food and drink

squibs

:confused: hey there, i was told by my doctor not to eat nor drink off the ship, only eat and drink on the ship... what does everyone else think????

hi squibs, i have seen pax eating lobsters at mystery island and champange bay and as far as i know no one was sick

rkmw

:confused: hey there, i was told by my doctor not to eat nor drink off the ship, only eat and drink on the ship... what does everyone else think????

Depends where you are going. We are usually very cautious but food in the Pacific Islands and NZ would be OK. We always take our own water from the ship, but if you buy canned or bottled drinks they would be totally safe. :)

Evon.

within reason you are safe to eat off the ship. Avoid salads and soft drinks with ice. If you do have something make sure it has been cooked properly. We have been to many different places including some very primitive places and have never had any problems but we don't eat things that could be dodgy. :) mummsie

We were told the same information before our 1st cruise in 1993.

Only to eat or drink packaged food not anything that has to be prepared by people....

Must admit we still tend to go by this advice, and eat all our meals on the ship.:rolleyes:

I have heard of lots of passengers going to restaurants, and eating lobster on small islands and have not heard of anyone getting sick....:o

Hi Squibs,

If you are concerned, why not get a Hep A shot. You have plenty of time as the initial injection (about $70) has a 6 month gap before the booster (also $70).With the booster it will cover you for 10 years. It's very useful if travelling to Thailand, Bali etc. later on.

That said, it may be easier and cheaper to eat where you know the food is hygenically prepared.

Happy cruise planning...

Anna

Oh dear, you will miss out on a lot of fabulous experiences and foods.

Basic safety, yes dont drink the water, bottled water everywhere as your system may not take to the local water but for other things.

Avoid Salads could have been washed in water

Likewise ice in drinks

Any fruit that you peel yourself is fine think things like bananas and oranges, apples you peel yourself.

Any food that is throughly cooked immediately before you eat it is OK.

Wash hands with soap or use sanitiser before eating anything.

Common sense will see you through, in 40 years of travelling I have only got the dreaded "bellybug" once that was in a 4 star hotel in Hong Kong...brushed my teeth in running water from the tap:eek:

Dont be too afraid, take it easy and you will be fine.

Oh dear, you will miss out on a lot of fabulous experiences and foods.

Basic safety, yes dont drink the water, bottled water everywhere as your system may not take to the local water but for other things.

Avoid Salads could have been washed in water

Likewise ice in drinks

Any fruit that you peel yourself is fine think things like bananas and oranges, apples you peel yourself.

Any food that is throughly cooked immediately before you eat it is OK.

Wash hands with soap or use sanitiser before eating anything.

Common sense will see you through, in 40 years of travelling I have only got the dreaded "bellybug" once that was in a 4 star hotel in Hong Kong...brushed my teeth in running water from the tap:eek:

Dont be too afraid, take it easy and you will be fine.

Very sensible advice. :):):)

Evon.

Hi Squibs,

You should be fine. Ive been holidaying in Vila every years for the past 8 years and have never had a problem. The majority of restaurants there are very clean.

Hi Squibs,

If you are concerned, why not get a Hep A shot. You have plenty of time as the initial injection (about $70) has a 6 month gap before the booster (also $70).With the booster it will cover you for 10 years. It's very useful if travelling to Thailand, Bali etc. later on.

That said, it may be easier and cheaper to eat where you know the food is hygenically prepared.

Happy cruise planning...

Anna

This is very good advice for anyone travelling, you can never be too careful

Emma

i usually think that if i wouldnt eat something that has been left out on a table wilth flies buzzing around it at home then I wont eat it anywere else.... I have a nice photo somewhere of some prawns sitting in a plastic container on a table in Lifou i think it was... was still full just before last tender .... cant imagine why:confused:

Icy

It boils down to common sense.

Bottled and sealed water is a must ,

just watch ashore as some may try the old trick of refilling bottles,

so best to take it from the ship.

Dont eat anything that looks undercooked or suspicious.

A few years ago, one of the P&O ships had a bad outbreak of food poisoning on board,

but it was traced back to a lunch that was included in one of the shore tours.

Archived