Cabo San Lucas Mexico

Emigrant

For this resort did you have to make reservations or were you able to get a day pass. It looks really beautiful and I was wanting more info. Thanks

we visit lots of resorts in the ports and never get a day pass; as we usually just pass thru on our way to see more. If you google this resort, they likely have contact info, and you can ask them about a day pass. There are many beautiful resorts in Cabo. This one has the most impressive photo opp

I did google the Finisterra resort and found their information. I am interested in a day pass, as I want somewhere to land, not just pass through. I found a phone number , but no e-mail. I would prefer to e-mail at this point for day pass information. Maybe someone else knows what it is?:confused:

http://www.finisterra.com/htdocs/index.html

You're going to be in Cabo during a Spring Break period (it's my daughter's college break time) ... so you might need to plan on it being more busy/crazy than usual, probably need to plan to book ahead.

We were there last December and were able to just walk to the end of the pier, pd about $40/pp to parasail and were taken right out to the parasailing boat. We didn't have much time in port (about 1/2 a day), so then we just walked around the marina area and stopped for beers, chips & salsa. Parasailing was fun and relaxing, we went w/ SkyKing.

Something I would like to do if we go back again is snorkeling at either Cheleno Bay or Bahia Santa Maria (a sanctuary). It is possible to take a public bus to both these places for a matter of a few dollars if you want to be more daring and pack along your own snorkeling gear.

Oh yeah, Lover's Beach is tiny and I hear horrible/unsafe for swimming or snorkeling because there are so many water taxis coming/going. You can see it from where the ship anchor.

Here's more Cabo info from my notes/research:

CABO

Faro Viejo Located in Cabo Falso, 19 kilometers from Cabo San Lucas, this monument was built in 1890. It towers 150 meters (500 feet) high, and the only way to arrive there is on horseback or in an off-road vehicle.

Not much more than a base remains of this lighthouse, built in 1890, but the view is spectacular from 500 feet above the water. In addition to the lighthouse it also has the remains of a shipwreck below. Turtles use this beach to lay their eggs. To get there, go north of town on Highway 19; at Km 2, take a left turn on the dirt road that leads to Cabo Falso

Faro Viejo. Located in Cabo Falso, 19 kilometers (12 miles) from Cabo San Lucas, this old lighthouse was built in 1890. You can arrive there on horseback or in an off-road vehicle. For those who enjoy adventure sports, the main attraction is getting there, as it requires you to cross some spectacular dunes.

BEACHES

I (someone on tripadvisor) was just in cabo oct 1-28th and will be returning nov 25-dec 17. i have parasailed with jt....but we did a time share presentation so it was "free". as far as the walk to lovers/divorce beach....you have to walk from the tender drop off past cabo dolphins tank and through the playa grande resort to the pacific side. then you have to head south through and over the rocks.. its not that hard. might take you 15 mins....but i did it with a gym bag around my shoulders and a small beer cooler...alone. if thats not our thing...just get a water taxi for $10 pp to take you on a tour of the arch, sea lions or pics...then drop off and pick up whenever u want (2 hrs etc) at lovers beach...just follow the other snorklers or the fish.... try to bring tortillas for 'bait" or ask the glass bottom boat guys.. they have many. if that fails.....walk up lovers beach to the local guys selling beer under the lone umbrella...they have tortillas real cheap. ill be there that day.. my last day in cabo this next trip.... good luck!

BEACHES

Los Cabos has excellent beaches lining the final 80-kilometer (50 miles) stretch of the peninsula. Thanks to their unparalleled beauty, the beaches of Los Cabos are one of the main attractions of this destination. Quiet and with their own unique characteristics, they are excellent places to do water sports, and if you don?t have the necessary equipment and gear, most beaches offer rentals.

Palmilla Located at 27.5 Km on Route 1 in San Jose del Cabo, this white-sand beach is very popular and recommendable for family outings, as it offers recreation facilities. Here you can do some scuba diving, snorkeling, and the waters are excellent for fishing.

El Chileno Located at Km 14.5 on the Corredor Turistico between San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas, this popular beach has calm waters and plenty of palm trees if you want to relax in the shade. This beach is known for its crystalline, calm waters, ideal for swimming and snorkeling activities. To make your visit more pleasant, El Chileno also has showers.

El Arco Located on the southernmost tip of the Baja California Peninsula in Cabo San Lucas. This is a place where the waters of the Pacific Ocean and the Sea of Cortez meet. At this location, there is an arch-shaped rock formation that has become the symbol of Los Cabos. You can arrive there by boat in 20 minutes. It is fairly common to spot seals, sea lions, pelicans and other bird species at this place, which is an ideal spot for fishing, scuba diving and snorkeling. You can also visit the famous Old Lighthouse, a monument that is more than 100 years old.

