St Thomas recommendation - not able bodied

nic624

Hi all,

I will be in St. Thomas in September for a full day. My parents will be traveling with me as well. Unfortunately my father has a difficult time getting around. He can only walk for short periods of time, and nothing too strenuous.

We already have a beach day planned for Grand Turk, and since we will be in San Juan at night, our St. Thomas stop is really the only port we have for 'exploring'.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what we can do?

Thanks,

Hi,

I was in STT last week on the Carnival Valor with my mother who is 73. We toured the island with Clover Fleming, taxi driver. Her number is (340)690-0621. She was very charming & drove us all around the island sightseeing.;)

Private Island tour might be nice. If your ship comes into Havensight has a lot to offer within walking distance and plenty of places to sit and relax. Of course it also offers a lot of shopping! Across the street is the Tramway which goes up the mountain for a beautiful view of STT and neighboring Islands. When you get to the top there are more shops and a restaurant. You can sit and relax up there. Either way there is plenty to do that is "parent" friendly when you get there. Have a great trip.

having travelled extensively with my dad in the past who was in a scooter, I would have to recommend staying away from downtown shopping area. The sidewalks are narrow and difficult to navigate. I don't recall seeing any handicapped corners either. The footing is very uneven and hard to walk on. I agree with the previous posters; this might just be a place you want to hop in a van and take a tour or roam around the Port (if you dock in Havensight, there's not much to do at Crown Bay Pier). If you want a beach day, I would recommend Emerald Beach; it's a very short walk from the hotel lobby to the beach, beach is soft even sand and the bar, restaurant and bathrooms are a short walk. It's very close to the Crown Pier. Let me know if you want more info on that or photos. Good luck; although it was difficult traveling with dad, I really miss him now that he's gone and so glad that I have those memories of our adventures.

I would not recommend Paradise Point tram ride for someone who has difficulty with mobility. There are stairs up to the tram from the street, and stairs down to the restaurant/bar/shops/view location once you reach the top of the hill, then back up again to catch the tram back down the mountainside. I didn't see any elevators. Just being overweight with poor knees, I found it rather strenuous.

• 7 months later...
I would not recommend Paradise Point tram ride for someone who has difficulty with mobility. There are stairs up to the tram from the street, and stairs down to the restaurant/bar/shops/view location once you reach the top of the hill, then back up again to catch the tram back down the mountainside. I didn't see any elevators. Just being overweight with poor knees, I found it rather strenuous.

Thank you for that tip!! I have the same problem with my knees. Were there any other tours that you would avoid, on the southern carribean itinerary? Hub wants to go on the tropical forest hike, in tortula, that sounds strenuous too, even though it says moderate. I'd appreciate your advice!

Belle

Archived