Are you First class or Steerage?

My guess is that the Gold seapass cards will mean about as much as Gold credit cards, with the only practical effect being quick ID to get into the suites-only section at the pool/shows.

I so agree...Its why its being done otherwise how do u identify yourself as a suite pax for those perks? Simple logic for some..

Could not have said it better. I am a suite guest and like the perks that come with it. However I would have no problem letting the conceirge know I will be attending the show tomorrow night. If I don't call, I don't get the VIP seating. Simple enough. And I don't need a chair at the pool. I never sit for more than 5 minutes.

I so agree! I was taught to be a lady which is IMO translated into showing consideration for others thru thoughtfulness & manners. I also travel solo a lot in suites and while I enjoy the perks, as a lady, I feel I shld be thoughtful and call if I am not using something - like my table for dinner in the d.r.

I am usually assigned a 2-top. Why leave it empty when I can simply release it?

I guess there are those who believe - 'I paid for it even if I am not using it' - but I am not one..

Yours is a simple and effective solution. If u don't use it u shld lose it :)

Have happy cruisin'!

I think folk who fork out those prices deserve the extra perks. And I think it's smart of RCCL to add them. Giving these extras, is costing them very little. I've looked at the pics of some of the suites and I have to say the junior suite on Royal, looks smaller than the ordinary cabin I had on Disney. I did think they were charging a lot for what they were giving in return, so I guess they're probably feeling the need to offer some added incentives to get folk to keep paying for their suites.

I don't see that it's a problem. Hotels and planes do the same. Sometimes, when I need to and when I can afford it, I fly Upper Class. And it does give me a lot of extras - access to the club lounge, getting on and off the plane first, much better service, better drinks and food whenever I want them and a really comfortable flat bed to sleep in.

But I don't think that's wrong. My choice to fly that way is usually work related. And it costs multiple times what I'd be paying in economy. I certainly wouldn't pay those prices if I wasn't getting all the perks. And those perks, in addition to the extra space, probably don't cost the airline a whole heap.

Suite guests deserve it. Royal Caribbean charges a pretty penny for those cabins. I'm sure that those that are bothered by it will build a bridge to get over it.:rolleyes:

Yes, they will build a bridge to another Cruise line that does not have a Class System, especially in the Public Venues. If RCI keeps this going, I will. I have had Suites, Balcony cabins, OV and even a couple IS but the nice thing was that on Deck everyone was equal.

Give them nice amenities in their Cabins, special parties etc, but Diamond this, Elite that, or Suite whatever should not matter in Public Venues. They should be Class Less- wait that does not sound quite right:-)

Maybe it's those who feel they are due "special attention" in public venues are already Classless.

"Who's better than me?" No one!

If on my next cruise I see one of those roped of areas and I see a handful of 'suite passengers' in there I'll play a joke on them and will grab me 30 'normal' passengers, we'll turn our pool loungers around, sit in front of them and will just stare at those 'suities' for the next two hours.

Now thats real grown-up. The cruise line gives you a perk and you are considered wrong for excepting it. I would hope that you would have difficulty in finding 30 people the same as you.

You go girl...

Johnny, your back. I missed you.

I never left, we'll only one thread maybe...

Good to see you on CC and just not email.

Just making up a batch of johnny's killer chocolate chip cookies, come on over Laurie...

Frankly, RCI needed to do something to attract people to purchase their suites. While the extra room, and some of the furnishings are great, they were lagging behind most of the other main stream cruise lines in providing some sort of additional perks.

Happy Cruising,

TnT

Wow, it seems like there is a lot of hostility on this subject...

As for me, I don't think the suite perks seem too extreme. The only issue I see is that it's inefficient to reserve deck chairs or theater seats for people who may or may not use them. I agree with the poster who said maybe they could be saved on an individual basis when requested. Then again, it would be a little odd to be laying out in a roped off area (especially with 30 some-odd folks with chips on their shoulders staring at us "suities" all day :o)

As for the colored seapass cards, I don't think it will become a class issue where people with gold cards are catered to and everyone else is given sub par service. But now, after reading this thread, I am going to feel like a jerk on my next cruise when I get my gold card and wonder which people think I am a "suite snob". Maybe I can paint over it with White Out so I don't offend anyone. :rolleyes:

Honestly, it all seems pretty silly to me. Suites cost a good amount more than staterooms so it is normal that there would be different perks. As others have said, it's the same with hotels and airlines. Nothing new! EVERYONE deserves stellar treatment on board and I think Royal Caribbean will continue giving such treatment to all guests. It's just a shame that some people might be too concerned with others to enjoy the perks of their own cruise.

I am really surprised at those who choose to judge their fellow passengers simply because they book a suite! I do not intend to share with others my investment situation, if I have any debt, what I do for a living, if I have booked a suite "once in a lifetime" or every time we cruise! One thing I will share is that I LOVE A SUITE!! Not because I feel that I am better than ANYONE!! Simply because that is what we like, and I THOUGHT that was our right. I don't think less of someone who decides to book an inside cabin, so why is it acceptable to judge me because I prefer to book a suite? I am pleased that Royal Caribbean has finally decided to give suite guests something a little extra for the cost of those suites. I will be enjoying my next cruise and all the perks that are included, because I will be on VACATION, and spending quality time with my family! So if you feel the need to be childish and stare at us at the pool, I will use you as an example to my grandchildren of rude behavior, and what NOT to be when they grow up!!!

If on my next cruise I see one of those roped of areas and I see a handful of 'suite passengers' in there I'll play a joke on them and will grab me 30 'normal' passengers, we'll turn our pool loungers around, sit in front of them and will just stare at those 'suities' for the next two hours.

