SNUBA - What to wear?

Roadtripster

I am going SNUBA for the first time and was wondering what to wear. I am really not wanting to just wear my swimsuit as I am afraid I will get "scratched" up from the equipment. Plus, I always have to wear water shoes in the ocean and I am always cold in the water even if the water temperature is really warm.

I was thinking of getting a wetsuit/rash guards tops/bottom.

Any suggestions clothes wise or other wise? My husband will be going to.

Oh, what about the one time use water cameras? Do they do justice under water?

Thanks for your help!

I am going SNUBA for the first time and was wondering what to wear. I am really not wanting to just wear my swimsuit as I am afraid I will get "scratched" up from the equipment. Plus, I always have to wear water shoes in the ocean and I am always cold in the water even if the water temperature is really warm.

I was thinking of getting a wetsuit/rash guards tops/bottom.

It might be a good idea to get yourself a 3 mm shortie. Even if you never snuba again, you can still wear it snorkeling and it will keep you warmer.

Any suggestions clothes wise or other wise? My husband will be going too.
I'd suggest a minimum of a rash guard shirt for him if he doesn't get cold like you do. Otherwise, he should get a shortie too. That way you two will "match" and you won't feel weird.

Oh, what about the one time use water cameras? Do they do justice under water?

Definitely SKIP the camera. You will have more than enough to think about with trying to breath underwater without messing with a camera too.

Thanks for the info.

Was wondering though, do the sizes run small or close to true size?

I am assuming you wear something underneath it, so I want to make sure I get one with some extra room in it.

Don't know about a "shortie" But a rash guard is designed to be SKIN tight-tight-tight. My correct tee shirt size is mens XL, but I prefer to wear XXL. I recently purchased a XXXL rash guard, and it fits just about 1/2 way between an XL, and XXL tee shirt.

I don't have a Marines' physique, so I'd rather go with a slightly looser rash guard myself.

Thanks for the info.

Was wondering though, do the sizes run small or close to true size?

I am assuming you wear something underneath it, so I want to make sure I get one with some extra room in it.

For a wetsuit, you'd likely wear a swimsuit under it, but you don't want a loose fitting wetsuit either. It's best if you can try it on before you buy.

For a wetsuit, you'd likely wear a swimsuit under it, but you don't want a loose fitting wetsuit either. It's best if you can try it on before you buy.

So very true. Now I just have to see if I can find a local dive shop or similar around home.

Thanks for all your help. I just love this board already!!

So very true. Now I just have to see if I can find a local dive shop or similar around home.

Thanks for all your help. I just love this board already!!

Hi,

You can try some internet retailers. But a couple of things...

1) Check out the wetsuit fitting charts provided "by vendor". Not all vendors cut wetsuits the same. If there isn't one on the web, call the shop.

2) Keep in mind there are "women's" wetsuits and "men's" wetsuits for obvious reasons. Stay away from unisex suits (they don't fit either sex)

3) Make sure the vendor has a 100% free return policy in case all your efforts still gets you a wetsuit that doesn't fit.

4) Don't order it through the vendor's website. Call them and verify the size suit you want is in stock and give them your measurements again to verify you selected the right size (be honest, nothing worst than a wetsuit that's too tight).

5) I prefer "Hyperstretch"-style wetsuits. They're a little more expensive but they have stretch areas that adjust for weigh changes like the 5th day of eating on a cruise.:)

6) when you pack the suit try to fold it along the seams. Wet suits have small air bubbles in the neoprene. Smash the suit too much and the bubbles break loosing insulation.

Some sites to try: www.scubatoys.com, www.scuba.com, www.leisurepro.com, www.diversdirect.com, www.snorkelmart.com and I'm sure there's a few others.

Randall

Archived