Big Shrimp Cocktail $17?

ME Guide

Just read on HAL site that there is now a charge for requesting a shrimp cocktail on the nights not offered? Has anyone had this happened?:confused:

On all of the lines I've cruised, I've often asked for shrimp cocktail and received it with a smile! Often it would be waiting for me along with my favorite wine. oh..I love shrimp!!!

Just read on HAL site that there is now a charge for requesting a shrimp cocktail on the nights not offered? Has anyone had this happened?:confused:

On all of the lines I've cruised, I've often asked for shrimp cocktail and received it with a smile! Often it would be waiting for me along with my favorite wine. oh..I love shrimp!!!

That really surprises me considering what sounds to me like Carnival Corp's (parent of HAL) aversion to upcharging guests in the main dining room. John Heald openly pokes fun at the fact that RCCL charges for a steak upgrade in the MDR and for late-night room service, saying that Carnival would reserve dining upcharges for the premium restaurants only.

I think that adding an upcharge for something like shrimp cocktail is a big step in the wrong direction, especially for an upscale line like HAL.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at a Question & Answer session on HAL when this came up.

Yes HAL now charges for the BIG (prawn size shrimp) cocktails if you get it on a night it is not on the menu.

The hotel manager confirmed that they are charing $17.

But you can get the Bay Shrimp cocktail any night without a charge.

• 6 months later...

Archived