I will make it quite enjoyable and well worth it for you. I'll lay on my stomach and you can stare at my @$$

I can think of a couple of reasons why I wouldn't want to carry a gold card if I were in a suite.

1. I wouldn't want people to notice. Call me paranoid, but I don't want anybody but my friends to know that I'm staying someplace expensive.

2. I would never sit in the front of the theater. I have trouble staying awake, and don't need to be the butt of some comedian's joke, or hurting some singer's feelings.:o

3. I demagnetize my Seapass at least once a cruise. Word from the Mariner is that they only have white replacement cards onboard. Imagine the horror of being treated like the Queen for 3 days and then being ignored for the rest of the cruise!:p

In all seriousness, I don't have a problem with extra perks, public or private, for those who book full suites. I should think that eventually each ship will report to Miami whether the roped off seats are used and if they are not the policy will change. I always hope for logic. I am often disappointed.

My guess is that the Gold seapass cards will mean about as much as Gold credit cards, with the only practical effect being quick ID to get into the suites-only section at the pool/shows.

As I thought about my initial concern, I came to the same conclusion.

I'm first class, but I travel steerage. James bond stuff you know.....1.gif

I like your way of thinking! I like to think we are first class too ... but I can just think of plenty of other things I'd rather spend that extra money on instead of a better room that we will hardly be in anyway!:o

I will assume this was probably just sarcasm, but i'll use it as an example - wouldn't this kind of behavior, and what others have posted about how "suite-ees" hypothetically might act with these new perks be just as bad as the couple you described wanting a table just because of a gold card? I have an upcoming honeymoon cruise, in a GS, paid for from both sides of our family as our gift (it will be many, well, decades, before I could afford that on my own, so interior is fine by me to keep cruisin' till then!). Will I use the amenities that are offered to suite guests? Abolutely!!! Will I be more than a little angry and frustrated if people try and act poorly to me just for using a perk that RC gives out to anyone in a certain cabins? You better believe it.

Poor behavior by some, causes poor behavior by others, and then it repeats - and really, thats not what a vacation needs to be about, as that happens plenty enough everyday in the real world (mainland as I call it! :cool:)

I agree. I have met many very sweet "suite-ies" while cruising. Some have been tablemates; some we became acquainted with in our Meet & Greet and during our Roll Call discussions. They have been very down-to-earth people who did not flaunt their status. I hope RCCL's attempt to reward them does not backfire on these good people.

Have a wonderful honeymoon cruise! Congratulations!

Well, that was really nice of them to do all this just in time for our first cruise in a Grand Suite (for our 30th Anniversary).

Have a wonderful cruise! I'm glad you will get to enjoy special perks. (I mean that - not being sarcastic.) :)

I happen to think that regardless of how much anyone paid for their stateroom they should have a chair and the simple solution is to enforce the policy against chair hogs, rather than "hog" chairs for one category of guests who may or may not use them. :rolleyes: We sometimes, but not always book suites but I believe I am entitled to a chair by the pool regardless of what category I booked or how much I paid.

Absolutely right on!

The problem is not the 'reserved' chairs, but the fact that the cruise line does not enforce their own policies about savinbg chairs. If they did, there wouldn't be a concern or issue with reserved chairs for suite or any other passengers.

The only reason they need to have reserved chairs is because they refuse to deal with the root cause problem of people saving chairs at 06:00 AM on sea days.

On the last cruise I was on they had attendents walking around with specila shirts indicating they were they to monitor and deal with saving chairs, but they didn't. What a waste.

They should deal with the problem instead of creating additional issues for all passengers. JMO.

You go girl...

I never left, we'll only one thread maybe...

Good to see you on CC and just not email.

Just making up a batch of johnny's killer chocolate chip cookies, come on over Laurie...

Doing the Atkins thing Johnny but bring me a few to savor the evening before we cruise and you can call me your official taste tester for the entire week. UMMMMMM-Yummy!

I guess they need the money so if it gets more people to spend theirs, then I won't have to spend mine. :) With our large family, a suite wouldn't hold us all so two OV or Inside rooms work better. Besides, as someone mentioned, we get to cruise more often! The savings will allow us to take my mom and step-dad on their first cruise ever. Now we just have to find a short one with a good itinerary. :)

Wow, it seems like there is a lot of hostility on this subject...

As for me, I don't think the suite perks seem too extreme. The only issue I see is that it's inefficient to reserve deck chairs or theater seats for people who may or may not use them. I agree with the poster who said maybe they could be saved on an individual basis when requested. Then again, it would be a little odd to be laying out in a roped off area (especially with 30 some-odd folks with chips on their shoulders staring at us "suities" all day :o)

As for the colored seapass cards, I don't think it will become a class issue where people with gold cards are catered to and everyone else is given sub par service. But now, after reading this thread, I am going to feel like a jerk on my next cruise when I get my gold card and wonder which people think I am a "suite snob". Maybe I can paint over it with White Out so I don't offend anyone. :rolleyes:

Honestly, it all seems pretty silly to me. Suites cost a good amount more than staterooms so it is normal that there would be different perks. As others have said, it's the same with hotels and airlines. Nothing new! EVERYONE deserves stellar treatment on board and I think Royal Caribbean will continue giving such treatment to all guests. It's just a shame that some people might be too concerned with others to enjoy the perks of their own cruise.

I agree, I actually found myself thinking-What will I do with my seapass card?- You see I normally wear a lanyard but now I wonder if I would be veiwed as a snob or someone feeling like my entitlement might be higher if I use it. And it's the non-suite guests that are making me feel this way. And I'm the snob?:)

Archived