mobile phones

squibs

Hi,

I had mobile service for about two hours before and after leaving ports, but as Mummsie said there isnt any service when you are out at sea. Depending on who your provider is you may get service for a while further out than others do.

You will have coverage now - the ships have their own mobile coverage via satellite, recently installed. Not sure how good the coverage is way out to sea, but I guess in theory if the internet is working, you'll have coverage.

There is no coverage in the showlounge though, which is good - last thing you want to hear in a show is a phone ringing!

Be warned though, it's not local coverage so you'll need to have global roaming, and of course that makes it cost more to get & receive calls.

Squibbs, as long as you have roaming on your phone, you will be fine. Cant remember exactly but it cost something like 70c per text. Lots of people have phone switched off or dont answer it if it rings and checks messages that way, as you will be the one paying call costs if someone rings you, is really handy though, even if you just use to text a bit. Fiona

Just came off the last Pac Sun cruise to NZ. Acquaintances had mobile phone coverage for the whole trip - but (I think) they had global roaming turned on in their phone. Don't know if their phone was a digital one or a NextG one - but BEWARE global roaming -- very expensive!!

Barry

Hi squibs,just back off Sun Princess (South pacific cruise) had coverage 24/7 with global roaming,they use MCP - Maritime Communications Partner on board in conjuction with your provider IE Telstra,Optus etc

Have a copy of "Keeping Your Mobile Phone Connected At Sea " brochure from Princess Cruises .I can scan and email you if required .

Johhno

As already mentioned, just about all the ships have their own on-board towers now. For the last 3 years now, all the cruises I have taken have on-board towers. Depending on your carrier it can range from $2.49 (AT&T and verizon) - $4.99 (tmobile) a minute when using the ship's tower. It will be cheaper at most ports. If using a GSM phone the screen will say "Cellular at Sea" when you are using the ship's network. And it will be turned off when you get close to each port

We just got back today - my hubby is with Telstra and put International Roaming on his phone. We had 5 bars of service nearly the entire trip. We did not actually ring anyone though, but we sent and received plenty of SMS messages - could not send photos though, until we got to Brisbane this morning.

Archived