Gibraltar shore excursion

paulista1950

We were on an Oceania cruise that stopped in Gibraltar, but we didn't take the ship's shore excursion.

I had done some reading on the Gibraltar Tourism website, and knew what I wanted to see. There is a standard 90 minute taxi tour, but a longer (3-4 hour) tour was also mentioned that took in everything I wanted to see. We negotiated with a taxi driver when we got off the ship--there were four of us, and he found another group of four to fill the van. I don't remember the price, but it was quite reasonable. We had time to walk around town, have a drink at a sidewalk cafe, and poke into some of the shops after the tour.

How long did the ship stay there? This time it'll be from 8 to 2, so I guess I'll have less than 5 hours to walk around

5 hours is plenty of time. Gibraltar is pretty small. We visited about 2 years ago on a North Africa cruise with O, and walked around on our own.

There is a small shopping/restaurant district within walking distance - I'd guess 1/4 mile from the dock entrance. During the day, it will be packed with day-trippers who come in by the busload from Spain. This is the main place to buy your souvenirs etc or have lunch.

A ways further down the street is a park and public square, where we were approached by a taxi driver who spoke decent English. He promised us the nickel tour for I think 25 Euro each (there were 2 of us).

We drove hither-and-yon on The Rock; I'd guess total driving distance was around 5 miles. The roads are very steep and some are 1 lane. We stopped a number of times, including some old fortifications, the top cablecar station, and near the top of The Rock. The Barbary Apes don't wander into town much, but they are all over the top of The Rock. They will steal hats & sunglasses if you're careless! Be "on guard" with your stuff, walking through an arch or doorway if there's one "resting" on top of it.

We also did the old British military tunnels, which have an admission fee, and were quite interesting. I'd guess the entire taxi tour, including the military tunnels, was 2 hours or so.

The parts of Gibraltar that are NOT hilly is a small enough area to be easily walkable. You can walk up to the top of The Rock, which some people did, but it's quite steep. 95% of the pax took the cablecar or drove up.

Gibraltar is very interesting and well worth a visit, but you would be bored if the ship spent more than 6 hours or so there.

I don't recall how long we were there. With the 8-2 time frame, I'd do the extended tour of the Rock, and limit the in town time, if need be. We made multiple stops: some scenic and historic overlooks, caves, tunnel tour, an open air museum, a spot where the monkeys gather, a mosque, and more I don't remember. And I'm too lazy to look through our pictures. Sorry.

Archived