Specialty Resturant: I want your opinion!!!

Another vote for Portofino. We've done both multiple times, and while Chops is a nice place, it doesn't have the WOW factor Portofino has. There are a number of little extras included that Chops just doesn't have - the bread with various spreads, the diversity of the menu, and desserts to die for.

Aside from the delicious food, it's much more romantic, if you want a special evening with your sweetie. That being said, we'll be having dinner there this week on the Navigator as DH and I celebrate our 43rd anniversary.

I've only been to Portofino but it was excellent.

I will be going to both in 19 days on Jewel. :)

EDIT: Heh, Actually I will be going to both when I go on the Jewel in 19 days, I won't actually be going to both in 19 days...eh, you know what i mean. ;)

Thank for the helpful responses! We were leaning towards Portifino, and I beleive that is the decision we are going to make. I am so excited! We will likely try Chops on our next cruise, or maybe splurge for both. (the reason we can only do one is because we only have one night not planned with the people we are cruising with.)

Okay, now that we have made a decision: What should we order? DH is allergic to any and all seafood, so he will probably get the filet. What is offered on the menu and what is your favorites? And one more question about dessert: Can you get more than one? I feel that I would have to try the chocolate and the tiramisu.

Great restaurant!!

Tried it on Radiance coming back from Alaska and it was wonderful. Got the seafood skewer and the food was cooked to perfection

I got the dessert sampler and wish I could have had more of each one of them as they were tasty tasty tasty

We went to Chops twice, both times l had the fillet, it was to die for. I also had crab cake starter(simply gorgeous) and a chocolate cake for sweet. I cant remember what it was called but it was divine.

The service both times was fantastic (2 young ladies) they were very attentive and even cut my husbands dinner up for him lol.

I wouldnt hesitate in going back........hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Would you base the first opinion on comparing Chops and Portofino on the same ship? As for the 2nd opinion, could you have been in the early stages of a getting a cold? Based on my one time eating at Chops on Freedom, the steaks are extremely flavorful, the exact opposite of what you say.

I remember people where I live talking about a great Chili/coney place and trying it for the first time and thinking it was flavorless, we didn't go back for years to try it again I was wrong. Turns out my cold had killed my tastebuds.[/quote

We did both on the same ship. We had wonderful service in Portofino, while the service in Chops was not very good. Our waiter publicly dressed down one of the asst waiters in full view of everyone. Everyone was shocked! As she was so interested in bad mouthing her staff, she kept forgetting our check as we wanted to see Love and Marriage show. My husband actually had to stand up and track her down to get our check. We shrugged it off as a one time event, then we ate a Portofino. The food was incredible, service was awesome. Everything was wonderful....we ate too much...ugh. We declined dessert but they insisted that we take dessert back to our cabin (which meant we had to scoot if we wanted to make the show) We ate our dessert the next morning and had plenty to share with our son.

We were very well on our trip, and as Portofino came the night after Chops, i feel confident that what we tasted was a flavor less steak. It tasted like one of those wal-mart water pumped steaks. It is entirely possible that the steaks were not of usual quality. The baked potato however was cold, and the lobster bisque was no where close to Papa Joe's in the keys. It tasted like Campbell's tomato soup. If there was lobster in that bisque....it swam away.

We won't try Chops again. I can make a better dinner than what we received for far less money or we can go to Ruth's Chris....my favorite steak chain. We are however, quite happy to return to Portofino. They made the evening very enjoyable, the food is something I would need a recipe to recreate, and it was very yummy.

I do understand that as far as service, we may have had a unique experience. That is why I kept it to the food. The food was bland, and not worth the money. Perhaps the cook was mad at the witch of a waitress....I don't know. We however suffered through tasteless food and bad service. Never again, and we did put this on our comment cards.

Thank for the helpful responses! We were leaning towards Portifino, and I beleive that is the decision we are going to make. I am so excited! We will likely try Chops on our next cruise, or maybe splurge for both. (the reason we can only do one is because we only have one night not planned with the people we are cruising with.)

Okay, now that we have made a decision: What should we order? DH is allergic to any and all seafood, so he will probably get the filet. What is offered on the menu and what is your favorites? And one more question about dessert: Can you get more than one? I feel that I would have to try the chocolate and the tiramisu.

