Our first cruise...

wobblybob74

Hello there one and all!

We've never cruised before but are seriously thinking about a Princess Cruise aboard Grand Princess around the Med next June for our honeymoon. We've been told by our travel agent that there's a very good chance of some fairly spectacular discounts when the new (2010/11) brochure comes out at the start of March? Is that true?

Also, my wonderful fiancee is a little concerned about taking a cabin with a window as she thinks that she'll be sick looking at the ocean. To be fair though, I'm not the greatest sailor myself and have felt dog-rough on the Isle of Man ferry before now so we're both a little worried about how well the stabilisers work on a ship such as this.

Basically folks, we know absolutely nothing about cruising and Princess Cruises so we'd very much appreciate any hints and tips, especially from people who spent their honeymoon on board the Grand Princess on the 14-day Med cruises from Southampton.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thanks in advance of your help.

Cheers!

Rob and Sue

Can't comment on a honeymoon cruise, but there are some great deals, even for 2009. We just booked our Med. Cruise for August, while on onboard the Emerald. With onboard credits (mind you, they're running a double OBC special for booking on board, so our $250 OBC is now $500). We're basically taking a 12 day cruise from Rome to Venice, via Greece and Turkey, for $2500 US for BOTH OF US. That's about what we just paid for our 10 day Eastern Carib. cruise we just left.

I would never recommend and interior cabin. It gets very old not having ambient light. Also, Med. Cruises are port intensive, almost a different port each day, so there's more to look at than just the water.

Good luck!

Sorry, can't comment either on the honeymoon thing............but as far as first cruise goes and sea sickness, we had the same thoughts before our 1st cruise. We also had an inside cabin. Not on the Grand but nevertheless, we had a tip about leaving the tv switched onto the bridge cam channel whilst asleep. Turn the sound right down and when you wake up just check out the tv. If it's daylight then your body reacts as if you were waking up normally.

The seasickness never occured. If you do feel a littel ropey, keep an eye on the horizon and you become acustomed to the rise and fall sensation.

It works for us......hope you enjoy your cruise. Believe me, once you've done the first, you will be back for more.

Pete.

Quite honestly, I would not count on discount prices when they first open the bookings for the 2010 European season. I would think it would make more business sense for Princess to start with their normal pricing and then discount the pricing later on if the ships do not fill as expected.

As far as the Grand Princess goes, if you are prone to motion sickness I would suggest a cabin on a lower deck and/or midship. Also, be forewarned, the Mediterranean itinerary that the Grand is doing this year is roundtrip from Southampton. While this is much easier for arranging flights than a cruise that starts in one port and ends in another, this itinerary involves crossing the Bay of Biscay on the way to and the way back from the Mediterranean. The Bay of Biscay can get quite rough. I did this itinerary two years ago on the Sea Princess and spent the entire first day (at sea) in bed due to the rough seas crossing the Bay of Biscay. I spoke with the Captain later in the cruise and he said that there is about a 50% chance of encountering rough seas while in the Bay of Biscay. Luckily, it was sooth sailing through there on our way back.

At this point you will not get any feedback from anyone who spent their honeymoon onboard the Grand Princess doing this 14 day Mediterranean cruise as this is the first year the Grand will be doing this itinerary. It has been done by the Sea Princess for at least the past three years and the Grand has done other itineraries in Europe during that time. Like I said, I have done this itinerary on the Sea Princess and I have also sailed the Grand Princess in Europe, just not at the same time. The Grand is a fine ship and I enjoyed my two cruises on her last summer.

Hello there one and all!

We've never cruised before but are seriously thinking about a Princess Cruise aboard Grand Princess around the Med next June for our honeymoon. We've been told by our travel agent that there's a very good chance of some fairly spectacular discounts when the new (2010/11) brochure comes out at the start of March? Is that true?

Also, my wonderful fiancee is a little concerned about taking a cabin with a window as she thinks that she'll be sick looking at the ocean. To be fair though, I'm not the greatest sailor myself and have felt dog-rough on the Isle of Man ferry before now so we're both a little worried about how well the stabilisers work on a ship such as this.

Basically folks, we know absolutely nothing about cruising and Princess Cruises so we'd very much appreciate any hints and tips, especially from people who spent their honeymoon on board the Grand Princess on the 14-day Med cruises from Southampton.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thanks in advance of your help.

Cheers!

Rob and Sue

We have had inside cabins on much smaller ships than Grand Princess and they were fine. Just make sure you take a clock with you so that you can tell what the time is as those cabins are very dark. We did tend to wake up later than we would have wished. You can always leave the bathroom light on so that you get a little bit of light in the cabin. We now always book a balcony if possible but we did go back to an inside last year and both agreed that we would not do it again after having so many balcony cabins. Our next plan is to move up to mini-suite level:D

As to seasickness, these great big ships are very stable but it might be a good idea to go for a cabin on a lower deck and in the midships area. I honestly don't think you will have a problem. We sailed through the Tasman Sea on Sapphire Princess a couple of years ago and the seas were absolutely huge and smashing into the windows on the restaurant deck (either Fiesta or Plaza - can't recall now) with such force that I thought the glass would give way - It didn't of course but it was a pretty hairy crossing - did not get much sleep that night as I wanted to be awake in case we had to hotfoot it to our muster point:eek:

Meant to add that we have sailed from and to Southampton on a couple of occasions and had no problems with the Bay of Biscay. However, we have had some very rough seas actually in the Med. Just make sure you take some travel sickness pills with you - you often feel worse with a slight swell than with some of the really rough seas. However, it will be nothing like the Isle of Man ferry:D

We were on the Grand for the transatlantic repositioning cruise to the Med in April 08, and she is a great ship. We were celebrating our 42nd anniversary.

As others have said, looking at the horizon helps maintain a sense of stability, so I would think a cabin with a window would be best. Looking down at the water can make you feel queasy, but looking straight out to the horizon can make you feel better. A lower deck and midships will be the best bet for you, no matter which category cabin you choose.

Be sure to take seasickness rememdies - there are lots of threads on this site about them. Most people say it helps to start taking bonine or meclizine a couple of nights prior to boarding the ship. Also ginger tablets or candy or ginger ale soda can be soothing. And the pressure-point wrist bands are handy to have.

We always book a balcony cabin and take our seasickness kit, but have never really been seasick. I think the kit brings us luck :p

You will enjoy the Grand and Princess cruise lines. Have a wonderful honeymoon cruise!!:)

Here is something else to consider - - if your honeymoon will be the first time you two live together, you may find the lack of privacy in an inside cabin to be just a little unnerving. I'd go for a mini-suite if you can swing it.

Archived