Earthquake in Carribean Today

rogerdm

I just got back from sailing on the Constellation Saturday and read today on CNN that an earthquate hit the Islands of Dominica. The northern part of the island was without power as it knocked out a transformer. Dominica is a beautiful place much like the lush tropical islands you read about. The weather on the 7 day trip was very warm and humid for me and cloudy on most of the islands. Dominica gets 365" of rainfall per year and I guess mudslides are going on there now because of the rain and the earthquake. The airport was closed. I heard from someone at the docks that one of the cruiselines is stopping in Grenada even though much is covered with tarp. The children have been sent to neighboring islands to go to school. It will be interesting to hear what people have to say when the Constellation goes back next month. My butler, Pras, was fantastic. I was in RS 6142. The only problem I had was that an excursion, that I did not authorize or go on was billed to my account. It was later cleared up. Make sure you check the charges every day on your television. I will write a review later. I would be glad to answer any questions.

I heard from someone at the docks that one of the cruiselines is stopping in Grenada even though much is covered with tarp.
More than one.

The children have been sent to neighboring islands to go to school.
A few have. Most schools are open and holding classes in what facilities are available.

It will be interesting to hear what people have to say when the Constellation goes back next month.
Several people have already mentioned their visits on these forums. Most didn't find it too bad, although I'm sure that many people would prefer to go eslewhere.

Do you have any official news regarding the Constellation returning? My g/f works on board and the last news she got was that they would return in Jan depending on the amount of progress we've made in cleaning up.

That is not for sure though, but at this point with several lines returning - including Princess and NCL - I think it's likely.

Next month is December though, and as far as I know, they will continue with the substitution of Dominica.

Regarding the earthquake, it apparently wasn't too bad. No one was killed and the damage reports I've read don't seem too severe.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041121/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/caribbean_earthquake_2

Archived