Cascadas de Arena Located near El Arco, which is about 20 minutes from Cabo San Lucas. Here you can witness an amazing natural phenomenon, cascades that were created by tectonic plate movement. You can observe this natural wonder 30 meters (100 feet) under water. You?ll will find much diversity in these waters, which is why it has become a preferred spot for advanced divers. If you decide to go diving in this area, it is recommendable that you do it with an experienced guide.

Playa del Amor This beach is hidden behind the famous Arco in Cabo San Lucas. To arrive there you?ll need to take a water taxi that departs from the marina or El Medano Beach. This romantic spot, which can only be seen every four years when the tide recedes, offers a view of the Pacific Ocean and the Sea of Cortez. This place has become a popular romantic getaway, as it gives you all the privacy you need. The waters are ideal for sailing, snorkeling, kayaking and other water sports.

El Medano Located in the middle of the Cabo San Lucas Bay near Marina Sol, it is one of the most popular beaches in Los Cabos. Here you can kick back and listen to some music while enjoying some delicious food or sipping on a refreshing drink. Later, you can go swimming, boating, fishing, water-skiing, snorkeling, kayaking or surfing. A safe and quiet place for the entire family.

Acapulquito Located at Km 28 on the main highway of San Jose del Cabo, this beach has fine sand and crystalline waters. Has strong surf, so be careful when swimming. It is an ideal surfing location

SCUBA DIVING

The diving experience in Los Cabos is nothing less than extraordinary for experts, beginners, and snorkelers alike. Just some of the sights you can marvel at are the black coral reefs, schools of colorful fish, underwater canyons, sea fans, cascades, a sunken ship, marine turtles, manta rays, whale sharks, and sea lions. Scuba divers from all over the world descend on Cabo Pulmo, which has the only living coral reef in western North America. More than 350 species of fish live there.

Roca del Pelicano. A 20-minute boat ride from Cabo San Lucas, Pelican Rock overlooks the waters where the Pacific Ocean meets the Sea of Cortez. The deep waters near the natural monument, are full of tropical fish which inhabit the impressive coral reefs, offer excellent scuba diving.

Punta Gorda. Lies 5 kilometers (3 miles) from San Jose del Cabo, in front of Punta Palmilla. It is a nearly uninhabited beach with strong surf, so be careful if you wish to take a swim. There you can do some scuba diving and observe a wide variety of fish species as they swim around in a habitat with beautiful white sand and countless rock formations that take new shapes as time moves on.

El Arco. Located on the southernmost tip of the Baja California Peninsula in Cabo San Lucas. This is a place where the waters of the Pacific Ocean and the Sea of Cortez meet. At this location, there is an arch-shaped rock formation that has become the symbol of Los Cabos. You can arrive there by boat in 20 minutes. Sea lions, seals and a wide variety of colorful fish swim in these waters, making it the ideal spot for scuba diving.

Cascadas de Arena. Located near El Arco, which is about 20 minutes from Cabo San Lucas. Here you can witness an amazing natural phenomenon, cascades that were created by tectonic plate movement. You can observe this natural wonder 30 meters (100 feet) under water. A recommendable place to scuba dive where you can observe beautiful coral formations, sea lions and hammerhead sharks. A diving spot that presents a challenge even for advanced divers.

Parque Nacional Marino Cabo Plumo. Located on the East Cape, slightly more than 60 kilometers from San Jose del Cabo, this biosphere reserve has 7,111 hectares (17,564 acres). It also has the only living coral reef in western North America. An ideal place to scuba dive which offers various locations: El Islote, Brazos del Arrecife, Los Cantiles and El Bajo. At El Bajo, you can live the experience of night diving as you look for the sunken ship El Colima. This reserve is comprised of four finger reefs that run parallel to the bayshore. The reef is an estimated 25,000 years old. You can also do snorkeling in these waters, where you can find more than 350 fish species, more than 10 rocky coral reefs, many invertebrates, seaweed varieties and marine species such as whales, dolphins, sea lions, manta rays and huge whale sharks.

El Chileno. Located at Km 14.5 on the Corredor Turistico between San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas, this popular beach has calm waters and plenty of palm trees if you want to relax in the shade. Thanks to its clear, calm and shallow waters, it is the perfect spot to scuba dive and snorkel, and a good place to take the whole family.

Boca de la Vinorama. Its crystalline waters allow you to see a wide variety of tropical fish.

Playa del Amor. A favorite among snorkeling enthusiasts where from the waters surface you can see the wide variety of marine life that lives below.

