boat drill

jima53

from the Inspiration...out of Tampa. I was surprised at the drill, having sailed with NCL previously. We were asked to gather at our muster location in the Paris Lounge - several hundred people were there. We had to wear the life jackets - but that was about all the instruction we received. On NCL, we actually gathered on the deck where the lifeboats would be lowered from; with the group of people that were assigned to that boat.

Celebration does it's boat drill shortly after you clear the outer bouy from JAX. Your cabin will have specific info on where your muster station is and how to get there from your stateroom. There is also info on how to wear the vest. When instructed you will take your life vest and go to the appointed muster station, one of the larger meeting area's such as a lounge or other area. Once there you will put on your life vest and a staff member will check it to make sure you know how to put it on. You will also receive info on what to do if you have special needs or travel with children.

Not sure if this happens on all cruises but on ours the coast guard did an on board test of the crew and they were required to launch all the starbord life boats. The staff who were not part of the boat crew served as guest, while the real guest watched on. Was very interesting and demonstrated how well trained the ships crew is.

Celebrity's Galaxy . . . with life vest on, we went to our muster station . . . where, in case of an emergency, we would be loaded into the boats that were over our heads on the deck. Instructions were detailed and lasted about fifteen minutes.

Procedure is as follows...they announce the drill over the intercom..then you put on the very snug lifevests...you then file out orderly to your muster station, now on the Inspiration...we went to the Paris lounge, listen to what the cruise director was saying about safety procedures and how to get into the lifeboats the proper way..the whole routine maybe lasted at least 20 minutes.

At first I was going to just ignore the muster drill...but I have heard that they have a list of all guests in each stateroom, and they check, unless I'am mistaken,and they do not care if you do not attend the drill.

Archived