Gallows Reef vs. Goff's Caye??

amy2313

My group of 4 is on the Carnival Valor in just a couple weeks and we have been back and forth on the best snorkel tour to do during our time in Belize.

We originally wanted to go to Caye Caulker and contacted Coral Breezes but were told our specific itinerary and their tour's start time would make it touch and go on getting back to the ship in enough time. So then w've been trying to find the best alternative option with the best snorkeling to the barrier reef and with the most snorkel time.

That lead us to booking Goff's Caye through the cruiseline as the snorkeling off Goff's came recommended through cruisecritic members. However, this tour left us with the entire afternoon free since the tour brought us back to the ship by 12:30 and we are not scheduled to depart Belize until 5:00.

Long story short, we then heard about EcoTours and they have a 4 hour tour to Gallows Reef followed by 2 hours at Bannister Island. What I am trying to find out is:

1. if the snorkeling at Gallows is as good or better than the snorkeling at Goff's Caye.

2. Is Gallows Reef primarily Coral life? or Fish life? and the is Goff's more coral or fish life?

3. And last, is there snorkeling to be done directly from Bannister Island. For instance, once the reef snorkel is done and they bring us to Bannister Island, can we do more snorkeling from the shore?

Any reccommendations, opinions, suggestions... anything is much appreciated!!

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Long story short, we then heard about EcoTours and they have a 4 hour tour to Gallows Reef followed by 2 hours at Bannister Island. What I am trying to find out is:

1. if the snorkeling at Gallows is as good or better than the snorkeling at Goff's Caye.

2. Is Gallows Reef primarily Coral life? or Fish life? and the is Goff's more coral or fish life?

3. And last, is there snorkeling to be done directly from Bannister Island. For instance, once the reef snorkel is done and they bring us to Bannister Island, can we do more snorkeling from the shore?

Any reccommendations, opinions, suggestions... anything is much appreciated!!

Thanks.

Very good questions! We'd also like to do some GOOD snorkeling (live coral reef, good fish life) but wonder about time being tendered in only to catch a water taxi somewhere and be pressed for time getting back. Can you provide more info on Gallows Reef & Ecotours? I googled Bannister Reef, and while it looks like the perfect beach and beautiful water, I think this is where the cruiselines take the "beach break" excursions, so it might be slightly crowded, depending upon how many ships are in port on a given day.

Is Goff's more coral or fish life?This is the only part of your question that I can answer. Goffs Caye if you snorkle off the beach is more coral than fish. However when you are snokling off the boat there is plenty of both. I would be interested in reading the responses to the rest of your questions. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Snorkeling from Goff's Caye is fun, but it is a group thing. We did this a few weeks ago, and you can read my review Under Reviews, but this is basically the trip...You are picked up at your ship by a small boat, seats about 40, and after a 30 or so minute trip you arrive at a quaint(rickety) dock. You have the option to get off and snorkel from the island........ I will tell you what that is like, or you can stay on the boat, go out about 200 yards on the other side of the reef, and swim in to the island.

I chose to swim from the island, and so did about 30 other people. We had a "guide" who told us that we were not going to be swimming in any waters that were more than waist deep. NOT! Our guide walked in, and after we all tested our masks and snorkel equipment we got in the water and started swimming after Michael. When he wanted us to stop and look at something or for us to regroup he would hold up a life preserver. We needed a lot of regrouping. Snorkeling in a pack of 30 is not easy. Flippers flopping everywhere. I think I kicked two people, and I know I did not swim away unscathed. To escape from being constantly kicked I moved to the left of the group, and was in water way over my head. We swam out about 100 yards, and then were turned around and were herded back in. I saw fish, and I saw coral. My husband had scubad in Cozumel the day before, and he said that most of the reef in Belize at Goff's Caye was "dead".

The island itself is tiny, but two locals have managed to set up a bar and restuarant(served from a BBQ grill) and a shop selling llovely wood carvings. The excursion allowed for us to snorkel after our "group" snorkel, but it was very windy and choppy that day, so we found the sandy area and played for about an hour sifting through the sand and finding little pieces of coral . Then they loaded us back onto the boat and took us back to the ship. We went back alittle slower and went past the mangrove islands. At no time did we have to go into Belize to get a boat to take us anywhere. We spent the rest of the afternoon, as we did not get back til after one , just relaxing. Had a late lunch and relaxed by the pool.

I had a great time, but if you are an experienced snorkeler/swimmer you might be dissapointed because you are not on your own but with a group. And they work very hard at keeping that group together.

Goff's Caye is the very last island on your way back out to sea. It is very remote.

I was not impressed when we did Goff's Caye last year. As the previous poster stated the island is tiny. On the day that we went the water was fairly rough not sure if that is the norm or we were just unlucky. As it was, we were not given the option to snorkel from the boat and had to go from ashore. We also were required to stay with the group and there were way to many people, you couldn't see anything because you were trying to avoid kicking the next swimmer or being kicked yourself. I had an underwater camera and was hoping to get some cool pictures. I got a picture of one lone fish and that was it. :(

Archived