El Medano. Located in the middle of the Cabo San Lucas Bay near Marina Sol, it is one of the most popular beaches in Los Cabos. A good place for both children and adults to enjoy snorkeling thanks to its fairly calm waters.

Costa Azul. Located at Km 29 on the main highway of San Jose del Cabo, this long beach is known for its fine sand. Offers rental services for water sports. You can go snorkeling in its crystalline waters and see a wide array of beautiful tropical fish.

Barco Varado o del Naufrago. Located at Km 9 on the main highway of San Jose del Cabo. There lie s the remains of a Japanese boat that ran around in 1964. The waters can get rough so be careful. It is a popular place for snorkeling since you can see marine life that is brought in by the tide and gets trapped in the rock formations.

OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES

In Los Cabos you can hike in impressive canyons and estuaries where you can see a wide array of flora and fauna. You can also mount a horse or an all-terrain vehicle and ride along the beach or across dunes. In mountain zones, with a breathtaking view of the ocean and the desert, you can find many rock formations for rappelling. In all of these places, you?ll find guides and tour agencies offering professional services.

El Medano ? Located in the middle of the Cabo San Lucas Bay near Marina Sol, it is one of the most popular beaches in Los Cabos. This place is safe, quiet and ideal for enjoying the water, for adults and children alike. You can go on a horseback ride or simply walk as you admire the Arco monument.

Estero de San Jose de Cabo A protected area in the heart of San Jose del Cabo which is 992 kilometers (615 miles) south of Guerrero Negro along the Transpeninsular Highway. This tropical sanctuary is home to more than 150 bird species. Offers many options for hiking and enjoying the wildlife of this natural paradise.

Bahia Magdalena Located on the western coast of Baja California Sur and north of Almejas Bay. You can arrive there by departing from Puerto San Carlos or Puerto Adofo Lopez Mateos. It is a nature reserve and breeding ground for gray whales, which arrive there between January and March to produce offspring. Has strong surf and is 60 kilometers (37 miles) long. It is often referred to as the gateway to the Pacific. Here you can take a walk across white-sand dunes and sandbars or meander through a maze of mangroves in the middle of the desert.

Star Princess comes into Cabo San Lucas Mexico Tuesday 14th April arrives 8am departs 5pm what is the best tour to go on? All advice thankfully recieved? What Cost?

Thank You

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

We are on the first part of your cruise. I have been to Cabo many times. There really isn't that much to see. Most people go to a resort for the day. One fun thing to do is right at the port. There is a company collecting money to build an animal refuge. They have baby Lions, Tigers, or Jaguar's . On three different trips, I was able to hold the one month old babies. If you are an animal lover, or even not, this is a real thrill. They ask for a donation of $20.00 for the picture they take, and they will take your camera and take more pictures if you like. If you are interested, I will have my pictures on the first part of your cruise.

As I said, most of the passengers go to resorts...some have appointments for massages, etc. If you have any more questions, you have my email.

Ellen

bobnsofi, your posts are great, love your pics and maps. The pic below does not look like Cabo to me. Where is it? The scooter trip looks like great fun. Please tell more about it. Thanks!

cabo is a favorite cruise destination port with outrageous resorts. It's weather is dry and hot in april. with those facts in mind, we suggest that you do whatever interests you in a tour

IMG_1149.jpg

Hi Kathy,

We are on the first part of your cruise. I have been to Cabo many times. There really isn't that much to see. Most people go to a resort for the day. One fun thing to do is right at the port. There is a company collecting money to build an animal refuge. They have baby Lions, Tigers, or Jaguar's . On three different trips, I was able to hold the one month old babies. If you are an animal lover, or even not, this is a real thrill. They ask for a donation of $20.00 for the picture they take, and they will take your camera and take more pictures if you like. If you are interested, I will have my pictures on the first part of your cruise.

As I said, most of the passengers go to resorts...some have appointments for massages, etc. If you have any more questions, you have my email.

Ellen

You need to read this link about the Lion Cubs. They are not raising money for an animal refuge. Do you really think that if they were that concerned about an animals welfare, they would keep it in a cage for the tourists. Sorry, but a little common sense goes a long ways sometimes. Everything is not always as it seems. It would be pretty foolish for them to hold out a sign that say's "Pay $20, pet the lion cub, support my drug habit".

Here is the link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=925783

I've been doing some research on day passes in Cabo. I emailed the Riu Palace and they responded that they offer day passes for $100 pp. This looks like a beautiful resort to spend the day at. Anyone been there and can comment on it?