Here you go.......Enjoy!!!!

Don't forget to add a great bottle of wine.....:)

Appetizers,Soups and Salads

INSALATA CAPRESE

Vine ripened grape tomatoes, baby bocconcini and basil pesto

CARPACCIO CON SCAGLIE DI PARMIGIANO

Thinly sliced seared beef tenderloin with bitter greens and

plum tomato julienne, lemon infused olive oil and roasted pine kernels

INSALATA DI PETTO DI ANATRA AFFUMICATA

Sliced smoked duck over arugula and field mushroom confit,

with Parmesan shaving and truffle oil drizzle

RISOTTO AI GAMBERETTI

Tiger shrimp sautéed with fresh herbs, on a bed of creamy

saffron risotto

MELANZANE RIPIENI DI RICOTTA E SPINACI ALLA PARMIGIANA

Eggplant roulades filled with ricotta and spinach,

Parmesan style

CALAMARI FRITTI ALLA LIGURE

With white balsamic-romaine dip, and a tomato, black olive

and pine nut salsa

ZUPPA DEL GIORNO

Soup of the Day

ZUPPA FREDDA DI POMODORI E PEPERONI DOLCI CON

CAPESANTE ED AVOCADO

Chilled plum tomato and sweet pimiento soup with

seared scallops and avocado

ZUPPA GRAN FARRO

Traditional Tuscan bean soup with barley pearls and garlic crostini

Salads

INSALATA DI PERE E GORGONZOLA

Mesclun greens, crumbled Gorgonzola, slices of crisp pears and

roasted candied walnuts, served with house dressing

INSALATA ALLA CESARE

Romaine lettuce with herb croutons, shaved Parmesan

and traditional dressing. Prepared à la minute.

Pasta

PENNE ALLA CAMINETTO

Penne pasta with beef ragù, plum tomatoes and garlic confit,

finished with shaved Parmesan and fresh parsley

PAPPARDELLE MANTECATE CON CREMA AL MASCARPONE,

FUNGHI ARROSTO E TIMO

Ribbon pasta with roasted mushrooms and fresh thyme

lightly tossed in a mascarpone cream sauce

SPAGHETTI DI MARE

Shrimp, bay scallops, squid and mussels in garlic-herb sauce,

tossed with spaghetti and grape tomatoes

Pietanze

MainCourses

GAMBERONI COTTI IN PADELLA AL PROFUMO DI MARE

Tiger shrimp, roasted garlic and fresh herbs, served on a bed

of grilled asparagus and baby vegetables

SALTIMBOCCA ALLA ROMANA

Thinly sliced veal wrapped with fresh sage and prosciutto,

pan-fried with porcini mushroom risotto and Marsala jus

FILETTO DI HALIBUT ALLA GRIGLIA

Grilled fillet of Atlantic halibut over a citrus, crab and shrimp risotto,

finished with salsa verde and lemon butter sauce

FILETTO DI MANZO ALLA PIASTRA

Grilled North American beef tenderloin on creamy truffle mashed potatoes,

roasted garlic and seasonal vegetables

SPIEDINO DI FRUTTI DI MARE ALLA TOSCANA

Skewer of Maine lobster, gamberoni, scallops and salmon, grilled and served with Ligurian potatoes, and sun-dried tomato beurre blanc

PETTO DI POLLO MARINATO CON ERBE DI CAMPO,

SALSA SCAPRICCIO

Herb marinated skin on chicken breast, baked crispy, accompanied

by golden shallots, baby vegetables and Scapriccio sauce

Dessert

DOLCETTI ALLA PORTOFINO

Mini indulgences of Portofino sweet delights

TORTA AL CIOCCOLATO CON PANNA MONTATA AL CAFE ESPRESSO

Flourless Chocolate Cake and semi-whipped espresso cream

TIRAMISU ALLA PORTOFINO

A luscious favorite with crushed marinated raspberries

PANNACOTTA AL PISTACCHIO

Pistachio panna cotta, with strawberry-champagne ragout

CROSTATA DI RICOTTA ALLE ALBICOCCHE

Apricot-ricotta tart, white chocolate brulee and brandied apricots

CHEESE

SCELTA DI FORMAGGI ASSORTITI

Asampling of italian cheese

I've only dined in Chops and Portofinos on the NOS and dined mostly in Portofinos. Both were excellent.

