Wouldn't it be nice...

Cruising Aussie Mum

While I know that no one can actually give an answer to this, I am just wondering whether or not anyone thinks it is likely that some of the other mainstream family lines will follow Disney's example and offer free or $99 cruises for kids travelling with their parents. Just speculating and hoping, any thoughts?:confused:

They do already. ;)

But you have to decide if you want it.

MSC and Costa have kids sail free programs - the reviews aren't exactly fabulous though.

Disney had that one $99 program - but the 1st/2nd person in the cabin (mom/dad) was more than the 1st/2nd on other cruiselines...so it negated the price savings.

Royal Caribbean had a few $99 sales...haven't seen them in a while.

On Carnival, the 1st/2nd person (aka the adults) in the cabin has been as low as $129. :eek: So when you factor the overall price of 4 people in the cabin, it's still less than Disney. And actually, I've done cruise on Carnival that were less for four people than the price I paid for one person on Disney. :)

But you are an Aussie mom - which means that you probably don't have access to the really cheap cruise options that we have here????

Thanks everyone! I do live in Australia, but am originally from the USA - so we get back there regularly, and that is when we cruise.

I have noticed that a few lines have the kids cheap or free deals happening, and am curious as to whether this might be copied by many of the other lines. Specifically, I am hoping that RCI will do something like this as we had a wonderful time on Liberty of the Seas in April. Looking now at the Mariner for January - already good prices for the 1st and 2nd person, but hoping to do better with the 2 kids.:)

My mother was on MSC and spoke very highly of it but she went on a 21 day cruise, which means fewer passengers and no children. I think the problem with both Costa and MSC is more in Europe. When they offer the kids cruise free cruises- you get novice Italian cruisers and their extended families. This makes for overcrowding and unfortunately I have read that the kids run wild. Also, then there are fewer English speaking kids for yours to play with.

However, I'd be willing to give MSC and Costa in the Caribbean. I did sail Costa with my then 9 year old son in 1997 and we had a good time. Not my favorite cruise line but it was fun.

Aussie Mum, I think it is worth pricing individual cruises for your family and comparing costs. I have been looking at cruises for April 2010 for 2 adults and 2 children. There are an amazing variety of prices for 2nd and 3rd cruisers.

From my research I found the following:

On one online TA the cost for 2nd and 3rd cruisers on a 7 day NCL cruise out of Los Angeles was only about $105 (plus taxes and port fees). The 7 day NCL cruises out of Florida seem to charge a lot more for the 2nd and 3rd cruisers. I saw prices of over $500 for the 2nd and 3rd in a cabin. Carnival and Princess charge more for the 2nd and 3rd in a cabin. Of course you need to take into account the costs for the 1st and 2nd in the cabin!

Archived