I believe the RIU Palace is an "all inclusive" place so I am not sure what quality you will get as far as the food and drinks go. Are you doing this for access to a swimming pool. RIU Palace is a bit of a haul from the main part of Medano Beach. It's walkable but it's still a haul.

If you don't need the swimming pool, the beach bar's at Medano Beach will provide you with most everything you need for less than $100 per person. Unless you are going to really be drinking ALOT.

Here is a map showing where RIU Palace is;

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=22.8893611&lon=-109.9072051&z=16&l=0&m=a&v=2

I've centered the map so that the Palace is in the upper right hand corner. Medano Beach is in the lower center, tender pier - absolute bottom center.

You can click, hover, drag, & zoom all you want with this map.

Hello out there! My husband and I will be traveling on Mariner of The Seas on April 12th and will be in Cabo on April 14th. It will be our first time in Cabo and we would love some suggesstions on what you MUST do while in cabo (besides the arches). We like to see new things but also don't want to spend a ton of money. Hopefully someone out there can help us!!

Katherine

We are going on the Mariner of the Seas this Sunday, March 1, and want to know about the temperatures to expect around this time of the year, would like to know a bit more about the ARCH in Mazatlan, and how to get there from the ship, and a recommendation of the name of a hotel that allows day :)visitors.

We always walk to Solimar Beach via the lobby of the Hotel Solimar, and go south to the end of the beach for a little sunning. On one visit a Mexican father and son asked us if we wanted to be shown how to go the Honeymoon Beach. I always thought that one could get there if you don't mind a little bit of "boulder hopping." We politely declined, but they continued on over the rocks. I later climbed to the top of the "first bit of rocks," which revealed that it would take another bit of boulder hopping to actually get to that beach. At any rate, we usually go back to the Hotel Solimar for a couple of fish tacos and a beer before returning back to the ship. To get to Solimar Beach, just go towards the Pacific Ocean off of the cruise dock (it's only about 1/4 mile).

You'll see one or more of "Los Arcos" from the cruise ship as you arrive or leave Cabo.

You need to read this link about the Lion Cubs. They are not raising money for an animal refuge. Do you really think that if they were that concerned about an animals welfare, they would keep it in a cage for the tourists. Sorry, but a little common sense goes a long ways sometimes. Everything is not always as it seems. It would be pretty foolish for them to hold out a sign that say's "Pay $20, pet the lion cub, support my drug habit".

Here is the link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=925783

After my first visit to Cabo, I did contact the Cabo Humaine Society. They advised me that they were aware of the situation, but they were too busy with the overpopulation of dogs to check into it. I contacted them again, and they advised me that Mexican laws are nonexitent when it comes to animals. I then contacted PETA to see if they knew anything. They advised me that they didn't know anything about it.Using common sense, I felt that there was something not quite right about this situation. I am far from naive!!

As for the cages you mentioned. They are not in cages. They are in a pen (no roof) with some space to walk around and play. They are also well fed with Royal Canin milk. I know, because I fed the lion. The first time, the Jaguar seemed to be drugged, but the Tiger and the Lion did not appear to be. Everytime I was there, I was told the same exact story. That, of course, doesn't mean that she might be lying. When nobody was around, I saw the women in the booth hugging and kissing the lion. She seems to truly love animals.

You might want to use some common sense and realize that people do check things out. From everyone that I contacted at that time (2 Years ago), they did not express any concern. If you want to believe everything you read, go ahead. It might be true, but, I say the jury is still out.

As for me, I am an animal lover who volunteers every week at a no-kill animal shelter and the last one who would want to see ANY ANIMAL abused.

Ellen

We are going on the Mariner of the Seas this Sunday, March 1, and want to know about the temperatures to expect around this time of the year, would like to know a bit more about the ARCH in Mazatlan, and how to get there from the ship, and a recommendation of the name of a hotel that allows day :)visitors.

We will also be on the march 1 sailing. Here is some info I found from the Mariner board

"I did a quick check of the 10 day weather forecast on Weather.com. It looks like great weather for each port. Cabo (Wednesday 3/4) 85 high, 62 low, sunny, 10% chance of rain. Mazatlan(Thursday 3/5) 84 high, 56 low, partly cloudy, 1% chance of rain. Puerto Vallarta (3/6) 83 high, 65 low, zero chance of rain. (But, I note that the prior day, there is late day thunder showers. Which may mean that there could be rain the evening between mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta.

I thought the M&M group could find this helpful."

Gary

We are doing the dolphin encounter in Cabo and parasailing. The dolphin encouter runs $76 for adults thru cabodolphins.com and the parasailing (we're doing a tandem sail) is $65 for both people thru cabosanlucastours.net.

Have a great time!

Archived