Mercury or Millenium Alaska Aug 2009?

bevansmd

I am debating between Aug. 2009 sailing in a sky suite on the Mercury round trip out of Vancouver or an aft Concierge Cabin on the Vista deck of the Millenium northbound. I have the specific Aft CC cabin on the Millenium on hold until tomorrow and had booked the Sky Suite Mercury about 2 weeks ago with a deposit.

I had thought that the airfare from Des Moines to Vancouver round trip would be cheaper than open jaw travel from/to vancouver and anchorage but not true! Airfare is about the same and the CC aft Cabin on the Millenium with added onboard credits is actually about $1400 cheaper for 2 of us. Of course I would have to add fare for railroad Seward to Anchorage and one extra hotel night in Anchorage to make flight (looking at Northbound cruise and have previously been to Denali so don't plan cruisetour).

The Millenium has more ports but gets to Hubbard Glacier early in the morning. I read another post where someone was questioning fog early in the morning. I think the Mercury visits Hubbard in the afternoon.

I am only considering Celebrity because of their no smoking policy in the cabins/balcony due to my asthma.

I'd appreciate any opinions on Aft Balcony CC on Millenium vs. Sky Suite on Mercury or differences in their itineraries. I have been spending major time over the last two weeks luking in these boards and doing numerous searches. The website keeps luring me to post so I thought I'd give it a try..."Pssst! Yes, we're talking to you! Everyone would like to meet you; why not give posting a try"?

Hi that's a hard choice! I would go for the mercury if you have a deck 12 balcony but if you do the northbound the aft balconys are hugh too but the views might not be quite good Since the aft balcony only faces aft. I would go for the northbound with more ports and nice cabin but if you have a deck 12 balcony on the mercury I would go for that. It is a hard choice!:)

we had a deck 12 CC cabin with extra large veranda last August on Mercury. IT was WONDERFUL! It was cold at Hubbard Glacier, so a morning visit might be even chillier.

The price difference is exceptional. And the T-pool on Millennium class is much bigger.

Tough choice...but either one will be great.

I have been in Sky Suites on the Mercury and in aft verandas on M-class ships. No comparison - go for the aft on Millennium.

I also strongly agree with Darren - the covered pool area is huge and Alaska can be cold and rainy.

While you won't get butler service (and really, I've never enjoyed being buttled that much in any case:rolleyes:), you will still have a nice cabin with a sitting area and a fantastic, rain-protected veranda.

Is there a reason why you can not go S on the Millie as you would go thru the Glacier at 2 pm.

I am looking at 2010 and thinking SB for that reason.

I am not big on aft cabins and in Alaska a port/starbaord view you see more at all times.

I appreciate all of your comments. I do have a sky suite on deck 12 with large balcony reserved on the port side on the Mercury. I am obligated to certain dates off of work and that is why I only looked at the northbound cruise.

I'm traveling with my 84 year old mother who gets around well but slowly with a cane. Is the smaller size of the Mercury going to be better for her?

As far as the view...obviously a split decision. I thought the aft might be better so you could see to either side but others seem to weigh in that the view is best from the side. I appreciate all of the helpful comments:D

Archived