While I agree that Chops is not to be compared exactly in quality to a Mortons or Ruth Chis steak house, the food was very good and service impeccable. Only reason I couldn't eat here multiple times on one trip is there is just too much food. I Certainly think its worth the $25.

My favorite, at least on this ship,is Portofino's. While I also do not compare it food wise to the best Italian restaurants I've been to, it was very good and the staff and ambiance make it even more attractive. Just a very nice change from the chaos of the MDR. Well worth the $20 cover and look forward to dining there again.

As mentioned, if you're OK with only having the one steak choice, the filet, which is very good, in Portofino's then it might be a good choice. If you or your husband want multiple meat choices then Chops may fit the bill for the one night.

Okay...now that I've seen the menu I am absolutely drooling! :p

We have pre-booked two nights at Portofino's on our upcoming Voyager cruise and are very much looking forward to it. We haven't yet been disappointed on past specialty dining experiences (HAL, Celebrity, Carnival) and this will be our first RCI cruise. I'm sure they won't disappoint, based on the rave reviews.

Another vote for Portofino...I've eaten at Chops 2x on 2 different ships...it was a nice meal..but P just seems a notch above in service for some reason...

BB, congrats to you & Bert on 43 years...enjoy your cruise!

[quote name='lahrbrat']Okay...now that I've seen the menu I am absolutely drooling! :p

We have pre-booked two nights at Portofino's on our upcoming Voyager cruise and are very much looking forward to it. We haven't yet been disappointed on past specialty dining experiences (HAL, Celebrity, Carnival) and this will be our first RCI cruise. I'm sure they won't disappoint, based on the rave reviews.[/QUOTE]

We just did the 12 night sailing on Explorer of the Sea's, Feb. 1st to 12th......we dined at Portofino 3 nights!!!!

Enjoy!!!!!

Okay, after seeing the menu I am absolutely sure I want to eat a Portofinos! There is NO WAY I will be able to make up my mind on the food, and will be extra happy that DH is there to order so I can taste his food as well as mine!
I am so excited about this now! My only fear..... Will I ever want to venture back into the MDR???:confused::p

[B]We had awesome meals on both but on Chops you'll have a stake like in every stakehouse while on Portofino you'll have different chocies of italian and mediterranean foods:cool:[/B]

[B]MY VOTE IS FOR PORTOFINO TOO;):D[/B]

[B]Hope it helps:)[/B]

We've been to both Chops and Portifinos and love them both. If I only had one to chose from it would be Portifinos. Like other poster are saying if you are a steak love the Filet they have is fantastic and the sea food skewer for seafood lovers is out of this world. We have both booked for our cruise and to tell you the truth once you dine at both of these resturants you will have a very hard time going back to the dining room. I told my husband on the last crusie.."I think if we ever cruise again we'll budget to eat all of our meals in Portifinos and Chops" well this time we didn't budget for that but if you think about it, it would only be an additional $280-$350 for the week for 5 star food and treatment. But we decided to enjoy the MDR for 5 nights also. And spend the rest on adult beverages!:cool:

[quote name='Mokaheena']DH and I are steak lovers, but we also love Italian food. We are only able to pick ONE specialty restaurat on our sailing. So, tell me which one we should choose: Chops or Portofinos? And give me your honest opinion, if you choose Chops, is it worth the extra $5 per person and WHY???[/quote]

Chops is by far the best choice. Portofino is great too, and they have an excellent Filet Mignon you can choose. But, if i was only able to choose one I would take Chops. You will be able to choose your meat, of course. The waiter will show you all the meats on a presentation tray, raw. You will pick the cut that looks best to you. Be sure to try the pear and gorgonzola salad and don't forget the mud pie! All excellent.

If I have to pick one over the other, then my choice has to be Portofino's. We have dined at both specialty restaurants multiple times on different ships, and the steak in Portofino's has always been excellent.

Have a great cruise.

Annieeee

Archived