America's Cup Sailing Race and Dawn beach review

yogibeanie

This was my first trip to St. Martin. We started the day off with the America's cup Sailing Race. The race takes place where the ship is docked. The first half hour is spent telling you about the history of the America's Cup. It was interesting; however, they shouldn't do it in the hot sun with no shade. I was on Canda 2; I picked a medium job and was a wenchie wench. It was fun and easy to do. I liked the sailing trip. The boat went fast and it was fun. One lady got completely soaked from a rogue wave.

Afterwards, I went to Dawn Beach, only 15 minutes from the pier. The water was the warmest of all the island stops. The waves were fun and the snorkeling was great. It was one of the best beaches I've snorkeling from. I swam about half way to the Westin. There were 2 white buoys in the water. You need to swim out to the second one where the good part of the reef is. I saw a sea snake, 2 big puffer fishes, lots of the usual fishes, and a very large barracuda. I'd say it was close to 5 feet. It was cool to watch. It must have been scared of me, because I swam toward it to get a better look and it would just swim away. I gave up and moved on and returned to the same area. The barracuda found me again and I got a better look. My dad rented a chair with umbrella for only $5. That was all I saw of St. Martin. I would love to go back since I didn't do an island tour.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Yogi, we are also booked on the sailing regatta...what time did it start...ours says it starts at 1130 and goes for 3 hrs...was it the same for you. Also how did you get to Dawn beach and was it crowded?

thanks

izzy19

This was my first trip to St. Martin. We started the day off with the America's cup Sailing Race. The race takes place where the ship is docked. The first half hour is spent telling you about the history of the America's Cup. It was interesting; however, they shouldn't do it in the hot sun with no shade. I was on Canda 2; I picked a medium job and was a wenchie wench. It was fun and easy to do. I liked the sailing trip. The boat went fast and it was fun. One lady got completely soaked from a rogue wave.

Afterwards, I went to Dawn Beach, only 15 minutes from the pier. The water was the warmest of all the island stops. The waves were fun and the snorkeling was great. It was one of the best beaches I've snorkeling from. I swam about half way to the Westin. There were 2 white buoys in the water. You need to swim out to the second one where the good part of the reef is. I saw a sea snake, 2 big puffer fishes, lots of the usual fishes, and a very large barracuda. I'd say it was close to 5 feet. It was cool to watch. It must have been scared of me, because I swam toward it to get a better look and it would just swim away. I gave up and moved on and returned to the same area. The barracuda found me again and I got a better look. My dad rented a chair with umbrella for only $5. That was all I saw of St. Martin. I would love to go back since I didn't do an island tour.

Yeah, I did this a few years ago and it was the best excursion I've been on. Just beach time for this next trip. We do want to snorkel but want to shop too. Sounds like you had a great time. How did you get to Dawn Beach? taxi? how much?, alot nicer than just going to town beach?

Izzy:

The race I went on started at 10 and does last about 3 hours. To get to Dawn Beach, just take a taxi. It was $15 for 2 people and it takes 15 minutes to get there. The water and snorkeling was great there.

Archived