Specialty Resturant: I want your opinion!!!

[quote name='BillOh']What about the time spent in each? I think I remember about an hour in Chops. The idea of a 2-3 hour dinner doesn't appeal to me that much.[/QUOTE]

That was one of our complaints about Portofino. It seemed to take forever and since it was the last evening we wanted to get out and enjoy the ship.

###

[quote name='Mokaheena']DH and I are steak lovers, but we also love Italian food. We are only able to pick ONE specialty restaurat on our sailing. So, tell me which one we should choose: Chops or Portofinos? And give me your honest opinion, if you choose Chops, is it worth the extra $5 per person and WHY???[/quote]
[SIZE=3]You are on a vacation...go to both...then you will know in the future which one you should chose...think of all the money you will save in the future.:D[/SIZE]

I would vote for Portofino's. My reasoning is this: I can go to my favorite butcher and get prime steaks cut to order. I can grill it to perfection and it tastes better than the steaks that I can get in any prime steakhouse. I *love* steak, but I never spend my money in steakhouses for something that can be made better at home. It usually ends up costing MORE money to go to my butcher than a prime steakhouse, so I'm not talking about saving money either.

Now Italian food, on the other hand, is something that I can make that tastes good, but it always tastes better in a fancy restaurant. So my vote is for a place that has food that you wouldn't normally enjoy immensely at home.

[quote name='Mokaheena']DH and I are steak lovers, but we also love Italian food. We are only able to pick ONE specialty restaurat on our sailing. So, tell me which one we should choose: Chops or Portofinos? And give me your honest opinion, if you choose Chops, is it worth the extra $5 per person and WHY???[/quote]

NEITHER. I did portofinos, and the food and service were fantastic. However for the money i felt it should have been better. The food was comparable to the MDR. The service was a little better in the MDR only cuz the wait staff gets to know you and what and how you want. Like i said the food and what not was great, but not worth the extra money when the MDR was just the same.

[quote name='rummenroman']NEITHER. I did portofinos, and the food and service were fantastic. However for the money i felt it should have been better. The food was comparable to the MDR. The service was a little better in the MDR only cuz the wait staff gets to know you and what and how you want. Like i said the food and what not was great, but not worth the extra money when the MDR was just the same.[/quote]

You are the first to mention this. I was wondering if this experience was on the Serenade (the ship we will be on). I believe this is DH's worst fear, that we will spend the extra money (he is "concerned" with money... AKA CHEAP) and it will not be any better than eating in the MDR. Everyone else seems to think it is much better. Maybe you had a bad experience, or some ships speciality restaurants are better than others?

[quote name='Mokaheena']You are the first to mention this. I was wondering if this experience was on the Serenade (the ship we will be on). I believe this is DH's worst fear, that we will spend the extra money (he is "concerned" with money... AKA CHEAP) and it will not be any better than eating in the MDR. Everyone else seems to think it is much better. Maybe you had a bad experience, or some ships speciality restaurants are better than others?[/quote]

We have enjoyed both equally.........each has it's advantages simply depends on what you are looking for AND your personal preferences!!!

Now to address this specific comment, you will notice a difference in food quality (it is prepared for fewer people and presented differently......enough said), so your DH will see 'value'.......let alone the dining experience (romantic setting, etc).

BTW your DH is NOT CHEAP per se, you live in Michigan........so there!!! :p

Bruce

[quote name='bbrad8']We have enjoyed both equally.........each has it's advantages simply depends on what you are looking for AND your personal preferences!!!

Now to address this specific comment, you will notice a difference in food quality (it is prepared for fewer people and presented differently......enough said), so your DH will see 'value'.......let alone the dining experience (romantic setting, etc).

BTW your DH is NOT CHEAP per se, you live in Michigan........so there!!! :p

Bruce[/quote]

I know----Fellow Michigander, you will appreciate this... He is not cheap, but he IS DUTCH! LOL He has a sense of humor about it, so it is okay that I post that here!

[quote name='Mokaheena']Thank for the helpful responses! We were leaning towards Portifino, and I beleive that is the decision we are going to make. I am so excited! We will likely try Chops on our next cruise, or maybe splurge for both. (the reason we can only do one is because we only have one night not planned with the people we are cruising with.)

Okay, now that we have made a decision: What should we order? DH is allergic to any and all seafood, so he will probably get the filet. What is offered on the menu and what is your favorites? And one more question about dessert: Can you get more than one? I feel that I would have to try the chocolate and the tiramisu.[/QUOTE]

I too am extremely allergic to all Seafood, I have had both the steak and the chicken, both were excellent, and the Tiramusu is the best dessert ever

[quote name='fkalish']I too am extremely allergic to all Seafood, I have had both the steak and the chicken, both were excellent, and the Tiramusu is the best dessert ever[/quote]

Thanks for this! My DH was worried. He is not so allergic that he can't be around seafood (his mom can't even smell it without having a reaction), and it would not kill him if he ate it, but it does bother him enough that he just avoids it all together. He loved hearing the menu and knowing he can get the steak AND pasta! LOL

[quote name='Mokaheena']I know----Fellow Michigander, you will appreciate this... He is not cheap, but he IS DUTCH! LOL He has a sense of humor about it, so it is okay that I post that here![/quote]

Now you will appreciate this......I am NOT Dutch, but I have been accused of it!!!! :D It is the ONLY way to survive in this state at the moment. ;)

Bruce

I have been to both and I prefer Portifinos...my husband on the other hand prefers Chops. The filet is great either venue but my husband is a die hard steak and baked potato fan and it was a horrible experience getting him a baked potato at Portifinos. It is the way it is on the menu or your wait time before you eat is excrutiating. I kept telling him just eat the mashed potato and he didn't want it. LOL as I said die hard baked potato fan.. We laugh about it now but we were with another couple we met on the ship and I felt for them having to wait extra long to get their meal! The wait staff had to go to the main DR to get a baked potato ... the ship we were on at the time only had Portofinos. You will enjoy either venue but I just wanted you to be aware there are drawbacks no matter which way you go. Also Chops veggies are served family style which means enough veggies to feed two to four people! LOL Enjoy I know you will! :D

[quote name='bbrad8']Now you will appreciate this......I am NOT Dutch, but I have been accused of it!!!! :D It is the ONLY way to survive in this state at the moment. ;)

Bruce[/quote]
I have a hard time convicing people I am not Dutch! My married name is Hoeksema, I went to Calvin, I am blonde, and my husband definitely has the Dutch look! He is also very good with budgeting and accounting. So... I just have to pretend I am Dutch and we get along fine!

We ate at both Chops and Portofinos on the Mariner. They were the same price at that time.

We much preferred Portofinos. Not to take anything away from Chops but for us...including our personal preferences...Portofinos would be the choice if we could only have one.

The highlights were their delicious goat cheese souffle and the service! LOVED THEM!

Archived