Orient crowded?

steilkurve

It's pretty subjective what people think are crowded beaches. Here is Orient Bay on a weekday around 1pm in March 2008.

DSC07836a.jpg

DSC07850.jpg

The top picture is looking North on the beach. It is wider up there and not too crowded to say the least. The further north you walk generally the less crowded it gets.

The bottom picture is looking south from mid beach and it is narrower with a lot more "stuff" down there...snack shacks, chair rentals, little shops, etc.

If you book a ship's tour, then you will be dumped into the reserved area for the ship's tour's bookings, which could be crowded, or not.

If you just take a taxi over on your own, then you can wander the beach and select the perfect location for your tastes, probably at a much cheaper cost.

I've never seen Orient run out of beach chairs.

Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

gary

If you just take a taxi over on your own, then you can wander the beach and select the perfect location for your tastes, probably at a much cheaper cost.

I've never seen Orient run out of beach chairs.

Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

gary

I agree. There's always lots of beach chairs even on the day with 6 cruise ships in. I always rent a car so we can make 2 or 3 stops during the day.

Most of the bars have arrangements with one another to borrow chairs if they run out. Since Club O is unique, they are limited to the chairs they own.

Club O is probably more crowded because with the bad economy, many visitors have not only lost their home, but also their clothing.

Indeed. Thanks. By cab we will go then!

just got back last week. we had a great beach day at Orient.

we cabbed over ($9 pp, i believe) at approximately 9-930 am. our driver suggested Kakao Beach, which is about midway on Orient. it was a terrific selection. we were almost the first people out there and got two chairs ($10 each) on the front row. the 2nd and 3rd row seats were a little cheaper. believe me...the sights before 1030am were not pretty from a people watching standpoint :eek:! why a 300 lb woman thinks it is a good idea to walk the beach topless is a mystery...but i digress.

Kakao Beach was fantastic. very clean bar/restaurant only steps away...along with restrooms and showers. also a little shop onsite.

Our cab driver agreed to meet us at 1pm. He was there early.

Highly recommend Kakao Beach!!

Thanks all. That's really my question. If we go on our own, will getting chairs be tough?

We've never had any problems getting chairs on Orient Beach, and we always go on our own... There are plenty of vendors who would be happy to rent you a chair or two :)

.....he's considered by those in the know to be the King of The Orient! Oh - if you're talking to him, please let him know some old friends are looking for him back on the Princess board. Seems somebody just got out of jail or something.......

Gumby

Hard to say. One moment I was in Carlos & Charlie's looking for a yellow thong.....next thing I knew I was in a crowbar hotel somewhere near Denver!

Tried to catch up with you guys on the Princess board but got banished to the Floataway Lounge...whatever that is.

It makes sense that I'd find you in the midst of things Oriental.......any news from PG or the rest of the reprobates from a few years ago?

Does Club Orient rent chairs or are they just for guests of the Club? We usually go for a wander down the entire beach to the south end, but always park up towards the north.

Any one can rent there - just select chairs that do not have tags on them (indicating reserved) and one of the beach workers will eventually find you. $18 for two chairs and an umbrella. The busiest area seems to always be near the Perch bar. We like the area down near the Club Orient Papagayo restaurant better, mainly because of the nice rest rooms and the outdoor shower located there, plus we like to eat lunch in their restaurant. Wear what you want at lunch - just remember to always sit on a towel.

I think Kal is right - must be the bad economy because there were more people without clothes at Club Orient than in any other time we've been there. Plus more people walking the beach trying to look without seeming to look. I bet many of them will be back...

To us, it's the best place on Orient for calm water swimming - and you don't have to get your suit wet.

.......any news from PG or the rest of the reprobates from a few years ago?

As you know, The PG is an avid car fancier. The last I heard she had her eye on a Woodie. Yeah Dude, Surf's Up in the Denver area! ;)

As you know, The PG is an avid car fancier. The last I heard she had her eye on a Woodie. Yeah Dude, Surf's Up in the Denver area! ;)

Congratulations! That Woodie has obviously made a few detours lately - nice to hear it's wound up in thong heaven........pass along my regards!

Alas the day pass is just about over......

Gumby - I'll be hanging out at Orient this year from April 18 thru May 8th. For part of that time I will be on assignment to solve the "umbrella conspiracy". With this global recession there is a huge shortage of the little umbrellas that were a tradition in every mixed drink. Ohhhh the HORROR of ice cubes being exposed to the harmful rays of the sun!!! :eek:

I'll use the skills perfected in the successful solution to the previous "thong conspiracy". It's a tough job but someone's got to do it. :cool:

Archived