inspiring sites and wildlife opportunities) if you don't spend 2 or 3 days inland. We thoroughly enjoyed a day in Anchorage and two days in Talkeetna. We didn't make it all the way to Denali or Fairbanks, but have heard wonderful things about those areas as well. We chose the car rental and bed & breakfast route, but the cruise tours get rave reviews too.

Wish I was going too...

I totaly understand your desire to smack a few customers around. And I know the disire gets worst as Christmas gets closer.

I also agree that the Radiance and Serenade would be my choice for Alaska.

The one downside is that most of the cabins on deck have a canopy over the lifeboats that block the view straight down. (you can still see the water looking out) The angle improves as you go up to decks 8,9 and 10. On the hump, The bulge in near the middle, the lifeboats are not below. Also if you look at the deck plans you will see that the cabins near the front and back extend out and do not have the lifeboats. The downside of those cabins are that are further away from the elevators and other activities.

As a comparison, I toured the Saphire Princess (same as DiamonD Princess) their balconies are steped up the side of the ship. The bottom ones can look straight down at the water but on each deck going up they step back and look down at the balcony below. (I would not care for this)

thanks gang....we had a hump balcony (jr ste) on AOS so that was great. we were docked opposite the golden princess...i too thought the stepped balconies were wacky! unless you want to drop raisins on the people below you!!

we shall take all this under consideration...but if anone else has some tidbits, let me know!

thanks

Our Alaska cruise in 2002 was the best vacation we have ever taken -- by far. We were on Celebrity Summit, and I would recommend it highly (if that's allowed on an RCI board). Regardless of the ship, I recommend taking a one-way trip (either north- or south-bound). The scenery on the ship and in the ports in outstanding, but I think you miss out on much of the Alaskan culture (and many inspiring sites and wildlife opportunities) if you don't spend 2 or 3 days inland. We thoroughly enjoyed a day in Anchorage and two days in Talkeetna. We didn't make it all the way to Denali or Fairbanks, but have heard wonderful things about those areas as well. We chose the car rental and bed & breakfast route, but the cruise tours get rave reviews too.

Wish I was going too...

We're booked on the Summit for the southbound cruise next June with a 5 day land tour(#11) before boarding the ship in Seward on June 10th. This will be our first Alaskan cruise and my first time to go there. My DW lived in Alaska for 6 years before we met. We decided to try Celebrity because of the great reviews of the Summit and wanted a change of pace from our usual Caribbean vacation.

Stretch

Archived