Washers & Dryers on the Spirit

Missabby

We are on the Spirit beginning May 23rd. Our last Seabourn cruise was in mid-2006 on the Pride to Norway, the UK and Ireland. We used the washers and dryers several times on this 14-day cruise; however, they were in pitiful shape. The machines were quite old, as noted by extensive rust on sheet metal pieces and parts, corrosion on the piping, and the constant presence of the repairman. Of the two sets of machines, he managed to keep at least one operating most of the time. They were in dire need of replacement. These machines were in almost constant use by passengers.

Can anyone give us a recent update on the condition of the washers and dryers on the Spirit? Given the introduction of the new ships into the Seabourn fleet, my fear is that Seabourn will do nothing to upgrade facilities like these on the older sisters.

We are on the Spirit beginning May 23rd. Our last Seabourn cruise was in mid-2006 on the Pride to Norway, the UK and Ireland. We used the washers and dryers several times on this 14-day cruise; however, they were in pitiful shape. The machines were quite old, as noted by extensive rust on sheet metal pieces and parts, corrosion on the piping, and the constant presence of the repairman. Of the two sets of machines, he managed to keep at least one operating most of the time. They were in dire need of replacement. These machines were in almost constant use by passengers.

Can anyone give us a recent update on the condition of the washers and dryers on the Spirit? Given the introduction of the new ships into the Seabourn fleet, my fear is that Seabourn will do nothing to upgrade facilities like these on the older sisters.

Sounds a bit like our experience on Spirit, although the repairmen managed to keep both sets working most of the time. One of the machines was so loud it was almost painful to stay in the room while it was running.

One of the metal 'blades' in a drier came loose and shredded people's clothes until it was removed.

Worse was the tantrum like behaviour of some of the passengers. If you've ever used a ship laundry, you know the drill. Clothes left in machines for hours, clothes flung on the floor, indignant 'How dare you touch my clothes' types; ironing board hogs and people who expect you to leave because they want to use the ironing board.

Cheers,

Steve.

I also prefer to do my own laundry......most stuff I pack is non iron so that makes it easier. Hubbys good shirts we send to the laundry service though...I hate ironing shirts!! :p We find the best time to use the laundry room is very early morning...if one of you happens to be an early riser! :eek: Luckily John got seasick a couple of times and woke early....so that was perfect.......by the time I crawled out of bed the washing was done!! Might even take him with me again next time! :D

Hi

We were on Spirit, HK to Singapore 3rd Jan this year.

No problems with the machines, just a 30 degree tilt on the ironing board!

Have a great trip

Mike

GrannyLorr,

Can I borrow your husband ?Mine has never seen the inside of a laundry room. The other night when he spilled something on his shirt at dinner I suggested he take run it through our washing machine so the stain would not set. After 5 minutes he came back and asked me how it worked ( we have only been in this house for four years!)

This thread is about the Spirit, but I'm happy to report the Pride has replaced its original laundry equipment. In December, both washers and dryers worked. Only used the "hot" cycle as I sent the outer garments to the ship's laundry. I used the machines for undergarments and they came out perfectly clean, but the cycle did take nearly 1 hour 20 minutes.

The dryers had the heavy cotton wash dry in 50 minutes. This is much improved over the earlier models.

I know a lot of people think that a laundry room is not necessary on a luxury cruise line. I see it differently - it's included ... no need for a roll of quarters for those of us who prefer that others don't touch our undergarments. So, I guess I'm glad not everyone uses the free self-laundry - otherwise there would be quite a line!

As for the iron, there was no obtuse angle of the ironing board on the Pride.

Mr. French (no, that would be johnny)

GrannyLorr,

Can I borrow your husband ?Mine has never seen the inside of a laundry room. The other night when he spilled something on his shirt at dinner I suggested he take run it through our washing machine so the stain would not set. After 5 minutes he came back and asked me how it worked ( we have only been in this house for four years!)

Had to chuckle at that one...seems he is not unique to the breed! :eek:

Chairsin....you have to "train" them early!! ;) Having said that though, the "secrets" on how to load a dishwasher seem to have completely escaped him!! :rolleyes:.........and yes you can borrow him, I quite often say I am looking for a good home for him!

Archived