New to NCL, Pearl cabin question.

gottacruisemore

That's an AD Romance suite and I'm booked into the same type of suite for my April cruise. We had an AD on the Dawn last year and the balcony size is incredible - we had enough space for 2 full-sized loungers and a small table with room to spare. The suite perks include butler and concierge service, breakfast and lunch at Cagney's FOC, priority embarkation, priority tendering if needed, etc. We love NCL suites and after our first AD on the Dawn last year, booked another for our upcoming Pearl and have also booked AD on the Dawn again for 2010.

I'll be sure to post some pix when I return. You will love the suite life:D.

The AD on the Pearl are terrific. The entry corridor is one side of the double sided closet. You can access the large closet from either side, a nice feature. There is a large (42") flat screen television and DVD above a credenza. Beyond the credenze is a table with four chairs. At the end of the corridor is a bar set up with wine glasses, coffee cups, a cap/coffee/hot water maker that grinds fresh beans and is refilled daily. There is a mini fridge below the coffee maker.

The large bed (1 mattress) not split-able is so comfortable. There is a couch and a chair and ottoman and plenty of room to move around inside the room. There is another corridor that leads to a double safes and drawers combo unit. There is a make up table with good lighting at the end of that second corridor. The deluxe bathroom is at the end, next to the make up table. Bath includes tub/shower and partitioned WC. There are high end soaps and lotions and stuff in the bath. They provide two thick rich bathrobes (a step up from the robes supplied to BA staterooms.)

The room has a multitude of lighting options, unlike balcony staterooms. There are even night lights under the tables that flank the bed, a nice touch.

The balcony has two high quality chaises, and two chairs and a table. The balcony is about 15' wide and about 8' deep. The rail of the balcony has glass panels so you have a great view of the ship's wake.

Edited to add: We're on the Pearl (4th time) on April 12th in 10166. We've been in 10166 on the Jade, Pearl and Jewel. Your invitation to have breakfast and lunch in Cagney's is a perk you're going to really like.

The butler gives you a full introduction to the way things work (TV, DVD, bean grinding coffee/cap maker, lights etc) and then brings you the daily snacks you've requested. You can have one or all of: choco strawberries, taco chips with salsa, fresh fruit, nuts and crackers, fresh veggies, the list goes on and on.

You're going to love the AD, they're very special staterooms!

Are the daily snacks pretty standard? do they charge for them? Do you think the snacks are the same in AE on the Pearl (given that the room is the same with the exception of the balcony I wouldn't imagine it'd be a whole lot different in terms of amenities). Thanks!

I believe the snacks they deliver every afternoon are the same for all suite guests. They'll give you a card with the full assortment and ask you to fill out which ones you'd like and then ask if you want the same ones every day, or whether you'd like to "mix them up."

Honestly, we're not talking about enormous platters of goodies. Generally, five or six dipped strawberries, six pieces of assorted chunk cheese and some crackers, a handfull of chips and a small bowel of salsa, etc..

We had the three or four we'd selected delivered every day, and on about the 8th day, asked her to just deliver fresh fruit (which they customize to suit your taste.)

...oh and no charge. Since the butler is the one delivering it, we didn't give a daily tip for snacks. We did "take care" of her twice on the 12 day cruise, once early on, and then the afternoon before disembarkation. That is still strictly your choice.

...oh and no charge. Since the butler is the one delivering it, we didn't give a daily tip for snacks. We did "take care" of her twice on the 12 day cruise, once early on, and then the afternoon before disembarkation. That is still strictly your choice.

Just to clarify what you posted, you mean it is their choice when they tip the butler, not if, right? Tips are expected for the butler and the concierge.

Terry and Doug,

I've gotten to the point in life, at the tender age of 53, that nothing that people do (especially when it comes to gratuities) surprises me anymore.

I would hope passengers reward the good service they receive from their butler and concierge. I just have heard so many things while on a cruise that give me the impression that people look for a reason to complain and therefore not tip.

We generally start off a cruise by "early tipping" (in part) the butler and concierge. We then give additional gratuities at the end of the cruise.

The answer in short is, yes I meant when you tip is your choice.

Archived