NCL SharkRay Alley beach lunch vs. town sightseeing

terryteacher

Can anyone give me specifics concerning the NCL excursions? I understand that you are picked up from the ship. Do you stop at Ambergris prior to Shark Ray alley? Can you just meet the boat/tour again and explore Ambergris on your own? My son and his friend would like to do some shore fishing. My daughter and I would like to do no more than an hour of shopping and then sit at beach. I am struggling with just going to the Belizean Beach day or making the trip to Ambergris/ Jerry Jeff Walker fan. We have bring to Stingray City in the Grand Cayman, so the stingrays would not be the pressing issue. I really don't want to go to port and fly over. Would Caye Caulker Thriller boat tour give us what I want? The Thriller time is listed as only 4 hours vs. the 7 1/2 for Shark Ray. Thanks so much for any information. We will be on the Norwegian Sea 12/18.

• 2 weeks later...
I have no direct experience yet but most Shark Ray Alley tours do not have time to go to Ambergris before and after - it's quite far from the boat even though you do save time bookiing with the cruise line so you get picked up and dropped off at the ship.

Ambergris is quite far actually - most locals fly from Belize City to the Ambergris airstrip, a 15-20 min. flight.

I and most would recommend against going on your own - you risk not making it back to the ship on time and this is a port with higher risk since you have to tender a long ways in to the city. Unfortunately, there's some shopping at the pier but the cruise lines recommend against walking Belize City on your own.

Thanks for the info. NcL shore excursion tender for Shark Ray Alley and Town leaves ship at 7:40. Even if it takes an hour or two to get to Ambergris, I figure we would get a couple of hours in Ambergris...depart at 2:30...??? I guess I will just wait until we get on ship and pick the brain of shore excursion desk. Thanks again.

I took the Carnival tour of shark-ray alley in July, 2004. It was great. Usually we do the independent tours, but we knew that this tour was 7 hours so decided it could only be done by taking a ships tour. The tour operator picked us up at the ship (very convenient). THe boat was a nice size. Our group was small, about 10 people I think. I enjoyed the high speed ride for a half an hour to an island to pick up bait. Then another 15 min ride to shark-ray area. They threw out the bait and in a few minutes there were LOTS of big nurse sharks at our boatside. Ten minutes later I put on my snorkel gear and, with some hesitation, jumped in. I looked around and I could see a few sharks in the distance. saw an enormous ray. It was quite an experience. Our guide then had us follow him around the reef. It was in water about 8-10 ft deep. Pretty nice area. Lots of corals and fishes. THen back in the boat for a 15 min ride to Ambergris cay and San Pedro. We pulled in at a great spot and had about the best lunch I ever had in my life in about the most incredible place. A restaurant/bar at the end of a pier. Then we walked into the village. I loved it. Very hot though. The water around the island is very shallow and you can see the waves breaking on the reef not too far out. Very picturesque. Town is full of little bars and shops that are just a pile of wood with a roof. Dirt road through the center of San Pedro. Our guide gave us the option of less time in San Pedro and a (unscheduled) stop at Cay Caulker. We all wanted to stop there. It was a great place. The boat pulled in at a tiny, carib watering hole with people swimming just beyond it. I took a swim myself and had a beer. Then a walk along the road/path paralleling the beach. It was great. We had a nice long boat ride back to the ship and got there in plenty of time. I can't recommend this trip enough. Hope this helps someone.

Archived