Are bank drafts accepted for payment of onboard accounts

mattie00

:confused:We have a USD bank account but can only get traveller's cheques in a maximum denomination of $100. Since we would prefer to not have to sign our names so many times we are looking for other options. Our USD account cannot be accessed using our bank cards. The only other option I can think of would be a USD bank draft or money order payable to NCL. Does anyone know if NCL will accept this form of payment? We are doing the very expensive Machu Picchu tour and know that we will have a substantial onboard account to pay. It is our preference to use our USD bank account rather than credit card due to the good exchange we got for that money vs what the current exchange rate is (approximately $0.79 CDN to the USD!). Thanks.

Here are the forms of payment accepted onboard for your account:

How do I pay for onboard expenses?

For your convenience, all shipboard expenses are charged to NCL's special onboard credit program. Sign up on the first day of your cruise, by establishing your method of payment with Visa®, MasterCard®, American Express®, Discover®, Diners Club®,travelers checks or cash. If you choose to settle your account with cash, a deposit will be required in advance. You may also use your debit card; however, please be advised that NCL obtains pre-authorization which some banks may hold for up to 30 days.

This is from their website. Banks drafts wouldn't be accepted but your travelers checks should be OK.

Thanks so much for your quick responses. I was already familiar with what they say on the website. Don't want to pack $3500 USD with us for 2 days in Santiago pre-cruise and don't like the idea of having to sign 35 traveller's cheques twice. However, that may be our only option. I am currently waiting to hear back from NCL. The initial contact said she believed a bank draft was possible but wanted to check further and call me back. Don't understand why a bank draft or money order wouldn't be acceptable. The money has already been debited out of your account and is payable to NCL. However, we may end up either doing USD traveler's cheques or obtaining a USD Visa card.:p

please excuse me if i am giving the wrong idea here but ncl has a onboard credit option that you can get before you board. perhaps you could call them and set it up for the amount you want and it will be a done deal. i dont know if you have to use a credit card or not or if they decuct it from your bank account. it might be something to think about. if im way out in left bank with this idea please dont haze me too much :o.

please excuse me if i am giving the wrong idea here but ncl has a onboard credit option that you can get before you board. perhaps you could call them and set it up for the amount you want and it will be a done deal. i dont know if you have to use a credit card or not or if they decuct it from your bank account. it might be something to think about. if im way out in left bank with this idea please dont haze me too much :o.

I actually think it is a great idea, although I do think there is a rather small limit that you can buy. Like only several hundred dollars worth. Not 100% for sure though.

Thanks so much for your response. Our problem is that we really don't want to pre-pay so much money to NCL in case our most expensive tour ($4000 USD) gets cancelled for some reason. We don't want to end up with a credit in our on board account and then have to chase down NCL for the refund. We are leaning towards either the possibility of a hand cramp signing traveler's cheques :eek: or obtaining a US$ credit card. My TA has already advised me that his response from NCL is no bank drafts. :mad:

I actually think it is a great idea, although I do think there is a rather small limit that you can buy. Like only several hundred dollars worth. Not 100% for sure though.

oh, i did not know there was a limit on the amount. but it looks like that would not work for them anyway. i wish them luck on how they solve the problem.

Archived