Stingray City with kids?

OK2Cruise

I think you will be fine. We have taken our son twice. Once when he was about 18 months and again when he was 2 and a half. Of course he LOVES the water and can actually swim, but we still put him in a float (My First Float) with a rope tied to it (18 months) and in a life vest (2 1/2). As long as your children like the water you should be OK. Now keep in mind the water can get a little rough out there, but usually it's pretty calm and rather shallow ... depending on the tide and the weather. As for help ... that probably depends on who you are going out with, but usually the tour operators in Cayman are most helpful and should do what they can for you and your children. When our son was 18 months we had the float, but the water started to get a little rough and we were having a little trouble keeping control of the float ... so the tour operator tied a rope to the float so that it was easier for us to control. When we was 2 and a half we walked with him, but he mostly just swam around in the vest. I think my wife actually took him out of the vest for part of time we were in the water. It was quite calm that day.

Hope this helps.

Make sure you think your children will enjoy it. My nephews, age 10 and 13 went last week. The 13 year old was the first in, but the 10 year old was too scared to go in for quite a while. He did like it once he got used to the sting rays, but not everyone does.

Just got back yesterday.

Water was only 3ft deep, but waves were 2-3 ft, so do the math... :D

We had a 3 yr old boy with us and a 13 yr old girl, both were terrified... The 13 yr old really enjoyed the snorkel aftwards though.

We have been to Stingray City 4 or 5 times ... so my wife and I are having a tough time sorting out when we went with who. I know we were with Captain Dexter's when our son was 18 months. We have/had heard good and bad about him, but he was recommended by the condo manager and we had a GREAT time ... he really helped with our son ... especially with that rope. As for the time when our son was 2 and a half ... I can see the place and could drive to it if had too, but I can't think of the name. It was almost next door to the Hyatt. I think it was one of the Soto's, but there are so many of those in Cayman. I will try to see if I can remember or actually find the information and try to post it.

We went with Captain marvins, they were really great with the kids IMO. The 13 yr old girl got in the water and they were trying to show her they were harmless, but I guess since there were only about 25 people on the sandbar at that time, there were more sting rays around us than normal cause she was overwhelmed and headed straight back to the boat. One of the guides did bring one to the back of the boat and she climbed down the ladder and touched it briefly, but still wouldn't get back in...

The 3yr old ended up on his grandpas shoulders and was fine there...

I don't know either of these kids that well, they may not be the type that would enjoy something like that?

I thought the sting rays were AWESOME and had a great time! :D

We went to stingray city in May. We used Native Way and they were awsome. We had a total of 4 children onboard. 2 of them were my sons ages 11 and 7. They HAD to have life preservers on. Once we got to stingray city, my 11 year old was off and running. He had a blast. The guys with Native Way were so good. They let Ben and one of the other boys Cameron drive the boat. We have great pictures of that. My 6 year old took a little coaxing to get off the boat. But once he got off, he had so much fun he didn't want to leave. The water that day was very calm and it was only about 3 feet deep. All I can say is we had a blast and we are planning to do Stingray city again in Jan. That is the one thing both my boys want to do. I highly recommend Native Way. They were awsome.

Archived